Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey Boston People--need advice on apartment hunting!!  (Read 3036 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Boston People--need advice on apartment hunting!!
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2005, 09:24:13 AM »
Yup, bus pass will get you on the T going inbound, but only if you get on above ground.  I have more than a few friends that do it.  I couldn't believe it at first myself!

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2005, 11:26:35 AM »
How is Jamica Plain??

Okay, I just found a website on Grand Central Apartments with user reviews.
People either loved it or hated it.  Grrr, what to do.   >:(

Mostly what I actually know about it is that a very large portion of the lesbians in the Boston area seem to live there.  But that may well not be the general feel of it to people who aren't involved in the queer community, I don't know. 

Just in case anyone actually needs this info and doesn't want to ask directly...

Probably about 50% of the student body at my college was homosexual or bisexual. JP,Mission Hill and Davis Square were where a number of the lesbians at my school resided. The ones that lived on the hill probably did so because it was so close to our school,not because the hill is more open minded thab than any other place. My friends that lived in JP and Davis said that there was an active queer community in those areas, and that's why they chose to move there.

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2005, 03:32:10 AM »
bump
Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2005, 10:39:42 AM »
Cambridge varies by area.  Harvard Square is bustling (typical shops: Urban Outfitters, Origins and, as you might imagine, lots of bookstores!)  There are great restaurants - most notably one of my very favorites, Pho Pasteur, as well as John Harvard's, more of a standard fare with beer kind of place.  Porter (the next stop north) has more of a family feel, but there are nice shops, restaurants and bars around.  I love Davis - actually in Somerville, around the Cambridge border (a great bar is the Burren), which is full of young PROFESSIONAL people (and grad students) as opposed to undergrads.  Central Square is noticeably funkier, which is evident in the shops and restaurants that surround it, and also to a certain extent in its denizens.  I didn't venture down that way very often, but there is a great place called the Middle East (restaurant/bar/ music venue) and other assorted great nightlife.
Thanks for the Cambridge tips. I've been looking at listings for the past few weeks and feel pretty overwhelmed about picking a place to live from across the country. I guess I'll have to fly out to see a few places, but that's stressful, too...The joys of moving! It seems like the prices I've seen for 1 bedrooms near T stops (Harvard Square, Central, etc.) are around $1500. Is that about right for the area? I'm not hoping to get a deal, but I also don't want to get totally screwed. Thanks to anyone who can answer this!
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2005, 02:01:10 PM »
That's not atypical.  Frightening, huh?
Attending: Fordham

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2005, 03:38:47 PM »
It's way frightening, but it's kind of what I figured. Thanks!
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

BAFF213

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2005, 11:40:24 PM »
If I go to Suffolk next year, I'll be living in Cambridge, about 5 minutes from Harvard Square (driving).  The price is $500 or $600 a month, depending on which room I pick.  Pretty sweet...

Cambridge varies by area.  Harvard Square is bustling (typical shops: Urban Outfitters, Origins and, as you might imagine, lots of bookstores!)  There are great restaurants - most notably one of my very favorites, Pho Pasteur, as well as John Harvard's, more of a standard fare with beer kind of place.  Porter (the next stop north) has more of a family feel, but there are nice shops, restaurants and bars around.  I love Davis - actually in Somerville, around the Cambridge border (a great bar is the Burren), which is full of young PROFESSIONAL people (and grad students) as opposed to undergrads.  Central Square is noticeably funkier, which is evident in the shops and restaurants that surround it, and also to a certain extent in its denizens.  I didn't venture down that way very often, but there is a great place called the Middle East (restaurant/bar/ music venue) and other assorted great nightlife.
Thanks for the Cambridge tips. I've been looking at listings for the past few weeks and feel pretty overwhelmed about picking a place to live from across the country. I guess I'll have to fly out to see a few places, but that's stressful, too...The joys of moving! It seems like the prices I've seen for 1 bedrooms near T stops (Harvard Square, Central, etc.) are around $1500. Is that about right for the area? I'm not hoping to get a deal, but I also don't want to get totally screwed. Thanks to anyone who can answer this!

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2005, 11:22:31 AM »
If I go to Suffolk next year, I'll be living in Cambridge, about 5 minutes from Harvard Square (driving).  The price is $500 or $600 a month, depending on which room I pick.  Pretty sweet...

That's a good deal for Cambridge. Are you living between Harvard Square and Lechmere? I lived in that area for a summer. There are some awesome places to eat. Make sure to get ice cream at Christina's!

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2005, 11:53:53 AM »
The price is $500 or $600 a month, depending on which room I pick.  Pretty sweet...

From your wording, it sounds like you are picking a room in a larger apartment? $500-600 a month is totally doable if you are willing to live with a roommate or three. If you want/need to live alone, you will not pay any less than $1000/mo for a stuido.

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2005, 07:09:26 AM »

...I need a BC Law 1L apartment-mate! Interested?  Let's get in contact!
Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past