Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Staying at your undergrad for law school: Good idea?  (Read 2597 times)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Staying at your undergrad for law school: Good idea?
« on: April 21, 2005, 10:35:04 AM »
I'm right now trying to decide between staying at my undergrad (the higher ranked of two schools) or going to another institution for law school (which has the program I want).  I'll probably be posting another "Help me choose between school x and school Y" thread later, but right now, I want to know: do you think it's a good idea to stay at your undergrad for law school?  Personally, since law school is such a trying time in your life, is having that security blanket helpful?  Or will it just lead to trouble?  My feeling is knowing the campus, the way the administration works as a whole, the housing, the town/city/cow pastures around the school means you are that far ahead of the curve when you start your 1L, and don't have to expend the time and energy to learn that.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

And this all assumes you liked your undergraduate school enough to stay another three years.  If you hated it, then a lot of these advantages go out the window.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Staying at your undergrad for law school: Good idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 10:38:50 AM »
good idea especially if the LS in question is good LS.  I am of the opinion that applying to the LS where you got your undergrad degree gives you a slight advantage in the admission process. 

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 10:43:11 AM »
I'm contemplating the same decision.  I once heard that employers don't like to see that you went to the same grad school as undergrad...has anyone else ever heard this?  Can anyone verify if this holds merit?

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 10:46:45 AM »
I'm contemplating the same decision.  I once heard that employers don't like to see that you went to the same grad school as undergrad...has anyone else ever heard this?  Can anyone verify if this holds merit?

I know at least five people in this situation and they're now working for firms like Skadden and Kirkland. 

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
  • I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 10:50:38 AM »
I think it doesn't matter where you go to law school--the decision should be based on which school is going to offer you the best opportunities when you graduate, including where you want to live.

That said, your undergrad is the same as mine, and it was a tough choice not to go back!

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 10:53:06 AM »
I have to disagree completely with michaelduke on this one.  I hire people for a living as a HR manager at GE and can say that seeing one school multiple times on a resume sticks out as a "I can't figure out what to do with my life so I'll just stick around" item.  Unless you're talking about a top-notch school, it will be more of a liability than a plus.
You are not your job.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 10:57:59 AM »
I have to disagree completely with michaelduke on this one. I hire people for a living as a HR manager at GE and can say that seeing one school multiple times on a resume sticks out as a "I can't figure out what to do with my life so I'll just stick around" item. Unless you're talking about a top-notch school, it will be more of a liability than a plus.

I guess that's the confirmation I was looking for!

trayd79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 11:02:55 AM »
good idea especially if the LS in question is good LS.  I am of the opinion that applying to the LS where you got your undergrad degree gives you a slight advantage in the admission process. 

I disagree, at least in my state, CT, going to Uconn as in undergrad is a disadvantage when applying to law school.  This may have something to do with the fact that they are the only public university that makes a profit every year and the highest paid state employee is the men's basketball coach.   :)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 11:08:15 AM »
I have to disagree completely with michaelduke on this one.  I hire people for a living as a HR manager at GE and can say that seeing one school multiple times on a resume sticks out as a "I can't figure out what to do with my life so I'll just stick around" item.  Unless you're talking about a top-notch school, it will be more of a liability than a plus.
I would agree with that completely in the case of something getting a bachlors and a masters at the same school.  I've been told many times to not get my masters at my undergrad because I'll just learn the same stuff over again, only more in depth.  But law school is a different beast.  If someone's going to law school, there is less of the "hang around for a few more years" perception.  They sort of seem to know what they want to do.

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 11:15:03 AM »
Seriously?  Law is the #1 field for people who don't know what else to do...the perception is still there.
You are not your job.