Law School Discussion

Who's going to Boalt in the fall?

Re: Who's going to Boalt in the fall?
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2005, 04:36:58 PM »
Glad that we might hear about the scholarships sometime soon.  If you don't decide by May 16th for some reason you get a little administrative spanking and aren't able to register
for classes early, cant use school facilities until sept, etc.  It would be nice to avoid that. 

Interesting that Abrams quit!  Any idea of why?  Its strange to hear that in light of the
fact every other word out of his mouth was about how great life at Boalt is (of course, what else could you expect).

jimmyp

• 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2005, 08:45:57 AM »
Glad that we might hear about the scholarships sometime soon.  If you don't decide by May 16th for some reason you get a little administrative spanking and aren't able to register
for classes early, cant use school facilities until sept, etc.  It would be nice to avoid that. 

Interesting that Abrams quit!  Any idea of why?  Its strange to hear that in light of the
fact every other word out of his mouth was about how great life at Boalt is (of course, what else could you expect).

I don't know why he quit.  It just says it on his voicemail box.

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2005, 04:33:52 PM »
Got my matching scholarship response today.  No cheese.  Oh well...

I'm still feeling Boalt over UVa.  I've said it before: You all are more my kinda people. 
Think I'll spend my weekend mulling it over (as if I haven't decided) and send Boalt the
"allright you called my bluff" confirmation letter on Monday.  I'm ready to be done with
this thing already.

Time to commence the drinking beer!  Three day weekend!!

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2005, 05:16:28 PM »
Questions for those who know Berkeley...

I'm making arrangements now to fly out to Berkeley in late July for an apartment hunt.  Is a week enough time to find a place?  And how is parking in Berkeley? Should I rent a car or would it be easier to walk/use public transportation? Finally, are there any hotels that are in good areas and not too pricey?

Thanks for any insights anyone might have!

You might get by with a week, but I would try to come earlier.  Of course, this is a double-edged sword, seeing as the earlier you get there, the more choice you have, but the earlier you get there the more time you have to pay for a hotel (or crash with friends or whatever).  The University has a landlord list, and you can check it out... Also, if you know someone who is already a student there (in any capacity), they might know someone who is graduating, and you could take over their lease.  This is how most deals get done, I have found...

Parking is horrible. Don't bring a car unless you either (a) have a parking space where you live or (b) don't mind $25 parking tickets.  (The city has a money-making scheme set up where all the residential parking is 2 hours max, but the street sweeping times are 3 hour blocks, so you basically have no where to go for that 1 hour difference, and you get stuck with a $25 ticket...)

If you're coming in from Oakland or SFO, either (a) pay for a shuttle to take you to your destination (if you have a lot of stuff), or (b) take the subway system BART from the Airport to Berkeley.  (BART is easier from SFO, where the Bart enters the airport directly, than from Oakland, where you have to take a shuttle to the Bart station.) 

The main problem with taking Bart to Berkeley on your first arrival: you'll have way more stuff than you want in order to comfortably walk from the Bart station to your (temporary) place of residence.  (It is VERY hilly, meaning you'll probably end up taking a cab.)

My suggestion: save yourself the trouble and take a shuttle to Berkeley.  So long as you're not interested in living outside of Berkeley, you won't need to rent a car.  (Besides, all city busses are free for UCB students, so get your student ID and Class Pass sticker ASAP...)

There are, like, 2 hotels in berkeley, so every hotel in Berkeley is pricey.  There is a town about 2-3 miles away called Emeryville that has bunches of hotels.  The catch: in that case, you'd basically need to rent a car in order to get into Berkeley and check out apartments.

Another option is to stay in a hotel in the town of Walnut Creek (about 10-15 miles away).  There are a decent number of them, and the Marriot is right next to the Bart station there, and you could "commute" in pretty easily for your daily apartment searching.  (The $5 roundtrip would be a lot less than a car rental. It only takes 30 minutes, too...)

I suggest WC because other places near a Bart station would either typically cost more to stay in (like San Francisco), or are not necessarily the safest places to be if you don't know your way around (most places in Oakland near a Bart Station). 

This Marriot is literally 2 blocks away from a VERY SAFE Bart station, and would be really convenient if you could get a good deal on the price.  Once you have your apartment, you could just hire someone to take you and your stuff to Berkeley (i.e one time shuttle or cab), and you're set...  (Also, if you decide to stay at the Marriot, they may have a free or reduced price shuttle--or you could take Bart, it would be VERY easy to get there on foot from the WC Bart Station; ie. no cab needed...But I don't know anything about their services or rates really...)

If you find that the Marriot in WC is more expensive than you hoped, there are plenty of other places to stay in Walnut Creek.  Just make sure they are close to a Bart Station.  Any hotel near Pleasant Hill Bart or Walnut Creek Bart is just fine.  (Hotels near the Concord Bart may be sketchy, depending, so you may just want to stick with those near WC and PH.)

You will probably notice that there are stations in Orinda and Lafayette in between as well; these are also safe areas, though probably pricier--if they have any hotel chains at all... (They are sleepy, wealthy communities...)

Hope this helps!

jimmyp

• 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2005, 10:07:04 PM »
Got my matching scholarship response today.  No cheese.  Oh well...

Same here.  Did anyone out there get it?

I like how the letter says "you weren't picked because we only have _somewhat_ limited funds" and then says "I hope you know how much we want you to come to Boalt.  "Yeah, we had some money, more than a limited amount, we didn't give you any so we'd like you to come since you'd have to pay full price and support the kids that we did give money to".

JS

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2005, 11:35:19 AM »
Thanks very much anodduck, that's extremely helpful!

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2005, 11:46:35 AM »
Thanks very much anodduck, that's extremely helpful!

You are most welcome.  Also, I have noticed that lots of rental ads are going up on Craigslist...

The law school itself is on the South East corner of Campus.  (Piedmont and Bancroft, near the I(nterational)-House).

As such, South Side is more convienient, but it is also sketchier than North Side. (North Side is VERY pretty, and generally safer at night, but it also costs a lot more and would be at least 10-15 minutes walking due to the distance...)

For the most part, South Side above or below (i.e. East or West of) Telegraph isn't all THAT sketchy--it's the Telegraph area that gets really pretty bad at night...

Also, the Shattuck Area (where the Bart Station is--which, by the way, is about 15 minutes down hill from the law school, which makes it 15-20 minutes uphill) is REALLY sketchy. So I wouldn't advise living on/near Shattuck. Once you cross Hearst, however (which puts you on the North Side), you're quite ok...

pamm

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2005, 01:03:32 AM »
To add to anonddduck's comments: while Southside is definitely sketchier than Northside, it really isn't anything to be too concerned about safety-wise. I lived on Telegraph near campus for most of my undergrad years and I'm a fairly small girl and was never too scared about safety. I would say that you should just take basic safety precautions late at night, ie don't want to walk around by yourself. Southside is also definitely more of a typical undergrad scene than grad.

Some tips on apartments that I learned over the years: Other than going through friends, the best places to find listings are generally www.ehousing.com, craigslist, and for rent signs on buildings. You guys are lucky, since the rentals market has gotten a lot softer in the last year or so with the opening of new dorms and aparment buildings, so prices are lower and units are available right before classes start, unlike in the past. K&S (www.kands.com) is a great rental company to check with. Their buildings are generally really clean and secure, the units are kept looking fairly new, and they have a fair number of places that are generally competitive in price. Panoramic Management (www.panoramicmanagement.com) has a bunch of new buildings all over West Side. The units are really tiny and expensive, but you can reserve now for a lease starting in August, which a lot of places won't do, and my friends who live there have been able to negotiate lowering their rent by about $500 over the last year, so you might be able to haggle on rents. If you're looking for a studio or one bedroom that's close to campus and you don't have a car, check if the Sequoia Apartments at Haste and Telegraph has any availability: Alfredo at 510-548-1950 (or ask for him downstairs at Intermezzo). The building is run down, but the units are big and the management is really nice and responsive, if perhaps too laidback. Raj Properties (www.rajproperties.com) also has a lot of buildings around Berkeley, but I've never had any experience with them other than viewing units (generally small bedrooms). Also check www.castlerockrealty.com.

Something else from lots of personal experience: If you bring a car and are living in the area around Telegraph, I would also advise that you get a street parking permit rather than paying for garage parking in your building. It's counterintuitive, but the garage gives thieves enough privacy to break into your car without anyone noticing, while there's generally enough people around on the streets to deter theft there. Plus, if the car is registered at your Berkeley address, street parking is very cheap.

Finally, something that has to be passed onto the new incoming students, since most of those who were around when this happened have moved on: when looking for apartments, please do your best to avoid patronizing Everest Property (www.everestprop.com), which used to be known as Reddy Realty. Several years ago, a teenage girl died of carbon monxide poisoning in one of their units. After that, it came out that Reddy had brought her and several other girls over from India to be sex slaves. He also brought over many other Indian men, women, and girls to clean his apartment buildings and such, basically as indentured servants. While several family members have been sent to prison, the Reddy/Lakireddy family still owns a large portion of the apartment units in Berkeley as well as Pasand, an Indian restaurant on Shattuck.

Sorry for all of the rambling, but I hope this helps someone a little in the often frustrating Berkeley apartment hunt.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2005, 07:44:07 AM »
Finally, something that has to be passed onto the new incoming students, since most of those who were around when this happened have moved on: when looking for apartments, please do your best to avoid patronizing Everest Property (www.everestprop.com), which used to be known as Reddy Realty. Several years ago, a teenage girl died of carbon monxide poisoning in one of their units. After that, it came out that Reddy had brought her and several other girls over from India to be sex slaves. He also brought over many other Indian men, women, and girls to clean his apartment buildings and such, basically as indentured servants. While several family members have been sent to prison, the Reddy/Lakireddy family still owns a large portion of the apartment units in Berkeley as well as Pasand, an Indian restaurant on Shattuck.

This is so true. They also have some of the most run-down apartments in Berkeley, and so very little for maintenance and safety. My advice would be to avoid these guys as much as possible ... the apartments are just not worth what you'll be paying for them, and who wants sketchy management?

Lgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2005, 09:30:14 AM »
The stuff about Reddy is _awful_. I'm so glad you told us - I will keep clear of them and tell everyone I know to do the same. There aren't words to describe how terrible their actions are - with the girl and the slaves. Too tragic.