Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come  (Read 14547 times)

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2005, 07:47:36 AM »
That's strange. I wonder how you got away with spending less than I did...and most of mine were used. Maybe I bought some of the "recommended" books, without realizing it. Here's what I bought:

TEXAS BUSINESS AND COMMERCE CODES (2004)

CONTRACT & RELATED OBLIGATION (CASEBOOK)

REST CONTR 2D SE #1

REST CONTR 2D SE #2

REST CONTR 2D SE #3

LEGAL RESEARCH FOR THE TEXAS PRACTITIONER

WINNING ON APPEAL (P)

WRITING & ANALYSIS IN LAW (REV) (P)

TEXAS RULES OF FORM

TEXAS LAW REVIEW MANUAL ON USAGE, STYLE & EDITING

BLUEBOOK: UNIFORM SYSTEM OF CITATION

PROPERTY (CASEBOOK)

ESTATES IN LAND & FUTURE INTERESTS

BLACK'S LAW DICTIONARY

FEDERAL RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE (2005-06 EDUC ED) (P)

PLEADING & PROCEDURE (CASEBOOK)

BLACK'S LAW DICTIONARY: POCKET ED (P)

I looked up each class on the Baylor bookstore site, and compiled a list to take with me to the actual bookstore. I just bought everything on my list. Does that look like the same books that you bought CT? I'm just curious.

JulesRedden

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »
Who else is already here in Waco?  I just arrived and am trying to learn my way around.  If anyone wants to hang out or explore the city, feel free to send me a message.

I'm here! Just got here yesterday. My husband is working, so I am busy getting lost on my own. Email me (julesredden@yahoo.com), and maybe we can grab some coffee or something in the next few days. Anyone else here, let us know.

CT

• Enter Baylor law fall '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2005, 05:44:22 PM »
For the most part we have the same books, but there are a few differences.  I didn't buy "Estates in Land and Future Interests" nor did I buy the Pocket Edition of Black's Law Dictionary because neither are listed as required books on the Baylor Bookstore website.  Both are listed under recommended books.  But I did some checking and found out that the other bookstore, the University Bookstore across the street from campus, lists "Estates in Land and Future Interests" as a required book on their website.  

I noticed another difference between the two bookstores.  For our Contracts course, the Baylor bookstore website lists REST CONTR 2D SE #1, #2, and #3.  Are those 3 different books?  Because at the University bookstore there is only one book with a similar title and it's called "Restatement of Contracts 2D."  

"Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool.  Got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, hope I don't get in a fight.  Oh, back to school, back to school"

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
  • The ever judicious Judge Baylor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ellie3113
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2005, 01:11:44 AM »
I just got my final invoice in my email from the baylor bookstore and they were backordered on 4 books.  It's $701 now plus about $75 more in the backordered books.  In undergrad I always tried to run around trying to find out which book was cheapest where but always ended up spending the same or like $5 less than if I just went w/ the bookstore so I didn't even try this time.  I guess I'll have to check UBS for the books I couldn't get at Baylor.  It was the 3 contracts and Winning on Appeal.
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things.

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2005, 08:17:51 AM »

I noticed another difference between the two bookstores.  For our Contracts course, the Baylor bookstore website lists REST CONTR 2D SE #1, #2, and #3.  Are those 3 different books?  Because at the University bookstore there is only one book with a similar title and it's called "Restatement of Contracts 2D."   

Yeah, those are three books. If you look closely at the book from the Baylor bookstore, I think you'll notice that it is one of three. At the UBS bookstore they had them bundled together, but at the Baylor bookstore they were just sort of strewn about, individually.

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2005, 01:41:15 PM »
Man...I am so tired. Having a new baby to keep you up at night is exhausting. I am not ready for the "boot camp" to begin. Is everyone going to the El Chico thing on Monday? I look forward to making some empathetic connections.

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
  • The ever judicious Judge Baylor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ellie3113
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2005, 07:51:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm starting to get super nervous about this whole boot camp thing.  I'm going to try to go to the El Chico thing.  Is it at 7:00?  For some reason my computer isn't letting me into the forum on the Baylor law website anymore.  Is anyone else having that problem?
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things.

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

CT

• Enter Baylor law fall '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2005, 08:32:29 PM »
Yep, we'll all be meeting at El Chico at 7pm.  I can't get into the forum on the Baylor law website anymore either.  I wonder why we can't get into it anymore  ???
"Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool.  Got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, hope I don't get in a fight.  Oh, back to school, back to school"

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2005, 08:34:15 AM »
I can get on the forums fine, but I have never been able to post to them (at least from my computer at work).

Anyone see this:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050809/ap_on_re_us/law_school_third_year_1

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2005, 09:58:35 AM »
So...nobody shoot me here, I feel like this board is my safe place (I'm among friends right?)...I'm all gung ho about Baylor and everything (I actually just put Baylor Law decals on both of my cars)...but has anyone given any thought to the possibility of transferring after the first year. I know it's unthinkable, and I'm not saying that I am really considering it...from time to time I just really wish I had been accepted at a top ten (I was deferred, and then rejected by a couple). Anyone else feel similarly? The truth is that with a wife and two kids, I probably couldn't afford to go anywhere else, but I wonder if it's at all a possibility. Anyone thought about it?