Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come  (Read 14915 times)

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bears to Be... Waco Here We Come
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2005, 08:08:54 AM »
I live an hour and a half from Baylor, and I still haven't received my registration materials. I think I'll have to print them from the web site, if I'm going to get them back to Baylor before the 8th.

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2005, 09:10:33 AM »
Ok, I just printed all of my registration materials, and I don't know how they expect us to get this stuff back to them so quickly. I don't know when I'm going to have time to go get a passport photo. Anyway, I wanted to ask you all about the optional student services fee. Are you all going to pay that? I didn't realize that it was optional, and now I am wondering if I really need the student health center and the student life center. What do you guys think?

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2005, 06:09:39 PM »
I live in Austin (about an hour and a half away) and I just got my registration materials this afternoon.

howarddavis

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2005, 12:35:50 PM »
got mine yesterday, and this whold 8th thing is insane. moving it up 2 friggin weeks? what the heck? total bs. especially the passport photo. that means earliest it could be mailed is 5/5 or 5/6. i luckily live in austin so i might actually be able to get it done, but what about those elsewhere? so messed up, i hope the rest of the school is not like that. btw, got another msg from ut "you are good enough for a full ride at baylor, you can get into michigan and notre dame, but you are just gonna sit on our waiting list even though your wife worked for our dean"... sorry just had to get that out.  >:(
"one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer"
now that is a study break
http://howied.ebloggy.com

CT

• Enter Baylor law fall '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2005, 04:53:38 PM »
  I figured that I would get a passport photo in order to go somewhere exciting, like Rome or Paris.  But no, I need a passport photo to go to Waco, TX.  I didn't see that one coming  ::)
  I agree, this deadline is ridiculous.  I still haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. 
"Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool.  Got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, hope I don't get in a fight.  Oh, back to school, back to school"

JulesRedden

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2005, 05:52:14 PM »
Okay, I got my registration packet. I don't know about the rest of you, but the best news I've heard in a long time is our classes start at 9. (I do not appreciate the early hours of the day. 9 am is just perfect for me...)

For those of you who have received the reg. packet - did you notice the health form (not due till mid-July), has to be filled out by a Dr.? I am hunting trying to find my old immunization records. Who knows where they are??? This should be fun hunting them down. Are we required to have (or prove we had) all the immunizations listed?

Oh, did anyone notice under the "Optional" fees, (which by the way, is a parking sticker really 'optional'???) that there is some HSB advanced tech. lab fee? What is that for? Not sure if it applies to us?

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2005, 10:37:41 PM »
Okay, I got my registration packet. I don't know about the rest of you, but the best news I've heard in a long time is our classes start at 9. (I do not appreciate the early hours of the day. 9 am is just perfect for me...)

For those of you who have received the reg. packet - did you notice the health form (not due till mid-July), has to be filled out by a Dr.? I am hunting trying to find my old immunization records. Who knows where they are??? This should be fun hunting them down. Are we required to have (or prove we had) all the immunizations listed?

Oh, did anyone notice under the "Optional" fees, (which by the way, is a parking sticker really 'optional'???) that there is some HSB advanced tech. lab fee? What is that for? Not sure if it applies to us?
Yeah, that health form is nuts. I have been frantically trying to come up with those records for the past few days, and the best I can do is a list of immunizations I had, when I was a baby. Unfortunately that list is not signed by any doctors, it's just something my mom wrote when I was kid. I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'll just go to a doctor, and tell him to give me whatever I need. I did get a bunch of immunizations when I went to live in Brazil several years ago, but I can't find those records either.

And yeah, I noticed that HSB advanced tech lab fee too. I assume that it's optional. I'm still wondering whether or not I should pay the student services fee.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2005, 12:09:12 AM »
got mine yesterday, and this whold 8th thing is insane. moving it up 2 friggin weeks? what the heck? total bs. especially the passport photo. that means earliest it could be mailed is 5/5 or 5/6. i luckily live in austin so i might actually be able to get it done, but what about those elsewhere? so messed up, i hope the rest of the school is not like that. btw, got another msg from ut "you are good enough for a full ride at baylor, you can get into michigan and notre dame, but you are just gonna sit on our waiting list even though your wife worked for our dean"... sorry just had to get that out.  >:(

No offense- but you sound like a very bitter person

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2005, 12:11:40 PM »
RELAX, EVERYBODY!!!

Good grief... so much drama.

The passport photo: any digipic taken against a wall will do. Some people sent candid photos they cut down, one girl even sent a wallet from some Glamour Shots photo shoot. The chief purpose of the photo is so the staff can recognize you and so they can put you into the facebook so your classmates can recognize you.

The "optional fees": I paid for this the first quarter, dumped it after that. The gym is nice, but any local gym is cheaper. You'll get free access to games, but the time you will actually have to GO to games will make it cheaper to pay for tickets as the opportunity arises. The health clinic isn't worth the space in the building... unless it's your only option. I took the money for the fee and bought a good treadmill off of E-Bay, since I always seem to find the time run somewhere around midnight.

Parking: Yep, it really is optional. If you want to use the actual law school parking lot, you have to pay. However, there is a back lot that is free, and you can also park for free in St. Peter's (that's the parking garage with the steeples... crazy Baptists) across the street. The fact that most law students run around with three bags apiece suggests you might want to splurge for the parking sticker.

Health form: THAT really was a pain in the butt. In the end, I wound up having to get vaccinated all over again. Just get it over with. Some of my classmates have told me that they don't actually verify the records, though, so I suppose you can just scribble in a date and let that be that, if you choose.

Advanced lab fee: I really don't have a clue what this is, and as far as I can see I have unlimited access to any and all technology. You'll automatically be charged the mandatory tech fee, and that will get you everything you need: wireless internet, wireless printing, computer lab, Westlaw, Lexis Nexis, etc.

Deadline: rough estimate. If you're a few days late, it's really not a big thing.

Weekend commuting: A TON of students here do this. I live an hour away, so I feel like I'm right on the border of what constitutes practical daily commuting. One of my classmates does a daily commute from Dallas every day, another is a weekend commuter from Houston, and yet another is a quarter commuter from Oklahoma and only goes home on long weekends. I have to admit that there are times when I consider moving to Waco for the week. The cost of renting there is getting to be less than the amount I spend on gas every month, and I could be so much more efficient with my time if I didn't spend 15 hours a week in the car (I do carpool with two other girls, though... phew!). There are definitely advantages however way you choose to do it.

I hope this helps. It's really easy to freak out in the beginning, but just relax. Trust me... you have yet to encounter the things which justify a freak-out! Relax and enjoy the prospect of law school. The reality will set in soon enough.  ;)

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2005, 10:35:05 PM »
Health:  Men will NOT want to get a new MMR vaccination unless you absolutely have to.  There are tests for all the required vaccinations (except tetanus, I think) to verify you are immune if you don't have your old records (assuming Baylor has the same requirements as UT).