Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come  (Read 14855 times)

texas1

Re: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2005, 10:53:27 AM »
How come there are so many more Baylor folks on this board than people from the other Texas law schools?

I think Tech has a pretty good showing as well... :P

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2005, 11:04:49 AM »
How come there are so many more Baylor folks on this board than people from the other Texas law schools?

I think you are correct about Tech.  Still, I rarely see/read anything about St. Mary's, South Texas or even UofH.  And I haven't really seen much posted about UT or SMU since the admission cycle. It just seems that Baylor (especially since it is a smaller school) is very well represented on this board.  I can only think of a handful of posters (limonjello, SketchyPhi, MP, etc.) who are going to UT. I'm not saying that this is a good or a bad thing.  Just an observation that there are alot of Bears on this board.
Attending: Texas

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2005, 11:09:43 AM »

I think you are correct about Tech.  Still, I rarely see/read anything about St. Mary's, South Texas or even UofH.  And I haven't really seen much posted about UT or SMU since the admission cycle. It just seems that Baylor (especially since it is a smaller school) is very well represented on this board.  I can only think of a handful of posters (limonjello, SketchyPhi, MP, etc.) who are going to UT. I'm not saying that this is a good or a bad thing.  Just an observation that there are alot of Bears on this board.

The internet has always had a special attraction for sado-masochists. Thus, a good showing of Bears. I would like to point out that I am the only Bear stupid enough to keep coming 'round once school has started. I guess I'm an exhibitionist. :D

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
  • The ever judicious Judge Baylor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ellie3113
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2005, 12:28:04 PM »
I must be going senile, because I could have sworn that I answered this earlier. It's amazing how few IQ points you can manage to hold on to as you make your way through law school.....

Anyhoo, I noticed that there was a reference to Blackboard on the assignments yesterday, but thought it was for Torts. Regardless, today the torts assignment has vanished altogether and  the property assignment is textbook and supplement (you buy this from the faculty secretary on the third floor during orientation). You know, last quarter there was actually one class that never made it to Blackboard. The amount that you use Blackboard will vary by professor. I've had one professor that used Blackboard to communicate everything, and Prof Contracts is allergic to technology. It's not anything worth getting hung up on.  ;)

OOoh, sorry if I missed it somewhere.  I think my IQ is falling out of my ears from brain atrophy at the moment.  I know I'll regret saying this in a week, but I'm so ready to start cause I'm so bored!  Guess I don't really have to worry about that for the next 3 years though!

I didn't realize we bought the property supplement.  For some reason I thought it was on blackboard.  Thanks for all the help Mom.

For those at El Chico's last night.  I was a loser and didn't make it.  It was pure laziness.  I was all curled up in bed reading like a homebody.  I'll see y'all Thursday though.
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things.

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2005, 05:19:48 PM »
Ellie-

You didn't miss it... it genuinely isn't here. So I'm the one short of IQ points, but I've earned my deficiency honestly. Once you start, you will understand why Baylor students say that boredom is underrated. Luxuriate in it... you won't feel it again for a long time.

A quick note about supplements: these are the most useful things you will get in your classes. The textbooks are general, where the supplements are specific to Texas. For some reason, people don't take advantage of the material in the supplements. Prof Property wrote this supplement, so the material in there is a direct line to what she considers important and worth knowing. There are many, many exercises in there that are usually not assigned, but very much worth the time. This is the general rule for all of the supplements, so take advantage of them!!! ESPECIALLY in property. Property laws vary so much from state to state, and Texas is so incredibly different from the other states, thanks to our history, that the rules you need for the exam are in the supplement. The textbook is really only good at pointing out the broad strokes and the basic rules you will need for the Bar and the multi-state. It becomes even LESS useful in Property II.

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2005, 11:18:17 PM »
And where do we get those supplements? There was a 2L at El Chico, who mentioned that we would have the opportunity to buy them at orientation. Is that right? Is that what everyone does?

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2005, 01:07:02 AM »
And where do we get those supplements? There was a 2L at El Chico, who mentioned that we would have the opportunity to buy them at orientation. Is that right? Is that what everyone does?
Gavin,
   I thought I had met everyone at El Chico's but I dont recall meeting you.  Which one were you?  I was in the Blue t-shirt and khaki shorts.

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2005, 08:16:12 AM »

Supplements are assigned with the courses. This quarter, the only supplement you will get is for Property, but you'll find that you get these in many classes. You can buy these from the faculty secretary on the third floor when you guys go for orientation. BRING YOUR CHECKBOOK. They will not accept cash or credit cards. I got reminded of this yesterday. At the end of the quarter, hold on to that supplement. You will still need a portion of it for the second half.

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2005, 11:30:09 AM »
Well that's kinda stupid. The only checks I have are for my bank account back in Austin, which is now empty.

Jeff, I was sitting two seats to your right. We spoke briefly. I was kinda in and out of the whole event. My wife and kids were sitting a few tables away, and I didn't want to neglect them, so I floated back and forth.

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2005, 11:32:43 AM »
It is stupid, but that's how it is. You'll have to pony over the cash to a buddy who has a checkbook. Like I did.  ;D