Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone moving away from their significant other for school?  (Read 5676 times)

littletanuki

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone moving away from their significant other for school?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 12:17:32 PM »
I will be in NJ and my husband will be in upstate NY...about 5 hours away.  Like one of the other posters, my husband and I have been through significant separation already due to military training, deployments (Iraq and Afghanistan).  I won't say that it's hasn't been difficult, but we've managed to make it work for the past 4 years.  As odd as this sounds, I'm kind of glad I'll be farther away as it will allow  me to focus more on school work without feeling guilty for not spending time together.  During the long distance parts of our relationship (and when he wasn't deployed), we tried to see each other once a month on a weekend, and while that obviously wasn't the ideal situation, it gave us something to look forward to.  And I do have to say from experience, that while in a long distance relationship, you learn never to take each other for granted. 

All the separation we've endured has really solidified our desire to be together and has allowed us to pursue our individual interests and goals.  And that keeps us from being bored or feeling stiffled in the relationship. 

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2005, 03:00:25 PM »
As odd as this sounds, I'm kind of glad I'll be farther away as it will allow  me to focus more on school work without feeling guilty for not spending time together. 

I agree--being farther apart while at school may even make it a little easier because there will be less of a distraction.  For those that will only be a few hours apart, it will be very tempting to just jump in the car to go see your SO when the going gets rough.

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2005, 03:21:06 PM »
I will most likely be going to Notre Dame and my bf is probably going to stay here in Baton Rouge, LA. We've been dating since  we were 17. He is very supportive and not angry at all, but it is not going to be so easy. He is graduating undergrad NEXT May and might move up to South Bend then. He is thinking of transfering this fall, but he is so unsure about his own future at this point. We'll just have to see.

karita624

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2005, 03:32:18 PM »
I will be in Boston, he will be in Chicago.
*Sigh*
But he will be a 2L and I will be a 1L next year, so we are putting our relationship on hold, and I will try to land a summer job where ever he gets hired for the next summer. And we have breaks, and long weekends, so it won't be that bad.
Unless, of course, NU would FREAKING ADMIT ME. Then life would be pretty darn perfect.

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2005, 03:53:05 PM »
ann arbor to new york city about a 2 hr flight.  we did middle-of-nowhere massachusetts to los angeles for 9 months, so this is better than that, but we've been living together for two years now and i don't want to go back to long distance.  sigh.  i'm just looking at it as a good time for new experiences and growth.  i'm also straddling the "relationships take work" and "if its meant to be it will be" camps.

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2005, 04:05:57 PM »
My boyfriend and I are both grad students in philly right now. He's staying to get his pHd and i am leaving for law school.. probably syracuse so it's only 4 hours away. I don't know. I'm worried about missing him, but not at all worried about us not surviving.  He works in addtion to school so i guess i feel like it will give us both more time to focus on our work during the week.  Granted, I have a totally different issue.  I'm jewish and he's not (we've been dating for 2.5 years) My rents don't approve so they're kinda hoping me going away will break us up. which sucks!! WE're both 25 and he's my first boyfriend so at the same time i love him and i can't imagine living wihtout him. He says he wants me to go anywhere caue he knows how unhappy i am at grad school right now and that it's better for our futures.  I wish everything was just easier :)  Ok i'm just rambling :) My friend tell me it shows how much he loves me tho by telling me to go wher3ever i want and not worry about us. .. but i can't help wanting to blurt out. well aren't ya gonna miss me :)   
I love my philly phanatic :)

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2005, 04:14:52 PM »
but i can't help wanting to blurt out. well aren't ya gonna miss me :)   

this is so cute...
Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

violet5

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2005, 07:08:52 PM »
My fiance and I have put the wedding planning on hold so we can both go to law school. He will not be starting until fall 06 though. Yes, I'm incredibly nervous b/c we've never been this far away from one another and I know I'll miss him like crazy. However, I know that this could end up strengthening us and making us appreciate one another even more. He is amazingly not worried about anything. He just looks to the great future we'll have together after law school is over. I got very lucky with such a supportive guy. Now, if I could just stop freaking out about the distance thing...

Does anyone who has had a successful long-distance relationship have any advice to offer. This is all new to me. Thank you so much.  :D
2.93/159

ATTENDING: PITT!
Accepted: Toledo, Cleveland Marshall (4K/yr.-withdrawn), Seton Hall, Rutgers-Newark, Buffalo, Pitt, U Pacific
Rejected: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Temple, St.Johns
Waitlisted: Chicago-Kent, DePaul, Loyola Chicago, IU-Indy, Catholic, Case (all withdrawn)

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2005, 07:17:58 PM »
My husband and I will be separating when I go to law school this fall...I'll be in Ann Arbor, and he'll be in Berkeley. (I already finished my BA, but he went to junior college first, so he's got 2.5 years to go...)

It's the right thing to do though--we'll both be better off.  (He could have transferred to Michigan to complete his undergrad, but it would have cost 20k more per year due to being out of state, and even if we got suped up cell phones and mobile internet and visited each other every month, we couldn't possibly spend the 40k difference..)

Think of it like being a military family: you do what you gotta do, because it's right. (On the upside, however, neither of us has increased odds of dying due to our separation...)

LaneSwerver

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2005, 08:51:22 PM »
My husband and I will be separating when I go to law school this fall...I'll be in Ann Arbor, and he'll be in Berkeley. (I already finished my BA, but he went to junior college first, so he's got 2.5 years to go...)

It's the right thing to do though--we'll both be better off.  (He could have transferred to Michigan to complete his undergrad, but it would have cost 20k more per year due to being out of state, and even if we got suped up cell phones and mobile internet and visited each other every month, we couldn't possibly spend the 40k difference..)

Think of it like being a military family: you do what you gotta do, because it's right. (On the upside, however, neither of us has increased odds of dying due to our separation...)

You and I have to talk...my situation is almost identical.