Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's going to Boalt in the fall?  (Read 3343 times)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Who's going to Boalt in the fall?
« on: April 21, 2005, 09:33:10 AM »
I put this up in the students' board, but I thought we could start our own thread and talk about housing and getting ready for the move to California... or anything else, for that matter.
I am so excited about attending, even if it is for next fall.

So who's coming to Berkeley?

Perrin79

• View Profile
Re: Who's going to Boalt in the fall?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:16:06 AM »
I'll be there! I've lived on the east coast my whole life, so I'm excited about the move.  It seems like a fun & challenging place to go to school, so I'm looking forward to it!

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 02:39:51 PM »
do you knw yet where you will be living? I'm thinking about the Ida Jackson building. Also, when are you planning on arriving?

yay!

Perrin79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 04:09:06 PM »
I am thinking of living in the Mansville Apt. building, but I'm still going to keep scouring craigslist to see if I can find anything affordable near campus or in Oakland (though I'd prefer to be within walking distance of main campus).

I hope to arrive sometime in late July.. how about you?

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 04:35:30 PM »
do you knw yet where you will be living? I'm thinking about the Ida Jackson building. Also, when are you planning on arriving?

yay!

What is the Ida Jackson building?  How are you guys looking for places?  I've been checking craigslist on and off, but that's about it.

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 05:08:15 PM »
I think that's the building's name, anyway! I don't have my admit folder with me to check, but I'm pretty sure. It's university housing that gives priority to law students.
I'm surprised so few people seem to be looking at university accommodation. Is there any reason for this? Is it more expensive?
I'm pretty set on living on campus.. at least in my first year.
Jimmy, I hope you got the loan match you wanted!

Perrin79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 05:15:26 PM »
I e-mailed a current student about living in the Mansville Apt. building, and she replied that she lived there her first year and hated it (although she admitted that many others she knew who lived there did like it).  She claimed it was small & too expensive for the price.  She then proceeded to complain about having to see all of the 'homeless' that are present in downtown berkeley, and how that turned her off as well.  seemed a little ridiculous, so i don't know how to judge her comment.

Perrin79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 05:16:19 PM »
mostly just looking at craigslist.  I have a few buddies out in the bay area, so i'm also asking them to sniff around for me. 

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 05:23:23 PM »
I guess it's hard to tell without seeing it. That's partly why I'm coming in September, to see accommodation.
I don't think homeless people would bother me! I come from London, and that is the norm! It's nice to feel you're in a real city, with real people and real problems. It gives a sense of perspective, and hopefully humility. I don't think I need to be isolated from that. But that's just me.

JS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 03:00:00 AM »
Hey gang....

I am Berkeley-bound as well, so glad someone started this thread. I have what I hope is not a foolish plan to come at the end of July and look for an apt.  On-campus housing isn't really an option for me because my fiance will be joining me at some undetermined time mid-year, so neither the single or family housing would really work.  I've been to SF but never visited Berkeley so I've also been scouring craigslist for some idea of the market... don't really know what else I can do until I'm actually there.