Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey Boston People--need advice on apartment hunting!!  (Read 3101 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Boston People--need advice on apartment hunting!!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 02:51:54 PM »
Finding something now for 6/1 is going to be very hard.  Just as a heads up.

And don't live in the Fens or Fenway.  Acutally, strike that.  Certain parts of Fenway are ok, my bf lives right near there now.  Unless it's right near Beacon St though, stay away.  The Fens are nice during the day, but if you live there, you're bound to be mugged or have your apartment robbed at some point.  The Fens is one of the few truly sketchy places in Boston.

tbraughler

• AOL Instant Messenger - tbraughler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »
How is Jamica Plain??

Okay, I just found a website on Grand Central Apartments with user reviews.
People either loved it or hated it.  Grrr, what to do.   >:(
2-accept. (NESL, Capital)
6(ouch! eh, I take it.)-rejections
1-waitlists
Attending: NESL

aufhebung

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 03:01:38 PM »
Finding something now for 6/1 is going to be very hard. Just as a heads up.

And don't live in the Fens or Fenway. Acutally, strike that. Certain parts of Fenway are ok, my bf lives right near there now. Unless it's right near Beacon St though, stay away. The Fens are nice during the day, but if you live there, you're bound to be mugged or have your apartment robbed at some point. The Fens is one of the few truly sketchy places in Boston.

I have to agree - I'd probably try to avoid the Fenway area if possible - Beacon Hill is nice, but expensive, and it would be a little hard to buy groceries.  JP is nice, but I think you'd need to drive into Boston, which would be a nightmare.

Have you thought about living across the river?  It's a 15 minute commute from Central Square in Cambridge to Park Street station, and less than a five minute walk from there to NESL, and I bet you'd get more apartment for your money.  I lived in Central for about three years and commuted to a job downtown, and it was very convenient - plus, if you're going to have a car it's a lot easier in Cambridge than Boston.

tbraughler

• AOL Instant Messenger - tbraughler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 03:18:51 PM »
Finding something now for 6/1 is going to be very hard. Just as a heads up.

And don't live in the Fens or Fenway. Acutally, strike that. Certain parts of Fenway are ok, my bf lives right near there now. Unless it's right near Beacon St though, stay away. The Fens are nice during the day, but if you live there, you're bound to be mugged or have your apartment robbed at some point. The Fens is one of the few truly sketchy places in Boston.

I have to agree - I'd probably try to avoid the Fenway area if possible - Beacon Hill is nice, but expensive, and it would be a little hard to buy groceries.  JP is nice, but I think you'd need to drive into Boston, which would be a nightmare.

Have you thought about living across the river?  It's a 15 minute commute from Central Square in Cambridge to Park Street station, and less than a five minute walk from there to NESL, and I bet you'd get more apartment for your money.  I lived in Central for about three years and commuted to a job downtown, and it was very convenient - plus, if you're going to have a car it's a lot easier in Cambridge than Boston.

I think I will check into Cambridge.
I know, my time fram is kind of tight.  I'll make it though.   :)
2-accept. (NESL, Capital)
6(ouch! eh, I take it.)-rejections
1-waitlists
Attending: NESL

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »
if you want to sublet for the summer then find a real place for September, you can sublet my apt from June - August.  Seriously.  I am leaving and my lease isn't up until the end of August. 

Edit: it's in Beacon Hill and very affordable.
UVa it is!

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 04:05:03 PM »
I would recommend not using a broker if you can help it.  Boston apartments are expensive enough without paying them a month's rent for 15 minutes worth of time.  Craigslist is okay, but I used Bostonapartments.com (which is best if you're looking to live with a roommate).

I second the advice of going to bostonapartments.com, specifically the No-Fee Listings:

http://www.bostonapartments.com/class-nofee.htm

Perrin79

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 04:08:32 PM »

"Everyone in Allston should be killed"

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 04:11:28 PM »
Except for the College Student Furniture - their motto is "We're Cheaper than You."  God, I hope they're still there.  They were on Harvard Ave near Comm Ave intersection when I lived there.  In that Russian foods strip.  Definitely should not be shot.  I love those guys.
Attending: Fordham

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 04:12:59 PM »
I think they're still there.

And that corner of Harvard and Comm Ave are still as sketchy as ever!  (not dangerously sketchy, but dirty homeless sketchy!)

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 04:17:48 PM »
Ah, now you're just making me homesick.  :)
Attending: Fordham