Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago v. NYC v. VA  (Read 715 times)

crash42

• View Profile
Chicago v. NYC v. VA
« on: April 20, 2005, 10:46:23 PM »
Ok here it is:
I know very little about law firm placement and the importance of prestige.
Options:
NU w/ $$$
UVA w/ $$$
NYU
Chicago
for Chicago or DC placement after graduation.
Is there a huge difference between NU/UVA and Chicago/NYU?  Will it matter in the long run for firm jobs?  I would love to do a clerkship, but will not choose a school based on that fact.
ANY help would be appreciated.
Thanks

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago v. NYC v. VA
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 04:40:11 AM »
chicago's clearly the best for clerkships. for chicago or dc placement: NYU/Chicago let you do both. Chicago might be a little better. UVa is strong in DC. NU is pretty strong in chicago. You can get a chicago job from Uva and a DC job from NU. conventional wisdom holds that if you go to chicago or nyu, you wont have to do as well in law school to get elite firm jobs as you would at NU and UVa. Elite elite firms such as wachtell are out of reach for NU/UVa grads, but they are also out of reach for 95-97% of nyu/chicago grads.

also, you should email nyu and chicago and tell them that you really want to go to their school, but nu and uva are offering you X dollars each. They might offer you some money.
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 09:33:54 AM »
In Chicago: Not sure CHICAGO is any better than NU.
In DC:  Not sure CHICAGO is any better than NU.
In NYC: CHICAGO slight edge over NU at the high elite firms (although your class rank will determine this). NYU will beats any of your choices in NYC.
Attending: Northwestern School of Law

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 10:12:42 AM »
There are no class rankings at Chicago.  From what I've been told, w/ a Chicago degree you'll place great anywhere, especially Chicago or DC--even if you're in the middle of your class.  There's only a 190/class anyway.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 11:21:46 AM »
In DC: Not sure CHICAGO is any better than NU.
In NYC: CHICAGO slight edge over NU at the high elite firms (although your class rank will determine this). NYU will beats any of your choices in NYC.

actually, for nyc, chicago might be better than NYU, all things being equal.  a relatively small number of chicago grads choose to go to nyc so the competition among chicago grads for nyc jobs is realtively tame.  on the other hand, the vast majority of nyu grads elect to stay in nyc, so the competition for jobs among nyu grads is generally stiffer.

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 12:01:42 PM »
NU doesn't release rankings either—OCI is lottery-based so firms can't pick who to interview based on rank or grades.

Very true and it is a small class size. I think in the Northeast NU and CHICAGO both place very well and the competition within the class seems to be less of a concern than at NYU in the markets in which the students compete.

ormachea

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 02:52:07 PM »
In DC: Not sure CHICAGO is any better than NU.

actually, for nyc, chicago might be better than NYU, all things being equal.  a relatively small number of chicago grads choose to go to nyc so the competition among chicago grads for nyc jobs is realtively tame.  on the other hand, the vast majority of nyu grads elect to stay in nyc, so the competition for jobs among nyu grads is generally stiffer.

Vino's right as usual.

I'd go with Chicago, especially if you got about the same amount of scholarship money. With the difference in COL between NYC and Chicago you'd end up paying like $45k more over 3 years just in room and board. And many prefer the smaller school atmosphere of UC.

I have heard, however, that Chicago is more like the pocket-protector central of t10 law schools--whether that's bad or good depends on you.

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 04:00:57 PM »
What does this mean?

I have heard, however, that Chicago is more like the pocket-protector central of t10 law schools--whether that's bad or good depends on you.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 08:26:14 PM »
Vino's right as usual.

gee thanks.   ;)  but i wouldn't go that far....

I'd go with Chicago, especially if you got about the same amount of scholarship money. With the difference in COL between NYC and Chicago you'd end up paying like $45k more over 3 years just in room and board. And many prefer the smaller school atmosphere of UC.

after visiting chicago and hanging out with a fair number of current students, one of the biggest impressions i left admit weekend with was that old reputation die hard.  i found that most of the negative stereotypes associated with chicago are mostly outdated.  i don't think chicago is nearly as cut-throat, intense or nerdy as conventional wisdom says it is.  there are plenty of nerdy types at all the top law schools.  however, because chicago is such a small school, the "pocket protector" brigade probably doesn't get lost in the crowd as readily as at other schools.  i will say that chicago had a more scholarly and less pre-professional ethos than the other schools i visited.  that, however, doesn't mean people don't socialize and have fun.

ormachea

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »
Granted it may have much to do with old reputations dying hard.

If you compare Chicago to say NYU, though, you'd find Chicago to be much stuffier and still nerdier--it's all relative. The reputations are almost self-fulfilling; I think the more competitive and arguably less outgoing gravitate towards Chicago partially because of the reputation. Wherever you go, however, you'll find the people you want to hang out with.