Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey Boston People--need advice on apartment hunting!!  (Read 3057 times)

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Boston People--need advice on apartment hunting!!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2005, 04:18:15 PM »
How is Jamica Plain??

Okay, I just found a website on Grand Central Apartments with user reviews.
People either loved it or hated it.  Grrr, what to do.   >:(

JP feels like a fun, diverse (by Boston standards) area with interesting but not overly upscale shops and restaurants. 

Mostly what I actually know about it is that a very large portion of the lesbians in the Boston area seem to live there.  But that may well not be the general feel of it to people who aren't involved in the queer community, I don't know. 

And I found a spot in an apartment (not in JP alas; I didn't know about it at the time) over craigslist within about two weeks of when I started looking seriously, and I love the apartment; but I moved in with people I didn't know (the person who originally found the apartment also did so through craigslist).  It might be different than trying to find a one bedroom or studio, which sounds harder and a lot more expensive.

Slothrop

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 04:59:22 PM »
Hey All,

I live in the North End right now, and will be moving away from Boston, probably 8/1 for law school, another roommate is leaving, not sure the exact date, but sooner than that.  Anyway, if you're going to Suffolk, or NESL it's pretty convenient, 15-20 minute walk tops.  Rent is $815ish (it does have electric heat which was like $100/month this winter though).  Anybody interested, feel free to let me know.  Craigslist worked great for me!

As for what else, Boston apartment hunting SUCKS!!!!  I first moved here on a 8/1, basically took what I could get for the 1st year, then moved to a better place when I could really look better.  Realtors are truly evil!!!!!  1 month rent for 15 minutes, give me a break!!  JP, you'll most likely need a car, not too convenient to the T.  As a grad student, Allston can suck, too many undergrads, but hey if that's your thing...  Oh, and living on the B-Line is an absolute nightmare!  If you're looking out in the Allston/Brighton/Brookline area, stick to the D (best) or C (better).

Oh, and the company does sound like a rip-off.  One disadvantage you have is not living in the area.  It can take a lot of time to find the best/cheapest place, time I didn't have when I first moved, so like I said I took what I can get and suffered for a little while.

tbraughler

• AOL Instant Messenger - tbraughler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 07:50:37 AM »
Hey all,
I really appreciate all the advice, it's been very helpful in narrowing down neighboorhoods. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on Cambridge?  Is this area close to the T?
I also hear good things about the South End...South Boston...something like that.
Also, are their any places down the red line that are nice?  I've talked to a few people about that area and heard some good things.

Basically what I'm looking for is a 2 bedroom or a very large 1 bedroom and $1500 is about my limit.  I'd prefer a place without a lot of undergrads (cause I remember how obnoxious I was).

I'm totally ignorant to the area so all this advice has been great and I trust this board more than the realtors that keep calling me.   ;D

I just realized it's before 8am so please excuse it if I bump this post later.   ;)
2-accept. (NESL, Capital)
6(ouch! eh, I take it.)-rejections
1-waitlists
Attending: NESL

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 08:57:11 AM »
Anywhere in Cambridge is good, as the Red Line is pretty reliable.  Most people I know who's lived there likes it.

You should be able to find a nice 1 bedroom for your budget, maybe even a little lower.  My friend had a great 1 bedroom and paid about $1100 right on Comm Ave in Allston/Brighton.  Two bedroom will be pricier unless you get a roommate.

Hopefully others will reply that can give you more specific info about neighborhoods to live in off the Red Line.

South Boston can be ok, but areas of it are not.  It's really an area that you have to check out before moving to.  I've had friends who hated it and feared for their lives, and I have a few friends living there now that love it.  so it depends on where it's at in the neighborhood.

RRobs15

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 09:01:48 AM »
It was awful when I used them (grand central apartments) last summer--especially if you are from out of town. It was so bad I went through management and got my money back. Buyer beware!

Slothrop

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 09:24:15 AM »
Cambridge can be good, one problem is that the good areas, the ones closest to the T (I would say the Central Square, Harvard Square, and probably Davis Square areas are best) are pretty much the same as Boston prices, so don't be surprised if it's not cheaper.  The Red line is good and will get you to Park Street pretty quickly (I think faster than the green, but I've never used it). 

If you are looking to avoid undergrads, those areas would most likely be Fenway and the Commenwealth Ave area.  I used to live in Coolidge Corner (Brookline) and loved it.  A pretty young, but not undergrad area, lots of restaurants, but severely lacking in nightlife.  To get to Park Street or Boylston Street stops (Suffolk and NESL) it takes about 30-45 minutes by the green line.  The South End and South Boston are different neighborhoods.  South Boston is very much cut off from the rest of the city, I've heard good things and bad.  It seems like a lot of younger people are moving there, but there's still an element of Southie (remember Good Will Hunting).  The South End is great, a lot of cool areas, being the "gay" neighborhood can do that.  The good areas are just as pricy as Backbay though (Tom Brady will be your new neighbor!)  The further south you go, the worse the neighborhood gets, personally I wouldn't want to go south of Tremont St. or Shawmut at the worst.  Not to mention, the further south you go, the further you get from the subway.

A few words of wisdom if you do go through a realtor, do not sign anything with a realtor until you're ready to rent, and since you're moving off-peak (not September) and the market isn't as tight as it was a few years ago, you may be able to negotiate down the one-month realtors fee.  Whatever you do, try your best not to sound naive, make them think you know what you're talking about, don't believe their BS!

Good luck...

RRobs15

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 10:20:20 AM »
where are you going to school? that can make a big difference in where you decide to live. I am from the area and can give you advice if you'd like. Also, feel free to send me a personal message if you'd like to discuss further.

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 11:01:54 AM »
Finding something now for 6/1 is going to be very hard.  Just as a heads up.

And don't live in the Fens or Fenway.  Acutally, strike that.  Certain parts of Fenway are ok, my bf lives right near there now.  Unless it's right near Beacon St though, stay away.  The Fens are nice during the day, but if you live there, you're bound to be mugged or have your apartment robbed at some point.  The Fens is one of the few truly sketchy places in Boston.

I lived in the Fens for years and I was fine. The one time anyone tried anything with me was in freakin Harvard Sqaure in the daytime.
I think the "danger" of living in the MH area is way over blown.As long as you act alert and treat it like it's part of a city ,you should  be okay.

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 12:12:03 PM »
I lived for a while in Somerville (between Porter and Davis Squares) and it's my favorite, favorite area to live in Boston.  Great bars, restaurants, close to Harvard Square (I could walk when ambitious), the red line is so fast into town.  The Cambridge-Somerville area really is the place to be, as long as it's relatively convenient to your school.
Attending: Fordham

littletanuki

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 12:20:18 PM »
I think they're still there.

And that corner of Harvard and Comm Ave are still as sketchy as ever! (not dangerously sketchy, but dirty homeless sketchy!)

Is Mr. Butch still there? :D