Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DING! Thanks for the Application Fee  (Read 633 times)

ESDAD

• View Profile
DING! Thanks for the Application Fee
« on: April 20, 2005, 04:05:53 PM »
Wanted to see what all your thoughts (critical and supportive) are on the following situation.  Two years ago, I applied to W and L and was waitlisted, but never taken off the waitlist.  I had visited once prior to the waitlist for an interview, and once after (all out of my own pocket, of course) to ensure they understood my intentions were with W and L.  I didn't get in, and that was fine.

Two years later, I applied two and a half months earlier in the process, with a better LSAT, better GPA, more leadership callings and more work experience.  I really felt that I put myself in a position to be successful.  I went to Lexington a third time to interview, at which point the asst. director of admissions said (and I quote), "Your application is much stronger this time around, your PS really gives us a sense of who you are...worst-case scenario, if you are wait-listed, hang in there and let us know we are your number one choice."

Two months later, I got my ding letter.  Thoughts?  Ideas??  Rude Criticism???

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: DING! Thanks for the Application Fee
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 04:09:36 PM »
They're not worthy!  Find another school, apply, get in, and get on with your life.  Remember, resentment is a poison you drink yourself, hoping someone else will die (someone had that as a quote on LSD and I think it applies here).
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

ilsox7

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »
I met with her too (I am on the WL) and I got the impression that while they have some input on the decision that the majority of the decision lies with the admissions committee, which she is not a part of.

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 04:14:05 PM »
Thoughts.

1 - Applicant pool is up, so numbers have to be higher than two years ago. Sucks that you got caught in the cross-fire.

2 - The Admissions Director doesn't make the actual up/down decision. It usually goes to a committee of faculty, students, and/or deans. (S)he was probably telling you what (s)he thought was sound advice, but couldn't possibly predict how a committee would vote on your specific file.

3 - How did you get yourself a better GPA? Did you get another undergrad degree?

ESDAD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 04:20:16 PM »
My GPA improved because when I originally applied to the school, I was planning on completing my UG degree that summer with four courses.  When I did not get in, I waited until the Fall to finish up, and did very well.

While I know she is less than influential in the adcom's decision, doesn't it makes sense that she should measure her words more carefully?

And I assure you that I am not (any longer) bitter.  I was WL'd by a couple t14's and accepted to a couple other top 20's.  Thanks for the thoughts!