Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NU - Lets talk about it.  (Read 2059 times)

nusuagdo

• View Profile
Re: NU - Lets talk about it.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 02:45:39 PM »
Yeah they just tried to offer me a scholarship for the next 2 years to try to keep me since they can't offer me anything this year.  I was fairly surprised by it, my numbers aren't like fabu or anything.

From what I've heard, NU doesn't focus all its money on the very very best candidates. I don't know the whole strategy- i dont look a gift horse in the mouth!
Amen! Don't know what possesed them to give me free money but I wont deny them ;D
Attending: Northwestern
Accepted: UPenn, Georgetown, UMiami
Wait Listed: Columbia, NYU
Rejected: Notre Dame, Harvard

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 03:48:29 PM »
Sending the deposit tomorrow!
Attending: Northwestern School of Law

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2005, 12:12:06 PM »
Question: Are people doing any informal prep on their own this summer? If so, can anyone recommend good books to read about LS or about certain 1L classes (torts, property, etc..)?

nusuagdo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 02:02:26 PM »
I'm not planning doing any formal course, but I have read Law School Confidential twice and am planning  to read PLS2. I'm also going to pick up some general law-related books that were on the recommended reading list for UPenn. I'm gonna need some for beach reading this summer.
Attending: Northwestern
Accepted: UPenn, Georgetown, UMiami
Wait Listed: Columbia, NYU
Rejected: Notre Dame, Harvard

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 12:26:59 PM »
Question: Are people doing any informal prep on their own this summer? If so, can anyone recommend good books to read about LS or about certain 1L classes (torts, property, etc..)?

I read Law School Confidential, up to the part about finals and that's pretty much it.

I'm reading Getting to Maybe because it was recommended by a few students on Admitted Students day. Otherwise, I'm going to sit back read histories all summer, go to the beach and just relax.

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 12:27:39 PM »

I read Law School Confidential, up to the part about finals and that's pretty much it.

I'm reading Getting to Maybe because it was recommended by a few students on Admitted Students day. Otherwise, I'm going to sit back read histories all summer, go to the beach, and just relax.

Rancho Carne High

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2005, 04:39:05 PM »
What are you planning on doing for housing?  From the looks of the chicago reader, there are better deals to be had on apartments than what student-space showed.  Any suggestions for finding a place?

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005, 04:48:26 PM »
I'm using the Chicago Tribune apartment rental finder.

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 06:53:13 PM »
There are a lot of great places to live in Chicago!  For our first year, my husband and I have basically decided to live in a high rise close to campus.  i figure that if there were any year when it will be important for me to be close to school, the first year will definitely be it.  Plus we have a dog and that is making apartment hunting even more interesting!  But we're using student-space, craigslist and the chicago reader mainly.  Plus my own findings on various websites.

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2005, 09:48:14 AM »
well, my wife (soon-to-be) and I are going to live in one of those nifty new high rises nearby....BUT....

While at Admitted Students Day, I sat down with the Dean and I asked him that very same question (how close to school should you live). His response was that given the electronic age and, consequently, the availability of virtually all legal material online, a 1L might spend less time around the campus studying than he/she might expect. He felt living farther away from the school would be fine.

My feeling is stay around campus as a 1L and find this out for yourself. Maybe your never on campus outside of class. Maybe you find that you need the library to study. Maybe your study partners all live within a block of the law school.

HTH