Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come  (Read 14533 times)

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2005, 10:40:22 AM »
Has anyone been doing any serious thinking about career options, after law school? I'm curious to know what everyone else wants to do. I tend to plan waaay too far ahead, so I've already looked into just about every possible career option for a lawyer (or at least the ones that interest me). Is everyone going to be looking for a big law job? Anyone plan on trying to get on with the federal government (in a legal or non-legal capacity)? Any prospective JAGs? I'm curious.

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2005, 05:21:22 PM »
Just a quick heads-up if you haven't bought a computer.

One thing you might want to consider is that the software that the law school uses for exams does NOT run on Mac OS, so you will either have to rent one of the 8 available laptops (they go fast, and aren't very reliable) or you will have to hand write your exams. Just another factor for your consideration. The professors "say" that they don't care about handwriting, but one of my classmates didn't even get half of his exam graded because of all the cross-outs and arrows and such. With MY writing, I wouldn't take the chance. FWIW.

Whoops, never mind... didn't realize Ellie had already said as much. Sorry. Carry on.  ;D

howarddavis

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2005, 10:59:45 PM »
i talked with comp folk too, and the people who made the software. they say they may have the software mac compatible by beginning of year or compatible with virtualpc, but were not sure as of yet. im still gonna go with mac most likely, just not sure. as for after law school, im hoping to go crim law or civil law (i want to go small firm, but at least with civil i will HAVE to go big), but my life goal is judge. good thing they just got a raise :) as for JAG, my wife looked into them actually. as long as you are VERY flexible, then its not bad. pay back loans, no living expenses really. realize that you really are a sailor though and can get sent anywhere.
"one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer"
now that is a study break
http://howied.ebloggy.com

CT

• Enter Baylor law fall '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2005, 05:46:48 PM »
  I just purchased a new laptop a few weeks ago.  After comparing many options, I decided to go with a Dell.  I know several people who have gotten Dell notebooks and haven't had much trouble.  My only advice is to get an extended warranty.  My last computer was a compaq and after the first month I had non-stop problems.  If I hadn't had a long warranty it would have cost major bucks. 

I haven't given a whole lot of thought to my plans after school.  I'm more focused on the present and getting thru the next 3 years  :)
"Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool.  Got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, hope I don't get in a fight.  Oh, back to school, back to school"

kschroeder

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2005, 11:12:32 PM »

I haven't given a whole lot of thought to my plans after school.  I'm more focused on the present and getting thru the next 3 years  :)

I concur. Plus, any preconceived ideas I have about the type of law that I may want to practice may quickly be pushed out the window.  For example, all during law school, my dad was sure that he was going to go into environmental law as he was a petroleum engineer before he went to law school.  He then quickly realized that environmental law wasn't for him and that he found it to be one of the most boring areas of the law.  He is now happily a patent attorney.

CT

• Enter Baylor law fall '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2005, 01:19:30 PM »

I concur. Plus, any preconceived ideas I have about the type of law that I may want to practice may quickly be pushed out the window.  For example, all during law school, my dad was sure that he was going to go into environmental law as he was a petroleum engineer before he went to law school.  He then quickly realized that environmental law wasn't for him and that he found it to be one of the most boring areas of the law.  He is now happily a patent attorney.

I can relate.  I think I've already changed my mind about what type of law I'd like to pursue, and I haven't even begun law school yet.  But I think that taking classes will definitely allow people to decide what type of law they find most interesting. 

On a different subject, I've begun to pack all my things to make the big move to Waco.  I can't believe how much junk I've accumulated over the years.  I'm not sure that I'll be able to fit it all into a one bedroom apartment  :-\ 
"Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool.  Got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, hope I don't get in a fight.  Oh, back to school, back to school"

howarddavis

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2005, 03:03:03 PM »
anyone else having to get their vaccinations done? man this sucks... my doc doesnt have the records, this really really blows. ah well... i guess i get to be sick with the vaccination  :-[

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2005, 06:27:34 PM »
anyone else having to get their vaccinations done? man this sucks... my doc doesnt have the records, this really really blows. ah well... i guess i get to be sick with the vaccination  :-[
I had to go get a couple of them? So you havent turned the health form in yet?

howarddavis

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2005, 08:30:26 PM »
unfortunately no... it took my doc back home forever to get back to me and say they didnt have the info. but i get it all done monday and faxed in that day...

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2005, 09:46:23 AM »
Is the cost of books throwing a wrench in anyones else's law school budget? On the law school web site, they estimate books and fees for a year to be about $2500. With books costing me $700/quarter, and fees running about $600/quarter, I might end up having to find another loan before I'm finished.

Oh...and where is everyone getting their books? Half.com seems to be the cheapest way to go, but I'm afraid that if I order them now, they won't get to me before school starts.