Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone moving away from their significant other for school?  (Read 5409 times)

trayd79

• View Profile
Anyone moving away from their significant other for school?
« on: April 20, 2005, 10:24:21 AM »
I've decided to go to school in Boston, which means leaving my boyfriend behind in CT.  We have been together for 5 years, but lately its been so on again off again, that I decided I wasn't going to hold back on my dreams for a relationship that hasn't felt very secure lately.  Even though Boston is only 1.5 hours away from where my boyfriend lives in CT, he has doubts that the relationship will survive the distance.  He is a real estate agent and is busy on the weekends and obviously I will be busy during the week.  The thing is we both love each so much, its gonna be tough for us to part.  I was just wondering if anyone else was going though a similiar situation.

daisyb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone moving away from their significant other for school?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 10:29:41 AM »
I'm most likely headed to Miami, and my boyfriend is staying near Philly.  Pretty long hike!  He absolutely doesn't want to move, but somehow thinks that three years apart will be okay.  Our relationship is pretty good, but he is the kind of guy who likes to be with his girlfriend a good amount of the time (I'm more of an independent person).  I'm not planning on going back there after school, so I don't know what he's thinking.  He said he doesn't want to break up and just throw in the towel before we know how it's going to be apart.  I'm just trying not to think about it right now.

supernga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 10:47:54 AM »
I'm probably going to be moving to Chicago, and the bf is staying here in Dallas. That's a lot farther than 1.5 hrs. Everytime I've tried to bring it up, he just tells me not to worry about it.  I'm not really sure what that means.  Maybe he's hoping I'll get in to some school in TX (I got into a couple of schools, St. Mary's and Wesleyan, but they aren't very good, and I got WL at UH).  He's been incredibly supportive through this whole process.  Ironically, when I graduated from college 6 years ago, my ex got upset with me when I told him of my plans to move to Chicago.  So I'm glad that I have such an understanding guy.  I plan on going back to practice, and for summer clerkships, so I'm hoping we can work this out.  But I don't know.  Long distance relationships are hard.  I'm almost glad that I'm so far away from him, because I don't think I'll have much time for him if he was around.  I heard 1L you are either in class, in the library, or in bed.  That just isn't fair to him.  At least when I go home for holidays and breaks, I'll be able to spend as much time with him as I can.  

bamalaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 10:59:17 AM »
I'm just trying not to think about it right now.

Same here. He seems fine with the idea of me going to school but initially he had planned on going too. He was going to leave his studies and work for 3 years. I wanted him to stay and finish because there is no better time than now as we each have no real responibilities (no kids, no mortgage, no marriage etc). I didn't want him sacrificing that for me. He was pretty sad at first but I think he understands now that I want what's best for him. Following me and furthering my dream is not best for him when he has his own opportunities waiting.

To be totally honest, I will miss him dearly. I am excited about school though. I am looking forward to the experience. I was worried if he came with I would worry about neglecting him. I did not want him to sit home with no life and wait for me. In a bittersweet way, I am excited to have total freedom with this experience. I will be lonely at first but it will work out for the best in the long run. We decided to look to the future. He can always come when he is done with his program. Just tryin to stay positive  ;D

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 11:16:57 AM »
my ex and i made the split already, mostly because of my plans on going to law school.  she moved 5 hours away in august to pursue some very good career prospects, and i think me moving even further away for school, along with the soon-to-be associated time contstraints, broke the proverbial camel's back.

looks like i'm going to have to "struggle" through this last summer as a single guy, hitting bars/pools/hot tubs with my friends and checking out random females.

life sucks :-*
post-3L

trayd79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 11:31:38 AM »
Well, at least most of you guys are dating people who understand your need to pursue your dreams and are supportive of that.  My guy wants me to go, but at the same time is angry at me for leaving him.  I turned down his offer to move in with him and pursue a law degree locally.  Its tough because we do love each other, it definately helps hearing your stories though.

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 12:24:15 PM »
I'm hoping my boyfriend will decide to move with me... we're having some pretty intense talks at the moment.  LA to NYC might have you all beat, though... I'm not looking forward to it if it comes down to that.
Attending: Fordham

lsantos623

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 01:31:50 PM »
yeah i'm in the same boat...moving to NYC, boyfriend of 2 years who I love very much is staying in berkeley for the time being.  we basically decided to play the fate game, if its meant to be it will work out (i.e. he'll move out there).  i'm so not excited about dating other guys, i'm glad i'll be extremely busy.  i was hoping i would be admitted to Boalt, but i got waitlisted, and now that columbia has offered me money, there's no way i could choose Boalt just for the sake of my love life...oh and a little piece of advice-DON'T WATCH THE NOTEBOOK IF YOU'RE IN THIS SITUATION  :'(
CLS or Boalt?????

LaneSwerver

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 01:59:19 PM »
My wife will very likely stay in Houston if I move. Beat that.

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 02:05:02 PM »
No, I think you'll be the one beating it.  ;)
Attending: Fordham