Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad Day, looking for support.  (Read 1619 times)

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Bad Day, looking for support.
« on: April 21, 2005, 04:54:11 AM »
Applied for loans for PSU-Dickinson and was denied.  I have decided to go to Toledo, it is only half the price and I don't want to get a co-signer.  I really had my heart set on PSU, I was even planning on staying in the area for many years if possible.  I don't really like Ohio, but returning to Michigan would be OK.  I have heard Toledo is a great school, I will visit in a couple weeks.  I think I am mostly disappointed in the location rather than the school.  My cousin, a Toledo grad, was very happy there and is excited that I am going.  He has only good things to say about his former school (1990 grad).  Well, there is no real point in this post, but comments are welcome.

violet5

• View Profile
Re: Bad Day, looking for support.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 06:13:05 AM »
 ;)
There's a decent chance that I will end up at Toledo with you and my ultimate goal is to go to Florida or California. While I know that it will be more difficult to find a job in those areas vs. Ohio or Michigan, I'm not too concerned about it. I'm determined to make it happen and it will. Just keep your head up.
2.93/159

ATTENDING: PITT!
Accepted: Toledo, Cleveland Marshall (4K/yr.-withdrawn), Seton Hall, Rutgers-Newark, Buffalo, Pitt, U Pacific
Rejected: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Temple, St.Johns
Waitlisted: Chicago-Kent, DePaul, Loyola Chicago, IU-Indy, Catholic, Case (all withdrawn)

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 10:37:07 AM »
i know loans suck but you'd be getting loans either way.  i think it would be a lot better for your peace of mind that you were paying back loans to go somewhere you love and want to be rather then your second choice.  i would forget about the money, get extra loans, kick ass at PSU and pay it back when you graduate.

my $.02
FIU Class of 2009

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 10:49:02 AM »
wait. I don't understand? How come you were denied loans? From a private lender or from the school or what?? one of my two schools is PSU so I am jus tcurious because I haven't looked passed getting teh stafford loans they gave me.
I love my philly phanatic :)

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 12:01:32 PM »
I have somewhat poor credit, I made several mistakes when I was young and have been in repair mode for the last few years.  Unfortunately I over extended myself when I was working full time making over 30K a year, also past 5 year relationship didn't help.  Three years ago I quit work and went back to school, so it was tough fixing my credit and I am just now starting to see my credit score rebound.  The loan I was denied was a private loan, I applied to Access Group and T.H.E., both denied me.  I was going to get a co-signer, but feel wrong about having my parents sign for 22K each year, 66K in all.  At Toldeo I will get in state tuition, 12K per year, and the 18.5K from the goverment will cover me.  I may still need 3-4K a year to live on, but this will not be a problem.  Don't get me wrong, I think Toledo is an awesome school, my cousin couldn't say enough about it.  The only reason I am disappointed is because I have focused on PSU for about a year now, Toledo is the smart choice for me, I will have much less debt and both schools are great institutions, so my education will be good either way.

Biolaw- If you are worried, you can apply on line in minutes.  Just apply for the amount that is allowed by the schools budget, and if it goes up or changes, you can adjust the amount later this summer.

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 12:06:24 PM »
well i'm so sorry hotel. I know that you were totally rooting for PSU all throughout this process. I always try to tell myself that things happen for a reason, so I am sure you'll be really happy at Toledo in the end. Plus I mean if I had an optoin of having less loans then I woudl probalby chooose that. I already hav ea ton from my masters.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 12:12:39 PM »
Yeah, I was getting worried in March after I really started thinking about loans and stuff.  That's why I quikly sent off the last two apps, thank God I got into one of them.  I'm starting to get excited again and not feel bad about missing out.  After all, just going is an opportunity, and I really think life is what you make of it, I could be happy almost anyplace, except a giant city like NYC, maybe even there though.  Toledo is going to be great, I can still shoot up to Detroit on the weekends and catch a show with my friends. 

BTW, Biolaw - have you decided between the cuse and PSU?

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 12:37:14 PM »
Hotel- well I am visitng syracuse next week during their last admitted students day so I will make up my mind then. Which way i'm leaning totally depends on which day you're tlaking to me :)

Kilgore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 03:16:40 PM »
I really had my heart set on PSU, I was even planning on staying in the area for many years if possible.  I don't really like Ohio, but returning to Michigan would be OK. 

I'm having trouble understanding how someone can like PA and MI so much but really have it in for northern OH.  You'll probably like Toledo just fine; as far as I'm concerned, Toldeo is part of MI anyway.  Good luck.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 03:30:55 PM »
That really is too bad. I guess that we all need to be careful assuming that private loans are going to be automatic b/c we are going to law school. One of my college roomates is actually a 1L @ PSU-Dickinson right now; he had trouble with private loans too, wasn't sure if he could even attend until a couple of weeks before school started.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.