Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's going to Boalt in the fall?  (Read 3505 times)

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who's going to Boalt in the fall?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 06:02:21 PM »
Jimmy, I hope you got the loan match you wanted!

I haven't yet.  The difference in cost between UVa and Boalt is so substantial that I am going to send in a deposit to UVa by their Apr 29th deadline.  Boalt said their matching program would be rolling, and decisions would start on April 12th.  Having heard nothing so far is a bad sign so I probably won't get the cash.  A shame really, I liked Boalt more.

Has anyone heard back about a match request?

El Capitan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 11:00:56 PM »

I called the admission office last week and they told me the initial matching scholarship offers had been made and they are waiting to hear if they will be accepted.   
Sounds pretty bleak for me.  Especially since I just got my material into them last week.  Im probably choosing Berkeley over UVa regardless of their decision, but it would make my life at lot easier to have anything to ease the load. 

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 07:52:57 AM »
Keeping my fingers crossed for you two. I think the whole matching thing was ambiguous. It should be done automatically, so that anyone admitted with a higher scholarship at the listed school would have the scholarship matched by Boalt, but to my understanding that's not how this works. I'm not 'in the know' because as an international student I'm not eligible to receive anything at all!

Keep us updated, ok?

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 09:27:35 AM »
I'm not 'in the know' because as an international student I'm not eligible to receive anything at all!

What?!?  Do you know why they wouldn't want to give international students aid?

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 10:18:41 AM »
International students can only get merit aid. We can't get Federal Aid or file the FAFSA or anything like that. I suppose that it's because it's public money, to which foreign people are not entitled. So the only thing we can get is merit aid. Boalt unfortunately doesn't have all that much money, and I don't think I have vey much merit! So nada it is!

miguel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005, 11:09:56 AM »
Lgirl - can you petition to get can in-state residency status as after your first year? That would at least be a nice chunk of $$.

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 01:06:30 PM »
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure, in fact, that I can't, because to be a resident you need to have citizenship or a prolonged right to stay in the state, which on a student Visa I won't have. I'm not worried about my ability to stay in California afterwards (this is indeed my intention) but I don't think I'll be eligible for in-state tuition. After my Finals I'll go to the US Embassy in London and find out for sure. It's a real nuisance, actually!

Have you decided whether to matriculate this year?

miguel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 03:52:01 PM »
I haven't decided for sure. I'm taking a long trip to Japan this, leaving this weekend, and I hope get some perspective on where/what I want to be doing over there :)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 06:28:39 PM »
yay! I've always wanted to go to Japan! Have a fabulous time!

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 01:21:50 PM »

I called the admission office last week and they told me the initial matching scholarship offers had been made and they are waiting to hear if they will be accepted.   
Sounds pretty bleak for me.  Especially since I just got my material into them last week.  Im probably choosing Berkeley over UVa regardless of their decision, but it would make my life at lot easier to have anything to ease the load. 

Did you (or anyone) hear anything?  Anyone decide on housing for next year?  Are you guys looking mostly at places that are within walking distance?  What is the parking situation out there?  Do law students have to park in some garage or lot far from Boalt?