Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Delaney book?????  (Read 461 times)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Delaney book?????
« on: April 21, 2005, 11:52:29 AM »
Some people a while back mentioned a book by Delaney and said it was helpful in preparing for 1L. I don't know the title of the book, but books by him on Amazon seem to be out of print, or only availale on marketplace. Can ppl come forwardand say what they think of this book and tell me the title, please? Thank you!

winslow757

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Delaney book?????
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:59:17 AM »
Delaney has several books--1. Learning Legal Reasoning, 2. Criminal Law, 3. Examsmanship

They can be purchased from his website - johndelaneypub.com

LLR gives a good introduction to legal reasoning as applied to reading cases and extracting issues. I have the other two but haven't read them yet.
Accepted: Brooklyn w/17.5K, Suffolk, NYLS w/ 20K
Pending: Northeastern, Cardozo, American
Rejected: GW, Fordham (no surprise there)

158+164/3.74

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 12:02:01 PM »
merci beaucoup!

littletanuki

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 12:04:35 PM »
Learning Legal Reasoning is great...I'm just about through it.  It's *extremely* helpful for understanding how to brief cases and extracting the key facts and issues from a case. 

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 12:07:02 PM »
I read Delaney's LLR. It was a great intro to the general domain of laws and courts and legal analysis for someone like myself with absolutely no prior knowledge.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 12:19:44 PM »
I have all three of Delaney's books. Learning Legal Reasoning is great. I didn't use his briefing method though. But he does a great job on issue statements and parsing the cases. Those came in handy for legal writing. Delaney did a better job teaching me how to do an issue statement than my legal writing professor.

His "How to do your best on Law School Exam" is a great book. I used it to cover the shortcomings of Leews. Leews is great. But in this book, Delaney introduces CIRI(P) which is great on policy and civ pro exams. Also in the first half book of the book, he gives some great advice regarding school and dealing with professors. He also has a thing called HATRI for practicing on old exams. I reread Delaney during the winter break and certain things he discussed--I had flashbacks to certain class sessions and I understood better what the professor said. Delaney is a former professor at NYU. I can't speak highly enough of the exam book.

He was a criminal law professor and his third book is called "Learning Criminal Law as Advocacy Argument." It's a good book and I used it along with my E&E in Criminal Law. My sister ordered one of his books on Amazon a couple of weeks ago. The site said that it would take 2 days. I'm surprised that they are already out. But yeah if you order from John Delaney's site, I think he combines shipping. Good luck.

"Some people a while back mentioned a book by Delaney and said it was helpful in preparing for 1L. I don't know the title of the book, but books by him on Amazon seem to be out of print, or only availale on marketplace. Can ppl come forwardand say what they think of this book and tell me the title, please? Thank you!