Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Racism Issue  (Read 21812 times)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: The Racism Issue
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 09:47:26 PM »
Omega - I ain't sayin sh!t.  [lookin at LadyDay and her big mouth]

BP (oracle, or whatever you're callin yourself nowadays) - IN DA TRENCHES, son!  Smackin bobbies and beckies every other class. It would come in waves though.  There would be a whole semester of peace, and then some cat would put an article in the paper talking about Black Fraternities and Sororities are no longer necessary because black people can just join the White groups now.... :P  I wrote so many damn rebuttals to the campus newspaper I became a guest editor by default. Before there was an BLSD I was puttin cats on wax at my school, blastin they asses in the public forum.  Ahhhhh the memories.

So yeah, kid, when it came time to go to law school it was time to be up.  East Coast is beautiful, but I ain't tellin you nothing you don't already know.  I'm trying to get where you're at.

Funny thing about goin to an HBCU, my boys who went to an HBCU in Missouri would always tell me they would go to the state schools which were predominantly white, and would be talkin to sisters at those schools and having a good convo and vibin and everything, but then whenever the sisters would  ask them what school they went to and they would answer with the name of their HBCU the whole attitude would change. The sisters would be like "Oh" and walk off with the noses in the air every single time, without fail.  But the funny part is, those same sisters would be at that same HBCU everytime there was a stepshow or greek party.  My peoples....can't get right!

this post is too long, #%@!. make it shorter.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

From Nebraska

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2005, 11:20:32 PM »

Yeah we've all seen belly we know about Black folks in Nebraska ;D
Peace I think one think that can help and sands can work on this is that I think Admissions Deans and such at law schools especially majority white one trying to increase diversity should all attend the NBLSA conference. I cant tell you how perceptions change about schools once you see them handle there business. I mean SMU was NBLSA chapter of the year, who would have thought that, and UVA, and I met many Ques from Oklahoma, despite haters like Sands asking folks, "There are Ques in law school? and many other school gave people a very good impression on how black folks work together in the tense environment of law school at a majority white school

damn, Damn, DAMN!!! It never fails...Belly! 
Yes, there are black people in Nebraska!

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2005, 11:52:22 PM »
I'm cooler than most people. I'm going to take over the world and kill off anyone who is four shades lighter than me.

(just tagging the thread that's all) ;D
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2005, 08:50:56 AM »
Well, on the "theme" of racism. Did ya'll hear that at (I believe?) the University of IL had to bus the minority students off of campus b/c of racist threats they were receiving? They had to move them to hotels that are under police guard.

It's the year 2005................

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2005, 09:16:15 AM »
We all know that all men are not created equal in this country, but in terms of higher education, has the racism African Americans face at predominantly white schools subsided? I've heard some stories, but I would love to hear from some one who has experience at one of these schools. How are you holding up?

An example on my undergrad campus of racism that was my first smack in the face was my sophmore year.  I was an English major and in this department you had to apply to get in.  There were only a couple of majors where they could tell you No you can't be a part of our department...needless to say there was only a hanful of "us" in the department.  But that's another story all together....Ok I was also taking some AFAM Studies courses so that I could see Black people during the day.  (u laugh but I am sooo Serious)  Well my AFAM History class was in this small basement class with like 25 seats and 30 something people enrolled.  People were sitting all on the window seal on the floor it was crazy...and HOT as all hell in there.....Now my other friend who was taking an English course at the exact same time was in a classroom 2 floors up with like 40 seats and like 15 people in the class......Coincidental.... ::)
If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got!

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2005, 09:49:34 AM »
We all know that all men are not created equal in this country, but in terms of higher education, has the racism African Americans face at predominantly white schools subsided? I've heard some stories, but I would love to hear from some one who has experience at one of these schools. How are you holding up?

An example on my undergrad campus of racism that was my first smack in the face was my sophmore year.  I was an English major and in this department you had to apply to get in.  There were only a couple of majors where they could tell you No you can't be a part of our department...needless to say there was only a hanful of "us" in the department.  But that's another story all together....Ok I was also taking some AFAM Studies courses so that I could see Black people during the day.  (u laugh but I am sooo Serious)  Well my AFAM History class was in this small basement class with like 25 seats and 30 something people enrolled.  People were sitting all on the window seal on the floor it was crazy...and HOT as all hell in there.....Now my other friend who was taking an English course at the exact same time was in a classroom 2 floors up with like 40 seats and like 15 people in the class......Coincidental.... ::)

I think not!
Back in the saddle again.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2005, 10:09:20 AM »
i thought I was the only one that went through that lol...i would find myself looking through faculty profiles online to see who the black professors were in my major...

but here’s another example of racism IMO.. my ug has sense taken the original article down (go figure) from their student newspaper however here’s the backstory.. Julian Bond (chairman of NAACP) is an associate professor there.. one of the white editors decided to write an article attacking the NAACP (during black history month no doubt) about their stance on Bush’s recent developments regarding SSI… Now ya’ll know Bond had to respond to that… here it is in italics..

Dear Editor:

It is difficult, if not impossible, to respond to ad hominem attacks, but I'll try.

Seth Johnson, in his Feb. 21 column titled "NAACP without a clue," argues that the NAACP is wrong in its approach to President Bush's Social Security privatization schemes because more black than white couples are dependent on Social Security for retirement income. Changing the system from a guarantee to a gamble threatens people of color more.

The heavy black reliance on Social Security argues for addressing the issues that create this stark racial imbalance, not for fixing something that's demonstrably not broken. The respected, nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office argues that the president's predictions of the system's imminent collapse are ill-founded.

In any case, no one - not even the president - argues that privatization will cure the system's ills, real or imagined.

Johnson argues that Social Security's returns are lower than market rates. But this was never intended to be a competitor with or substitute for private retirement plans - its called Social Security, not broker security.

And by the way - I graduated from a private high school.

Julian Bond
Chairman, NAACP
Associate Professor, American University

Now can you believe that someone would have the balls to attack NAACP knowing that the chairman is a professor there?

Ok I was also taking some AFAM Studies courses so that I could see Black people during the day.  (u laugh but I am sooo Serious) 
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2005, 10:18:43 AM »
i thought I was the only one that went through that lol...i would find myself looking through faculty profiles online to see who the black professors were in my major...

but here’s another example of racism IMO.. my ug has sense taken the original article down (go figure) from their student newspaper however here’s the backstory.. Julian Bond (chairman of NAACP) is an associate professor there.. one of the white editors decided to write an article attacking the NAACP (during black history month no doubt) about their stance on Bush’s recent developments regarding SSI… Now ya’ll know Bond had to respond to that… here it is in italics..

Dear Editor:

It is difficult, if not impossible, to respond to ad hominem attacks, but I'll try.

Seth Johnson, in his Feb. 21 column titled "NAACP without a clue," argues that the NAACP is wrong in its approach to President Bush's Social Security privatization schemes because more black than white couples are dependent on Social Security for retirement income. Changing the system from a guarantee to a gamble threatens people of color more.

The heavy black reliance on Social Security argues for addressing the issues that create this stark racial imbalance, not for fixing something that's demonstrably not broken. The respected, nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office argues that the president's predictions of the system's imminent collapse are ill-founded.

In any case, no one - not even the president - argues that privatization will cure the system's ills, real or imagined.

Johnson argues that Social Security's returns are lower than market rates. But this was never intended to be a competitor with or substitute for private retirement plans - its called Social Security, not broker security.

And by the way - I graduated from a private high school.

Julian Bond
Chairman, NAACP
Associate Professor, American University

Now can you believe that someone would have the balls to attack NAACP knowing that the chairman is a professor there?

Ok I was also taking some AFAM Studies courses so that I could see Black people during the day.  (u laugh but I am sooo Serious) 

Yes, I can believe it.  YT is arrogant.  They think they are more intelligent than someone of color who clearly is more intelligent.  You are going to find lawyers who think that, undergrads, and even law students who think they know more than the professor of color or a female professor.  Professor Bond knows just as others know, he is always having to argue down some white person with far less knowledge. 

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2005, 10:25:25 AM »
Another example is the disdain that a lot of the students (about 50 students signed this article but I’ll protect the guilty lol) had for some of the student organizations, and multicultural affairs (no doubt) and political unions deciding to have Bobby Seale speak (again during black history month)

Dear Editor:

We are extremely disappointed that the Community Action and Social Justice Organization, College of Arts and Sciences Graduate Leadership Council, Office of Multicultural Affairs, Graduate Student Association, the Kennedy Political Union, and the departments of history, philosophy and sociology (A Black professor is co-chair of this dept)have decided to bring Bobby Seale to campus.  

While we recognize and greatly appreciate the right to free speech, we wish that these organizations would choose their speakers more wisely.

It's one thing to be a Marxist revolutionary opposed to capitalism. It is quite another to be the founder of an organization linked to countless murders and hateful rhetoric.

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2005, 10:37:49 AM »
Another example is the disdain that a lot of the students (about 50 students signed this article but I’ll protect the guilty lol) had for some of the student organizations, and multicultural affairs (no doubt) and political unions deciding to have Bobby Seale speak (again during black history month)

Dear Editor:

We are extremely disappointed that the Community Action and Social Justice Organization, College of Arts and Sciences Graduate Leadership Council, Office of Multicultural Affairs, Graduate Student Association, the Kennedy Political Union, and the departments of history, philosophy and sociology (A Black professor is co-chair of this dept)have decided to bring Bobby Seale to campus.  

While we recognize and greatly appreciate the right to free speech, we wish that these organizations would choose their speakers more wisely.

It's one thing to be a Marxist revolutionary opposed to capitalism. It is quite another to be the founder of an organization linked to countless murders and hateful rhetoric.

"we wish that these organizations would choose their speakers more wisely???????"  Oh, I guess what is white for we dont approve and you should have run this by us so that we can tell you who we think you should invite!!!