Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA scholarship info  (Read 2884 times)

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
UCLA scholarship info
« on: April 20, 2005, 08:54:48 PM »
I talked to the UCLA admissions office on Monday while I was on campus, and was told that as of right now, they are not matching scholarship offers from other schools or otherwise making adjustments. As the (non) deposit deadlines pass, they will reallocate any scholarship $ left in their budget.

I thought I would throw this out here because I had heard conflicting information on the subject; current 1L's mentioned scholarship matching last wear.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UCLA scholarship info
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 05:50:18 PM »
I talked to the UCLA admissions office on Monday while I was on campus, and was told that as of right now, they are not matching scholarship offers from other schools or otherwise making adjustments. As the (non) deposit deadlines pass, they will reallocate any scholarship $ left in their budget.

I thought I would throw this out here because I had heard conflicting information on the subject; current 1L's mentioned scholarship matching last wear.

Who did you talk to at the school and which school's scholarship were you trying to get them to match?

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 08:08:10 PM »
I spoke to them on Monday as well (phone call) and got the same information, they are not giving out any more merit $$ until they get responses from the first round of offerees.  If after the May 1 deadline some people decline scholarship money, they may consider it for others, but she said it was not certain, by which I assume they could decide to just sit on the money until next year?

I got an email titled "Scholarship Offer" from UCLA last Friday and was pretty stoked (I was hoping since I got substantial $$ from Emory and USD they would give me something) but it turned out to just be an offer for a guaranteed unit for 3 years in the UCLA-owned grad student apartments... which I still have to pay for.  So, not really a scholarship, but more of a rent subsidy.  I guess it's better than nothing, but it makes Emory's offer much more attractive since I could live at home and pay $0 rent!

tencigars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 11:24:03 PM »
I spoke to them on Monday as well (phone call) and got the same information, they are not giving out any more merit $$ until they get responses from the first round of offerees.  If after the May 1 deadline some people decline scholarship money, they may consider it for others, but she said it was not certain, by which I assume they could decide to just sit on the money until next year?

I got an email titled "Scholarship Offer" from UCLA last Friday and was pretty stoked (I was hoping since I got substantial $$ from Emory and USD they would give me something) but it turned out to just be an offer for a guaranteed unit for 3 years in the UCLA-owned grad student apartments... which I still have to pay for.  So, not really a scholarship, but more of a rent subsidy.  I guess it's better than nothing, but it makes Emory's offer much more attractive since I could live at home and pay $0 rent!

I called today to see if I could get them to sweeten the pot.  I've been offered quite a bit already but got offered still more from UT and Vanderbilt.  It was a no go.  They told me basically the same thing--that they have actually awarded more money than they have in their coffers and are waiting for May 1 to see who doesn't take them up on their offers.

But don't discount the value of that guaranteed apartment.  Over 300 students have requested a unit so far and the law shool only has claim to 56.  No wonder the UCLA representative listed it in the same breath as $ when she called to tell me I'd been awarded the merit scholarship.

By the way, I'm going to UCLA unless Columbia pulls me from their waitlist.  In fact, despite my negotiation for more money, I would probably have chosen UCLA over my other acceptances with no assistance beyond loans.

I'm looking forward to going to law school at UCLA.  There aren't many schools that evoke similar enthusiasm.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 12:21:58 AM »

Who did you talk to at the school and which school's scholarship were you trying to get them to match?

I forget her name, but one of the women in the Admissions office. I was trying to match NYU and UVa.

I am pretty set on UVa now, but more $ from UCLA would certainly make my decision much more difficult.
Attending UVa

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 01:44:14 AM »
I got the same story from them...I received grant money but no merit money and I was trying to see if they would offer some in light of a full ride at IU, but no dice.  They said something about still many kids not being offered any aid, etc.  Oh well, I'm still really excited to go!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 02:50:41 AM »
Well, I will be throwing $15k merit + 1 free year of housing back in the pot next week. HTH
Attending UVa

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 06:23:44 PM »
erff ur picking uVA over NYU??  ???
Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 03:44:21 AM »
Yeah. I <3 UVa, and it's like $50k cheaper, which helps.
Attending UVa

Swearengen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 06:57:37 PM »
15k merit/year or 5k/year?

If you say the former, then I am calling tomorrow morning to have them re-evaluate my aid.

50k cheaper for UVa after the in-state? Wow! how much aid did they give you?

Well, I will be throwing $15k merit + 1 free year of housing back in the pot next week. HTH