Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come  (Read 14212 times)

c00lbeans

• Sr. Citizen
  • I come from the crazy world of Architecture
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2005, 10:12:56 AM »
do we know which books to buy yet? I thought certain professors prefer textbooks from particular author or publisher?
Baylor Fall 2005

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2005, 10:33:39 AM »
Well they gave us the tentative schedule, and with that you can look the books up on the Baylor bookstore's web site.

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2005, 11:37:24 AM »
Let me give you a head's up about the books:

You will get a long list of books you need for LARC, but this list is for all three quarters. For the first quarter, the only book you will need is the red "Legal Writing and Analysis". I may have just mangled that title, but it's the red paperback. You will need the rest for your second quarter, and you will NEVER need the "interactive workbook" because it is available in interactive form for free on Lexis Nexis (you'll get a password second quarter).

You will be tempted to buy every single study aid out there, and nothing I can say or do will keep you from doing it. Been there, done that. Just know that you will NEVER spend that much money on study aids again. And don't even bother getting study aids for Contracts. Prof. Contracts is very specific about how he wants things done, and a study aid will confuse you. What's more, he has purposefully chosen a textbook for which there are no study aids, i.e. canned briefs and outlines. In that class specifically, just pay attention in class and do your briefs his way. You will be sorry if you don't. He has been know to ask to see your diagrams. He is very big on diagrams. He has a different diagram for each and every section of the syllabus.

And lastly, a person plug for myself: I have a ton of study aids and textbooks for Contracts, Property, and Civ Pro. Send me a message if you still need anything. :)

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2005, 05:38:03 PM »
Let me give you a head's up about the books:

You will get a long list of books you need for LARC, but this list is for all three quarters. For the first quarter, the only book you will need is the red "Legal Writing and Analysis". I may have just mangled that title, but it's the red paperback. You will need the rest for your second quarter, and you will NEVER need the "interactive workbook" because it is available in interactive form for free on Lexis Nexis (you'll get a password second quarter).

You will be tempted to buy every single study aid out there, and nothing I can say or do will keep you from doing it. Been there, done that. Just know that you will NEVER spend that much money on study aids again. And don't even bother getting study aids for Contracts. Prof. Contracts is very specific about how he wants things done, and a study aid will confuse you. What's more, he has purposefully chosen a textbook for which there are no study aids, i.e. canned briefs and outlines. In that class specifically, just pay attention in class and do your briefs his way. You will be sorry if you don't. He has been know to ask to see your diagrams. He is very big on diagrams. He has a different diagram for each and every section of the syllabus.

And lastly, a person plug for myself: I have a ton of study aids and textbooks for Contracts, Property, and Civ Pro. Send me a message if you still need anything. :)
thanks for the info.

CT

• Enter Baylor law fall '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »
Who else is already here in Waco?  I just arrived and am trying to learn my way around.  If anyone wants to hang out or explore the city, feel free to send me a message.
"Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool.  Got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, hope I don't get in a fight.  Oh, back to school, back to school"

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2005, 08:28:41 AM »
I'm there on and off. We have our apartment, but aren't actually living in it yet. I bought my books yesterday. $760...and that was getting most of them used. The Baylor bookstore on campus only has one of our books used, and they say that they don't plan on getting any more. However, the UBS bookstore across the street has most of them used (though they are going fast).

howarddavis

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2005, 10:26:53 AM »
$$760!!!!??? argh, i cannot do until i get loan money. man that sucks hardcore... i move in on the 17th, sorry my wife lives here in austin so i am staying as long as possible, plus im going on a cruise monday (parting gift to say goodbye to my real life). LAST DAY OF WORK IS FRIDAY!! WEE HOO!!
"one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer"
now that is a study break
http://howied.ebloggy.com

howarddavis

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2005, 02:37:15 PM »
anyone using the my.baylor.edu site? i sign in and it shows "you are not currently enrolled in any courses"... but i am... just annoying. i also keep checking for first day assignments and nothing is on there. i am out of the country next week and need to know what the heck is going on.
"one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer"
now that is a study break
http://howied.ebloggy.com

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2005, 12:35:26 PM »
Nothing will show up on the Blackboard site until classes start or just before. You will find your registration info on Bearweb and your first day assignments on the regular Baylor law website under "admitted students."

CT

• Enter Baylor law fall '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2005, 05:53:29 PM »
I just finished at the bookstore...and spent near $750 just on required books.  I got used books when I could, but most were only available new.  With books being so expensive, I don't think I'll spend any additional money on study aids.     
"Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool.  Got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, hope I don't get in a fight.  Oh, back to school, back to school"