Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC Financial Aid Appeal Results  (Read 2415 times)

maybeme

• View Profile
Re: BC Financial Aid Appeal Results
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2005, 11:40:10 PM »
Yes, please go to Duke (that is, if you get off the waitlist...).
I would love to get that 1/2 tuition scholarship that you are about to throw away!

Are you being sarcastic? 

Actually, no I am not!  I think it is quite ridiculous to complain about getting 1/2 tuition at such a great school!  Expecially by someone who has not-fantastic numbers! I am a high LSAT scorer, and I got no money-- oh, sorry- 10k/yr in unsubsidized loans.  My parents are wealthy, but I am not, and I am paying for it all.
And truthfully, I think it is pretty crappy that you say such poor things about your potential soon-to-be-school. Not to be incredibly rude, but BC wanted you, and other schools didn't.  You should be happy you got in, and if you aren't, then withdraw and reapply elsewhere next year (maybe somewhere of your "caliber" may actually accept you!). There are lots of people who would be ecstatic to go to BC, so give them a chance! 
And gosh... if my future classmates are all like you, I think the wonderful community that BC has going will FLY out the window.

frostm3

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 12:14:25 AM »
Actually, no I am not!  I think it is quite ridiculous to complain about getting 1/2 tuition at such a great school!  Expecially by someone who has not-fantastic numbers! I am a high LSAT scorer, and I got no money-- oh, sorry- 10k/yr in unsubsidized loans.  My parents are wealthy, but I am not, and I am paying for it all.
And truthfully, I think it is pretty crappy that you say such poor things about your potential soon-to-be-school. Not to be incredibly rude, but BC wanted you, and other schools didn't.  You should be happy you got in, and if you aren't, then withdraw and reapply elsewhere next year (maybe somewhere of your "caliber" may actually accept you!). There are lots of people who would be ecstatic to go to BC, so give them a chance! 
And gosh... if my future classmates are all like you, I think the wonderful community that BC has going will FLY out the window.

I agree completely. The OP seems pretty ungrateful despite his situtation (I got no scholarship from BC as well, only loans, despite a 169 LSAT).

FYI - I'm picking BC over GULC, and not even bothering with my UVA waitlist. So to the OP: you're definitely not "selling yourself short" by going to BC. You should be thankful to be accepted by BC (with a great fin aid package to boot), since they are one of the very few top schools to look past mediocre LSAT scores.

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 12:18:21 AM »
lol I'm glad someone finally called the OP out on that...

frostm3...why BC over GULC?

frostm3

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 12:31:13 AM »
lol I'm glad someone finally called the OP out on that...

frostm3...why BC over GULC?

Mainly because of location. I grew up in Boston and love it here. I'd think that my prospects of working in Boston coming out of BC is probably same as coming from GULC, so I might as well spend the next 3 years in a city where I'm more familiar and comfortable with.

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 12:45:46 AM »
I have to say, you are the first person to say/do this on here that I know of and it is nice to have a different perspective. I myself am debating just giving up on the wait list hell and preparing for BC because of the location as well. I have a lot of friends working in Boston and I have family in New England. Deciding sooner rather than later will help a lot for roommates, etc, and frankly, I love Boston as well.

Do you know that you want to stay in Boston after school no matter what? Did you visit GULC? What kind of law are you interested in?

Sorry to pester you, but I am starving for a different opinion.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 01:12:33 PM »
Hrm, I guess teh main difference is that you are saying I should be thankful a school wanted me, whereas I view an admission as what I earned from my work.

I understand that as far as law school applicants go, I'm not at the top of any lists.  The comment about selling myself short at BC stems from the fact that I have a tough time not translating my qualifications as a computer engineering or economics graduate applicant to that of a law school applicant.  In the case of either of my majors, I have been accepted to graduate programs I feel are more what I was looking for.  BC is not in the same ranking area as those schools.

But, all this info is only if you actually care.  If you just want to harass me for getting down on BC, go right ahead :)
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

karita624

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2005, 01:23:37 PM »
Hrm, I guess teh main difference is that you are saying I should be thankful a school wanted me, whereas I view an admission as what I earned from my work.

I understand that as far as law school applicants go, I'm not at the top of any lists.  The comment about selling myself short at BC stems from the fact that I have a tough time not translating my qualifications as a computer engineering or economics graduate applicant to that of a law school applicant.  In the case of either of my majors, I have been accepted to graduate programs I feel are more what I was looking for.  BC is not in the same ranking area as those schools.

But, all this info is only if you actually care.  If you just want to harass me for getting down on BC, go right ahead :)

Hahaha, I can't help but laugh at this! Congrats on the high GPA at a state school. Seriously, good for you.
It is sad for low scorers that law schools focus on LSAT scores, but they do. If you really want a fair shot at a "better' school, you HAVE to retake a reapply.  162 is not quite in the same ranking area as a 167+.
Maybe you should try the alternative fields.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005, 01:33:57 PM »
Hrm, I could try the alternative fields, but I'm not really interested in that.  As far as BC, I won't complain too much b/c of the scholarship, and I am happy that they chose to look at the other aspects of my application instead of just writing me off due to my admittedly low LSAT.  Don't mistake me for being ungrateful, because I realize they could have given me no money.  The key point of the argument was that it wasn't a gift, I view it as a reward for what I earned.

However, I don't know why you made the comment about a high GPA at a state school.  State schools have nothing near the grade inflation of privates, and I'm positive that getting a high GPA in Computer Engineering or Math at a large state public is significantly harder than getting a 3.3 in some easy LAS major at a private.  State schools don't care if you get bad grades.  None of that 'look out for your own' stuff :(
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

karita624

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2005, 02:10:34 PM »
I was being serious-- I said, and I quote, "congratulations on the high GPA from a state school. Seriously, good for you."  Maybe the "seriously" part at the end made you think I was joking  ;). I also had a hard major (chemistry) at a grade-uninflated university. But your LSAT is low.
DeltKyle, most students at 20-30 schools have had a taste of the closeness of the top 20 schools through WLs and defferments (defferals?).  I, personally, was WLed at 7. Boards like this make it hard to deal with the fact that it is so close, but still far. However complaining about your need-based scholarship to a school that you consider to be sub-par to people that did not get one is not really the best way to deal with the frustration. If the name on your diploma is that important to you, then (for the 2nd time), reapply!
To me, by complaining, all you are doing is minimizing my accomplishments, your accomplishments, and those of everyone else who has choosen to attend BC. And honestly, I laugh because I am excited for BC.  The atmosphere is great, Boston is fun, and the people are so laid back, especailly compared to rival schools.  And I feel sorry that you aren't excited. And I can't help but hope that the slightly-bitter--Midwestern-frat-boy-named-Kyle isn't in my section.  <Sorry if that was mean, I really am not mean, but I don't like bad attitudes at all.>
Cheers.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2005, 02:20:25 PM »
Haha, apparently I'm a marked man.  A bitter midwestern frat boy marked man ;)

If your sensitive enough to get offended by my second thoughts about the school you have chosen, you better hope we're not in the same section.  I'm usually MUCH more offense and combative in person than when I can proofread my posts :)
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern