Law School Discussion

Who's going to Boalt in the fall?

Lgirl

• View Profile
Re: Who's going to Boalt in the fall?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2005, 10:46:32 AM »
What Caldx said has definitely put me off university housing (but thanks v much for the info!). Maybe international house because it is cheap and close. Or else a private let. I just don't know. As for parking, in our admit folder it says that there are two parking plans and several lots around campus. I can't remember exactly what it says, but I remember it seemed reasonable to me. Apparently they do get very full though.
Either way, I am definitely living on campus. I awnt everything near me in my first year.

JS

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 12:05:28 PM »
Hm, I am actually thinking to live a bit further out, maybe close to a BART station as I won't have a car. Logic was I could hopefully get a nicer place and if the weather's mild I wouldn't mind the walk.  Of course I have never been to Berkeley so maybe I am totally off-base in my ideas. Also maybe I am overestimating how pleasant it is to walk when carrying two tons of law school books. Anyone know if there would be any issues with safety walking around late at night?

caldx

• 169/3.88, Berkeley
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2005, 01:52:12 PM »
Hm, I am actually thinking to live a bit further out, maybe close to a BART station as I won't have a car. Logic was I could hopefully get a nicer place and if the weather's mild I wouldn't mind the walk.  Of course I have never been to Berkeley so maybe I am totally off-base in my ideas. Also maybe I am overestimating how pleasant it is to walk when carrying two tons of law school books. Anyone know if there would be any issues with safety walking around late at night?

LOL! Safety issues?

Hmmm
My roommates were held up at gunpoint at midnight the summer after my freshman year. It happened right in fron of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity house (which is in the news for shooting a pledge with a BB gun 30 times). One of them had his car broken into about a week later too.
My roommate sophomore year has been held up twice, but he whips out his switchblade and that scares people off. He's also had his car broken into a few times.
My ex-girlfriend's roommate was held up about two months ago.
My friend Bob was held up and got into a fist fight with a guy, resulting in his hand getting cut pretty badly.
Someone was held up in front of my apartment about 3 months ago.

Safety issues? Well, nothing compared to Oakland, but Berkeley is definitely urban and you need to be cognizant of that fact 24/7. The crime is usually mugging when it comes to students. You don't hear of random assaults, rapes, and murders happening to students. That usually happens to the homeless population.

That said, I've luckily never had any problems here, knock on wood.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2005, 02:03:28 PM »
Former berkeley undergrad here. Most of my friends at Boalt ended up living a little further away from campus and taking the bus to class. Bart can get expensive if you live very far away, and the fares are always going up. In case you hadn't noticed, Berkeley isn't too good with graduate housing; they kinda just let people find their own place. The Manville ones are new, I believe, but they're considerably far (maybe a mile or more) from the law school ... and that's a mile uphill. For those of you on a budget, I'd suggest checking out Evans Manor, on Haste St., or the co-ops on Haste (i forget the name). I lived in the former for my last two years, and you get to rent out a room in suite for really cheap.

Lemme know if there's any questions I can help you all out with ...

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2005, 09:11:28 PM »

Well, isn't that list of minor assaults nice to hear?  I'm actually surprised safety (at least as far as muggings) is that big an issue.  Still, as you said, its probably no worse than other urban environments.  I guess I had just imagined Berk. more as a college town.

As far as living close to school.  I biked to school as an undergrad and I would love to do this at law school.  Its fun, good exercise, fast, and generally I feel like it gives me more freedom than public transport.  Is Berkeley as bikeable a city as I imagine?

...no word yet on matching scholarships, but not holding my breath.

Lgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2005, 01:52:39 AM »
I don't know how bikeable Berkeley is but I do know that Boalt is on a hill (is it a hill? or a rise?). I won't be cycling up it in my old fashioned bike!
That safety stuff really freaks me out. I come from London, and it's nothing like that even here.
I just  heard about a new date-rape drug that makes women sterile. I'm really scared at the moment about safety issues. 

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2005, 07:41:30 AM »
I don't know how bikeable Berkeley is but I do know that Boalt is on a hill (is it a hill? or a rise?). I won't be cycling up it in my old fashioned bike!
That safety stuff really freaks me out. I come from London, and it's nothing like that even here.
I just  heard about a new date-rape drug that makes women sterile. I'm really scared at the moment about safety issues. 

I'm a bit nervous with all the talk about safety as well, but I think it's relative to what one is used to.  My UG school was in a sketchy suburb of Washington DC and in 3.5 years there, we had drive-bys, stabbings, rapes, shootings, and countless robberies and muggings (and a freak tornado that killed two students, but I suppose Berkeley will have earthquakes to fill the natural disaster category  :o).  It just became ingrained in us (especially females) that we had to take certain precautions. I think a little bit of common sense will go a long way -- i.e. not walking home alone through certain areas in the dark, locking your car while you're driving, not getting so drunk in public that you're vulnerable to criminal acts, not letting your drink out of your sight at a bar, etc.  It sucks that we have to be on our toes, but hey -- there are always tradeoffs.   :-\

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2005, 07:46:34 AM »
Safety: It's an urban area, so as long as you remember that, you'll be fine. I never had any issues with safety as an undergrad, but as a female this is kinda common sense. When I was at the library until late, I usually had someone walk me home, wait with me for the shuttle, called my BF to let him know that I was on my way, or rode my bike. The thing is, if you live pretty close to campus (i.e., two or so blocks), there are going to be people all around at all hours of the night. And certain areas are safer than others; the area around MLK, Jr. street, for example, is a no-no, but the area around the law school (frat row) and on the northside of campus (the engineering area) are much, much safer. Southside is probably in the middle: that's where the action is, since it's near Telegraph, so that's going to be both a plus and negative.

Biking: Depends on where you live. I lived exactly two blocks from the middle of campus, and most of the clases I had were in that area. Which meant very little uphill biking for me. However, the lawschool is the highest point of the campus; if you think of the campus as a rectangle, the longest sides being the north and south sides, the law school is the east-most side of the campus. The west-most side of campus is near Shattuck, the "downtown" area, and is the bottom of the hill. If you live near, say, the Ashby Bart station (which I did one year), you're going to have about a 15 minute grueling bike ride, all up-hill. And it's a big hill. If you live on the north side, however, or parallel to the law school campus, biking should be breeze.

jimmyp

• 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 02:59:09 PM »

I called the admission office last week and they told me the initial matching scholarship offers had been made and they are waiting to hear if they will be accepted.   
Sounds pretty bleak for me.  Especially since I just got my material into them last week.  Im probably choosing Berkeley over UVa regardless of their decision, but it would make my life at lot easier to have anything to ease the load. 

Did you hear from our man Eric today?  I didn't.

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 07:49:28 PM »

I think Mr. Abrams is too busy crying over the poor performance of the Kings in the playoffs to get around to the scholarships.   Definitely no word from anyone in the office.  Not even a quick email acknowledging that I submitted the thing.  Better silence than rejection i suppose.  I still really prefer Boalt to UVa (growing up in C-ville was great, but going home in my mid twenties might be a bad idea).  Maybe we'll see some action now that some deposit deadlines have passed?