Law School Discussion

The Racism Issue

Re: The Racism Issue
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2005, 01:26:20 PM »
Man I have this story where I was at a Korean nail shop getting a pedicure when these two black women started a conversation with me. One of them was a postal worker and the other was a young (no more than 25) self proclaimed welfare check  queen (her words not mine.). Anyway the welfare queen proceeded to tell me that I wasn't black enough b/c I hadn't experienced ghetto life. I was thinking to myself” does this broad know that my one of my parents was a black panther?" I was just gravely insulted because of how could some broad who barely knows me determine that I'm not black enough b/c of where I grew up? Ironically when I started to debate her (b/c it's in my nature but it wasn't much of a debate if you get my drift) and brought up various theorist on black life ranging from Web Dubois and  Booker T. Washington, to Marcus Garvey, this broad had no idea what I was talking about. My point is that different experiences is what makes black life so unique. Not everyone should be lumped into this one group.

The same goes for blacks who are conservative. Why criticize blacks who are Republicans? It’s not like the other political parties are actually doing us much of a favor anyway.

Wow that's crazy blq...Poor Condi.. :'(

And then there's the question of what makes a person "really" black. It's dumb that we even ask ourselves this and then say that some one is less black because they have money or a good education or don't have any family members in jail. There's such diversity in the black community. Trying to measure people's "blackness" is the ultimate stupidity.

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2005, 01:29:02 PM »
I agree, but it goes on all the time. The bottom line is that we are human beings and it is in our nature to exploit differences between each other.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2005, 01:30:45 PM »

And then there's the question of what makes a person "really" black. It's dumb that we even ask ourselves this and then say that some one is less black because they have money or a good education or don't have any family members in jail. There's such diversity in the black community. Trying to measure people's "blackness" is the ultimate stupidity.

Here Here!!!!!

Omegaman

• Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2005, 01:34:33 PM »
Man I have this story where I was at a Korean nail shop getting a pedicure when these two black women started a conversation with me. One of them was a postal worker and the other was a young (no more than 25) self proclaimed welfare check  queen (her words not mine.). Anyway the welfare queen proceeded to tell me that I wasn't black enough b/c I hadn't experienced ghetto life. I was thinking to myself” does this broad know that my one of my parents was a black panther?" I was just gravely insulted because of how could some broad who barely knows me determine that I'm not black enough b/c of where I grew up? Ironically when I started to debate her (b/c it's in my nature but it wasn't much of a debate if you get my drift) and brought up various theorist on black life ranging from Web Dubois and  Booker T. Washington, to Marcus Garvey, this broad had no idea what I was talking about. My point is that different experiences is what makes black life so unique. Not everyone should be lumped into this one group.

The same goes for blacks who are conservative. Why criticize blacks who are Republicans? It’s not like the other political parties are actually doing us much of a favor anyway.

And then there's the question of what makes a person "really" black. It's dumb that we even ask ourselves this and then say that some one is less black because they have money or a good education or don't have any family members in jail. There's suck diversity in the black community. Trying to measure people's "blackness" is the ultimate stupidity.

The myth of the Black Monolith. You are who you are. No one should ever feel ashamed about having been successful in this society. But I get this alot being from Coloardo like somehow white men are different here, and when I was in the Army Nikkas from big cities would always make little  snide comments, but id rather be hated on than broke. thats the beauty of america.

« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2005, 01:38:28 PM »

And then there's the question of what makes a person "really" black. It's dumb that we even ask ourselves this and then say that some one is less black because they have money or a good education or don't have any family members in jail. There's suck diversity in the black community. Trying to measure people's "blackness" is the ultimate stupidity.

The myth of the Black Monolith. You are who you are. No one should ever feel ashamed about having been successful in this society. But I get this alot being from Coloardo like somehow white men are different here, and when I was in the Army Nikkas from big cities would always make little  snide comments, but id rather be hated on than broke. thats the beauty of america.

Maybe the reason they hate on you is because you have money. That's how it is, everybody wants to be better and when you have something they don't they try to belittle it.

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2005, 01:41:01 PM »
Omegaman...trust me, I have NO SHAME. I'm quite pleased with myself and how I grew up.  ;D

The problem is controlling myself when I hear such ignorant comments because some really f*cked up mess might fly out of my mouth.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2005, 01:45:55 PM »
We should form a new political party in america man. Let's call it the Minority-Majority party. Latinos and Blacks will take over! Are you guys with me!!??  >:(   

seu2002

« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2005, 01:49:22 PM »
do they have a choice?  you're the mod.   ;)

i second that motion.

« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
Bring it…

We should form a new political party in america man. Let's call it the Minority-Majority party. Latinos and Blacks will take over! Are you guys with me!!??  >:(   

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2005, 01:50:24 PM »
Nah. Too many minorities gives me hives.  :-X

WHITE POWER!