Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come  (Read 14896 times)

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
  • The ever judicious Judge Baylor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ellie3113
    • View Profile
Re: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2005, 05:06:34 PM »
You can get your excess funds faster if you do direct deposit.  The forms on the cashier's office website.  Then you don't have to deal with anyone on the phone.  Just fax it to them. 

I thought the assignments weren't up yet.  Are they up on the website and I'm missing them somewhere?  I keep checking cause I want to get a head start.
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things.

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

CT

• Enter Baylor law fall '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2005, 05:14:09 PM »

Well, I'm finally here. Anyone else move this weekend? Man, it's amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years. I'm looking forward to a little break from unpacking tonight. So...are we all wearing our Baylor law shirts or not? I don't want to be the only dork.

If your Baylor law t-shirt is a size that fits then I say go for it.  Mine isn't close to fitting so I'm not going to risk it  8)

Ellie, Last I saw the assignments are only up for Property and Contracts.  Go to the Baylor law website, click on Current Students, then First Day Class Assignments. 
"Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool.  Got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, hope I don't get in a fight.  Oh, back to school, back to school"

texas1

« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2005, 05:30:42 PM »
Let me give you a head's up about the books:

You will get a long list of books you need for LARC, but this list is for all three quarters. For the first quarter, the only book you will need is the red "Legal Writing and Analysis". I may have just mangled that title, but it's the red paperback. You will need the rest for your second quarter, and you will NEVER need the "interactive workbook" because it is available in interactive form for free on Lexis Nexis (you'll get a password second quarter).

You will be tempted to buy every single study aid out there, and nothing I can say or do will keep you from doing it. Been there, done that. Just know that you will NEVER spend that much money on study aids again. And don't even bother getting study aids for Contracts. Prof. Contracts is very specific about how he wants things done, and a study aid will confuse you. What's more, he has purposefully chosen a textbook for which there are no study aids, i.e. canned briefs and outlines. In that class specifically, just pay attention in class and do your briefs his way. You will be sorry if you don't. He has been know to ask to see your diagrams. He is very big on diagrams. He has a different diagram for each and every section of the syllabus.

And lastly, a person plug for myself: I have a ton of study aids and textbooks for Contracts, Property, and Civ Pro. Send me a message if you still need anything. :)

just pm'd ya!!!

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things.

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2005, 05:47:07 PM »
Is anyone bringing family tonight? My wife and kids are as beat as I am from this move, and I might like to bring them along...but not if this is a "students only" thing.

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2005, 05:59:26 PM »
Financial Aid:
The balance will be in your bank account by 5/17 if you have direct deposit. If not, then you have to go to the cashier's office to get your balance, but you can get it on the spot. If the full amount of your financial aid has not reached the school yet, but has been approved, you can get an emergency advance for books and living. Like undergrad, you will get half of the balance now and the other half in about 5 weeks.

Blackboard:
Nothing will show up on Blackboard until classes begin.

T-shirts:
Wear them to restaurants. Service becomes magically better. This also works at the bank, the doctor's office, hotels, and anywhere you want to silently bully others to do things your way.  ;D

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2005, 06:27:52 PM »
Hmmm... Well, if we can't get on blackboard doing all the property homework is gonna be hard.  Any thoughts Mom?

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2005, 11:21:16 PM »
I must be going senile, because I could have sworn that I answered this earlier. It's amazing how few IQ points you can manage to hold on to as you make your way through law school.....

Anyhoo, I noticed that there was a reference to Blackboard on the assignments yesterday, but thought it was for Torts. Regardless, today the torts assignment has vanished altogether and  the property assignment is textbook and supplement (you buy this from the faculty secretary on the third floor during orientation). You know, last quarter there was actually one class that never made it to Blackboard. The amount that you use Blackboard will vary by professor. I've had one professor that used Blackboard to communicate everything, and Prof Contracts is allergic to technology. It's not anything worth getting hung up on.  ;)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2005, 09:22:48 AM »
How come there are so many more Baylor folks on this board than people from the other Texas law schools?
Attending: Texas