Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Racism Issue  (Read 21310 times)

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Racism Issue
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2005, 11:21:26 AM »
Well, on the "theme" of racism. Did ya'll hear that at (I believe?) the University of IL had to bus the minority students off of campus b/c of racist threats they were receiving? They had to move them to hotels that are under police guard.

It's the year 2005................

WTF??? How the hell is this not getting anymore attention!!! I saw this on the news and now I've seen nothing else. Does this not seem crazy to people!! I mean, seriously, the threats had to be serious for the school to actually BUS these students off-campus under police guard. And we have mofos on this here talking about racism isn't as prevalent today  ::)

was this all minorities or just af-am's?  i'm appalled either way but curious if the threats were exclusive to one particular group.  racist bastards.

I don't think the threats were exclusive, the news kept saying minority students. my god, we can't even go and try to get an education!

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2005, 11:23:47 AM »
Well, on the "theme" of racism. Did ya'll hear that at (I believe?) the University of IL had to bus the minority students off of campus b/c of racist threats they were receiving? They had to move them to hotels that are under police guard.

It is a shame that things like this still go on and it goes underreported.  They dont ever want us to become educated.  Why do you think slaves were forbidden from learning to read.  They more education an oppressed people get, the more dangerous they are and the harder it is to keep them down.  That is why it is vitally important for each and ever one of us to continue getting education and learning as much as possible.
Back in the saddle again.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2005, 11:24:45 AM »

WTF??? How the hell is this not getting anymore attention!!! I saw this on the news and now I've seen nothing else. Does this not seem crazy to people!! I mean, seriously, the threats had to be serious for the school to actually BUS these students off-campus under police guard. And we have mofos on this here talking about racism isn't as prevalent today  ::)

This is definitely very serious. It's shocking to think that it still goes on today, amongst people who are supposedly well educated. But what do you do when you're so greatly outnumbered? It's a cryin' shame.

I tried to find something on it online but couldn't find anything.  Any links anyone? Lady?

This is exactly why I'm so pissed, I saw it on the local news early this morning and now nothing afterwards.

Blk- sorry, I don't know  :-\

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2005, 11:26:44 AM »
No it was not bad for me. I had my boy that I hung out with, a cat I met the very first day, and we hung tight the entire time we were there. What made it much worse was some of the attitudes of the black folk there. Remember now, UF is the flagship school of the state and so, everyone that gets in there thinks they got into the Harvard of the state of florida. They have greatly improved their facilities recently and dont get me wrong, I enjoyed myself there as I was preparing to do what I had always dreamed of doing. Are you saying the facilities are small or the student body? I dont think the student body is all that small. There are give or take somewhere in the neighborhood 1200 students there.

The facilities were small, but they were doing massive construction so by the time I get there (If I do decide to go there), it will be more than twice its size. But the school is beautiful, and it's extremely competitive, so I can understand why people might feel high and mighty once they get in. But at least you had a good experience which is encouraging.

Yes, you are right, they were, but you got the see that they were doing construction and it is almost complete, from what I hear.  Yes, it is competitive.  I can understand it as well but you have to fight the urge to swell up and start to smell yourself.  I believe in staying humble.  Yes, I had a good experience.  I am a friendly kind of person who gets along with my people and YT.  Everyone has a different experience.  Every individual is going to have a difference experience.

You're right, everyone has a different experience. But FL is the place to be, especially UF. I don't know if I've ever seen a more beautiful and lively campus (undergrad) in my life. And people there seemed to be pretty nice when I visited.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2005, 11:34:09 AM »

It is a shame that things like this still go on and it goes underreported.  They dont ever want us to become educated.  Why do you think slaves were forbidden from learning to read.  They more education an oppressed people get, the more dangerous they are and the harder it is to keep them down.  That is why it is vitally important for each and ever one of us to continue getting education and learning as much as possible.

That's why I hate it when people say things like: this is America and Black people should stop complaining and do for themselves like everyone else. How can you move up in life if every step of the way there is some one doing everything in their power to knock you back down? People don't seem to understand all that minorities go through. When we accomplish something it's always despite the odds.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2005, 11:39:05 AM »
No it was not bad for me. I had my boy that I hung out with, a cat I met the very first day, and we hung tight the entire time we were there. What made it much worse was some of the attitudes of the black folk there. Remember now, UF is the flagship school of the state and so, everyone that gets in there thinks they got into the Harvard of the state of florida. They have greatly improved their facilities recently and dont get me wrong, I enjoyed myself there as I was preparing to do what I had always dreamed of doing. Are you saying the facilities are small or the student body? I dont think the student body is all that small. There are give or take somewhere in the neighborhood 1200 students there.

The facilities were small, but they were doing massive construction so by the time I get there (If I do decide to go there), it will be more than twice its size. But the school is beautiful, and it's extremely competitive, so I can understand why people might feel high and mighty once they get in. But at least you had a good experience which is encouraging.

Yes, you are right, they were, but you got the see that they were doing construction and it is almost complete, from what I hear.  Yes, it is competitive.  I can understand it as well but you have to fight the urge to swell up and start to smell yourself.  I believe in staying humble.  Yes, I had a good experience.  I am a friendly kind of person who gets along with my people and YT.  Everyone has a different experience.  Every individual is going to have a difference experience.

You're right, everyone has a different experience. But FL is the place to be, especially UF. I don't know if I've ever seen a more beautiful and lively campus (undergrad) in my life. And people there seemed to be pretty nice when I visited.

FL is the place to be, especially UF?  Are you from Florida?  Hey, maybe florida is the place to be, I am moving back there.  You might just be right.  It is a very beautiful campus.  But you wont get to spend very much time on the campus outside of the little edge that the law school is on.  ;D  The people are pretty nice, and that is one of the things I tell people.  Be prepared as there is VERY LITTLE to do in Gainesville.  <--- a true college town.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2005, 11:44:03 AM »

That's why I hate it when people say things like: this is America and Black people should stop complaining and do for themselves like everyone else. How can you move up in life if every step of the way there is some one doing everything in their power to knock you back down? People don't seem to understand all that minorities go through. When we accomplish something it's always despite the odds.

The reason racism still exists is because white people dont want to give their power up.  Those who have power dont give it up without a fight.  White people have this mentality that they are owed something, and when they dont get it they blame the only person they can find, minorities.  I dont want you on my campus.  I am going to call in and threaten you.  I didnt get into law school, a minority MUST have taken my place.  They white people who are extremely insecure are the ones who like to cause the  trouble and attack minorities.  White people dont see things that way...that we accomplish something inspite of the odds aginst us....they think it is easy being black.  I wish every white person could live life as a person of color for a year (without knowing that they have the ability to go back to the old way).  they will see things in a very different way.

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2005, 11:53:49 AM »
My family is from Gainesville so I spend a lot of time there. It's true, the only thing going is the school, but that's cool with me! At least it's warm, I don't know how many more NY winters I can take.

seu2002

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2005, 11:58:22 AM »

The reason racism still exists is because white people dont want to give their power up.  Those who have power dont give it up without a fight.  White people have this mentality that they are owed something, and when they dont get it they blame the only person they can find, minorities.  I dont want you on my campus.  I am going to call in and threaten you.  I didnt get into law school, a minority MUST have taken my place.  They white people who are extremely insecure are the ones who like to cause the  trouble and attack minorities.  White people dont see things that way...that we accomplish something inspite of the odds aginst us....they think it is easy being black.  I wish every white person could live life as a person of color for a year (without knowing that they have the ability to go back to the old way).  they will see things in a very different way.

i have no idea what it's like to be black, but i am a mexican.  i AM a person of color, and as light as my skin is, i still look like a mexican.  i agree with you.  the odds are against my people as well.  i too wish that a white person could live as a mexican for even a week.  and i'm not talking about an uncommon educated mexican like myself.  i'm talking about mexicans like my cousins who don't know a lick of english. 

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2005, 12:04:14 PM »
I don't know if this is an appropriate place for this question, but any suggestions on how a white person can be a good ally on a law school campus?