Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: kentucky or san francisco  (Read 457 times)

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
kentucky or san francisco
« on: April 21, 2005, 02:39:06 PM »
Unless I get FT at san diego I am going to have to decide between UK and USF. I want to work in california and I know both are regional schools but the rankings are holding me back from picking USF. Kentucky is 56 this year, was 50 last year. USF is tier 3 this year, was 96 last year. Kentucky will cost me about 20k while USF is in the 40k range. Kentucky also has 100% employment rate while USF is about 90%. I know that if I do well my first year at Kentucky I will be able to transfer to a UC or my original choice USD but if I don't I might be stuck in the midwestern abyss for quite a while. So where should I go next fall  ???

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: kentucky or san francisco
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 02:51:53 PM »
If you want to work in Cali I think USF is really your only option. No question. Because both schools are regional, I don't think the rankings will make much difference with respect to employment. Shame it's more expensive, but I think you've still gotto go to USF. good luck!

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 03:01:01 PM »
Unless I get FT at san diego I am going to have to decide between UK and USF. I want to work in california and I know both are regional schools but the rankings are holding me back from picking USF. Kentucky is 56 this year, was 50 last year. USF is tier 3 this year, was 96 last year. Kentucky will cost me about 20k while USF is in the 40k range. Kentucky also has 100% employment rate while USF is about 90%. I know that if I do well my first year at Kentucky I will be able to transfer to a UC or my original choice USD but if I don't I might be stuck in the midwestern abyss for quite a while. So where should I go next fall  ???
If you want to work in CA, go to a CA school. The only reason NOT to is if you got into a Top 14 school. If you did, however, it would make sense to go to a Top 14 school in CA. There is no tangible difference between a school ranked #50 and one ranked #101-150.
As for transfer options--join the club. There are 30 million persons in CA, and competition for transfer spots is insanely tough at good CA schools (easier to get into Berkeley outright than to try to transfer even to UC Davis after One L.) Unless you are in the top 5% at UK, you stand virtually no chance of transfering. If you are, you have a slight chance. Hardly worth the risk.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 03:16:24 PM »
I also vote for USF.
I think it will be easier to get a job because this is where all the alum work.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

bobo21

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 04:13:49 PM »
I have to choose btw a scholarship at Ohio State and Loyola, so I think we have parallel dilemas.  The consensus seems to be take the private lower ranked Cali school if you want to practice here. Aside from the networking while you are in school, and being able to extern/clerk in the state, it will prepare you specifically for the Cali Bar which is tough.  Also, I don't think you can ever expect to or depend on transferring, you might be stuck in Kentucky if you aren't careful.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 04:23:56 PM »
you might be stuck in Kentucky if you aren't careful.

Southern belles and white trash, I don't know if I could handle that for the rest of my life. I wish I had applied to loyola now, I think that might be an easier choice since they've had some high profile attorneys from there.

JackieOMarty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 04:47:25 PM »
Well, I was surprised to see this thread. Mainly b/c I am from Kentucky and transplanted to the Bay Area 2 yrs ago. Sure UK is cheaper but you DO NOT want to get stuck in Lexington, KY. Its not all southern belles but there's a bit of white trash and if you are used to the bay area and that's what you're wanting to stick with...then maybe you should just go ahead and stick with it. Or take your chances with UK. If I had to choose between the 2 I would rather go with ANY school in CA then move back to KY. But that's just me.