Law School Discussion

if i reapply next year...

if i reapply next year...
« on: May 28, 2004, 10:37:49 PM »
will the schools that i turned down look badly on me?

i'm afraid to take the chance, but I want to reapply at my first choice next year. if i *still* dont get in, i will take the hint and go somewhere else. but i was a little less than cooperative with some of the schools who accepted me this year.. as in never responded to their acceptance letter, period. did i really screw myself over for next year? :-\

thechoson

Re: if i reapply next year...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 10:38:49 PM »
It's doubtful they'll even remember you, if you were totally detached from the whole process

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 11:21:41 AM »
wouldn't they have a box to check on the app asking if you have applied to that school before? if not that, a database or something?

ahh... excellent point.  excellent point.

But I still don't think it would hurt you any. It also depends on how you treated the situation. If you withdrew in a classy manner, I guess it would be okay. Otherwise, the adcoms have you by the balls

Gummo

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 11:33:54 AM »
I've heard of a person that deposited at schools and then withdrew very late in the summer in order to reapply to their first choice schools the following year.  They were waitlisted when they reapplied to the schools they deposited at the previous year.

TheChoson is right- It doesn't sound like you've screwed around with them like the aforementioned individual, so while they will have your application and info on file, they would have no reason to look on your app unfavorably this time around...I'm sure it's a fairly common predicament. :)

thechoson

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 12:39:26 PM »
I hope you are right. I guess I didn't "screw around with them", but at the same time, I didn't respond to their acceptance letters or any of their followups. Unfortunately, that doesn't speak too favorably about my desire to go to their schools..

While we are on the topic - has anyone heard of people who reapplied to their first choice (with the same numbers) and got in?

Yes, I knew a girl that went to UC Hastings 2 years ago, after getting canned the 1st time.  She RETOOK her LSATs, however, and did quite better.  Also, she applied a lot sooner

Gummo

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 01:17:27 PM »
I dont think I'm willing to put myself through the stress of re-taking the LSAT. Besides, all my practice tests were pretty close to the score that i got.

Is there any point in reapplying with the same score?

If your score was a typically acceptable score for the school, you could reapply and maybe write your PS about really wanting to go to that school, so much that you took a year off and reapplied, after first building up your application.  The chance to build up your app in a year is great- you can get a job and some real world experience (they love that) and do volunteer work. 

And if the deposit dates of the schools you were accepted to haven't passed (I realize this late in the game they likely have), you can send letters stating that you are withdrawing, taking a year off, and plan to reapply.  Good luck!

Edmond

• 167/3.51
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 02:11:20 PM »
volleygirl:

Speaking from personal experience, they won't look down on you.  Just write them a letter explaining that you won't be matriculating because of personal and financial considerations.  This year I reapplied and was accepted everywhere that I was accepted last year.  Most schools retain application records for a couple years, so they WILL know that you're reapplying.

Consider also, that schools that rejected you this year will almost surely reject you next year, unless you do something incredible in the few months between applications.