Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone moving away from their significant other for school?  (Read 5460 times)

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone moving away from their significant other for school?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2005, 07:36:25 PM »
i think that, barring very rare exceptions, a non-marital relationship should not dictate where one goes to school.  i just can't see the sense in it, and have heard far too many "i went there to be with him/her and i hate myself for doing it" stories.

maybe i've been listening to my mother too closely lately, but if it's meant to be, it will be ;)
post-3L

hey not you hey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey. Not you. Hey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 07:46:08 PM »
i think that, barring very rare exceptions, a non-marital relationship should not dictate where one goes to school.  i just can't see the sense in it, and have heard far too many "i went there to be with him/her and i hate myself for doing it" stories.

maybe i've been listening to my mother too closely lately, but if it's meant to be, it will be ;)

You're forgetting that girls in their mid-to-late 20's are starting to freak out.  The old "if I don't find a person I want to spend the rest of my life with in college I'm never going to get married" syndrome.  I've seen it hit hardcore among my friend groups and girls I've dated in the past year or two.  It ain't pretty.  That said, I did a pre-emptive breakup with my girlfriend.  I figured I shouldn't prolong it if I know we're going to be breaking up come fall anyway.  Spending a whole summer together would only make it more difficult...Needless to say she didn't feel the same way.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 07:57:56 PM »
lol well congrats on the decision, and glad to see you made it out alive.

i guess i haven't run into that "find a husband now or die alone" batch.  considering myself lucky.  guys are lucky.  in our late 20's, we can find some 21-23 year old and it's still socially acceptable ;)
post-3L

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 08:08:23 PM »
If you two really love eachother, than that will be constant beyond the distance...
why would he have doubts?

im confused  ??? how many times do you guys fall in love  :-\
Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

daisyb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 08:39:00 AM »
Not EVERY girl in her 20s is freaking out--in fact, most of my friends are more interested in their own career paths to think about getting married now (including me).  Maybe it's the girls you know who act that way...I think I know more guys who are anxious to settle down  ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 08:45:48 AM »
I agree with daisyd.  I have run into an increasing number of guys in their early-mid 20s who are just dying to get married.  My girlfriends and I have no interest in marriage in the immediate future and frankly, freakishly marriage-minded guys give me the creeps!

supernga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 10:03:24 AM »
I don't plan on getting married anytime soon, and I'm 29.  But then again, it also took me 6 months to admit my bf was my bf, so maybe I'm just a slow mover - like most guys.  But I agree with OnePoint, you shouldn't let your bf/gf dictate where you should go to school.  Love knows no boundaries, man  :P  Sorry, I couldn't even type that without cracking up.

eileen2004

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 10:28:58 AM »
I don't plan on getting married anytime soon, and I'm 29.  But then again, it also took me 6 months to admit my bf was my bf, so maybe I'm just a slow mover - like most guys.  But I agree with OnePoint, you shouldn't let your bf/gf dictate where you should go to school.  Love knows no boundaries, man  :P  Sorry, I couldn't even type that without cracking up.

You sound like me.  It took me about 9 months before I stopped contradicting friends who referred to him as my "boyfriend" and even then it was mostly because I realized that by that point they were just doing it for entertainment.  I'm 27 and not exactly on the fast track to marriage/children.

trayd79

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 10:48:31 AM »
Relationships are hard, I'm glad I'll have school to concentrate on for awhile.  I think you guys are right, if you really love someone then you stick by them and what they want for themselves.  By bf is just being a jerk, I hope he comes around a little so I at least can spend some time with him before I leave.  We'll see.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 11:04:57 AM »
i'm glad to see this thread...b/c i'm 25 and in NO RUSH to get married.  All my closest friends are married, engaged, and/or expecting their first CHILD!  I am almost 26 and in a four year relationship.  I don't mind telling people NO when asked if I will get married soon...the SO and I are on the same page with that....just wait until he asks me where i am applying this fall...sigh....
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.