Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hawaii's Rejection Letter  (Read 2384 times)

NothingSpecial

Re: Hawaii's Rejection Letter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 05:30:30 AM »
I didn't apply to Hawaii, but I was just thinking about taking a vacation there, so I guess that's why I read this thread...

Can you just say what the letter said.  This is annoying and useless otherwise.

Missliad,

Thanks for input- was that the exact wording of your letter?  Mine was different.  I'm off to bed (2:00 a.m. here, and scheduled to play tennis with someone who always kicks my *** at 8:30), but I'll give you my thoughts on what U. Hawaii really wants tomorrow...

Nighty Nite...

Geez

missliad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 08:00:37 PM »
Missliad,

Thanks for input- was that the exact wording of your letter?  Mine was different.  I'm off to bed (2:00 a.m. here, and scheduled to play tennis with someone who always kicks my *** at 8:30), but I'll give you my thoughts on what U. Hawaii really wants tomorrow...

Nighty Nite...

Geez

so what did your letter say?? ???

I went home and read my letter:

"If you will not enter law school this fall, I encourage you to apply again next year.  It may be helpful to schedule an appointment with me in June or July to review your application"..

I didnt think too much of it.

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 11:48:34 PM »
Sorry for the delay (I was away from LSD for a couple of days).  Yes, that's what my letter reads- w/the 'schedule the appointment' part (instead of just 'contact').  I received a lot of rejections and none had any wording about trying again next year with an 'appointment' (and hand signed, to boot).  Quiz: what's another word for 'appointment'?

Now, you can read it anyway you like.  I've never believed that law schools just want to suck another $50 out of you, lead you on, increase their numbers and etc... I think that a lot of out-of-state U. Hawaii applicants just want to get their J.D. in paradise, then find a well-paying job on the mainland (without ever giving back to HI).

The way I read the letter is- if you're serious about our school and contributing to our state as a life-long HI or Asia-based attorney, then we'll take a closer look at you next year- with an 'appointment'...

I'm serious about being a life-long attorney in HI!

I looked at it as a 'carpet-bagger' filter, of sorts..

Or- maybe I'm just swimming in the Nile!

Geezer

locaste

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 02:25:43 AM »
Sorry for the delay (I was away from LSD for a couple of days).  Yes, that's what my letter reads- w/the 'schedule the appointment' part (instead of just 'contact').  I received a lot of rejections and none had any wording about trying again next year with an 'appointment' (and hand signed, to boot).  Quiz: what's another word for 'appointment'?

Now, you can read it anyway you like.  I've never believed that law schools just want to suck another $50 out of you, lead you on, increase their numbers and etc... I think that a lot of out-of-state U. Hawaii applicants just want to get their J.D. in paradise, then find a well-paying job on the mainland (without ever giving back to HI).

The way I read the letter is- if you're serious about our school and contributing to our state as a life-long HI or Asia-based attorney, then we'll take a closer look at you next year- with an 'appointment'...

I'm serious about being a life-long attorney in HI!

I looked at it as a 'carpet-bagger' filter, of sorts..

Or- maybe I'm just swimming in the Nile!

Geezer

Sorry, but I doubt any school uses rejection as a method to determine how much you actually want to go to the school.  It's just an unusually polite and friendly rejection letter, nothing more.
I give up.  I just can't be bothered to update the lists anymore. =p

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 02:50:11 AM »
I believe pretty much all my rejection letters are handsigned.  The Assistant Dean only needs to sign it after someone else had typed it up. Considering that we weren't even waitlisted, and since a few of us have gotten the same letter, I'm not going to read too much into it. I do think that if this is the school you want to go to, you might want a try a different approach than last year (say if you weren't proactive this year, try doing that next year).

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 08:34:12 AM »
Locaste- of course they don't reject you just to see!  I was rejected because my recent LSAT scores are terrible. However, I believe (I could be wrong) that U. Hawaii serves their residents/Pacific applicants first, high-number/out-of-state applicants second and throw bones to the other applicants that are seriously interested in staying and contributing to HI in the long term.  Having an appointment on round two looks like an 'upgraded' chance to me.  They certainly didn't offer it when I first applied.

Wolfie- as always, thanks for the input!

Be optimistic and keep an open mind...that's all,

Geez

P.S. Locaste- I dig your Domokun avatar!