Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northern Illinois University  (Read 1428 times)

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
Northern Illinois University
« on: April 19, 2005, 07:58:21 PM »
I withdrew by email on 29 Mar. I got something in the mail from financial aid today saying I was accepted. Very odd.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
Re: Northern Illinois University
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 11:35:25 PM »
I went to NIU for undergrad...

For what it's worth, the financial aid department is totally seperate from the College of Law at NIU.  I suspect that they don't cross-reference the withdraw notices before sending out award letters.

- Comm-Law

supernga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 11:29:32 AM »
I got accepted to NIU on a free ride.  But I probably will be going to DePaul instead.  I like to owe money.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 05:25:49 PM »
supernga,

I applied and was accepted at both DePaul and NIU.  DePaul gave me 8K/year, NIU gave NOTHING..NADA..ZILCH.
What kind of numbers do you have?  I'm just wondering what it takes to get money from NIU.

- Comm-Law

superhero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 09:59:32 PM »
supernga,

I applied and was accepted at both DePaul and NIU.  DePaul gave me 8K/year, NIU gave NOTHING..NADA..ZILCH.
What kind of numbers do you have?  I'm just wondering what it takes to get money from NIU.

- Comm-Law

She probably has you beat on both numbers and looks, Comm-Law.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 10:28:51 PM »
Could be... but I didn't send them a picture ;)

supernga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 10:13:04 AM »
Damn skippy I've got the look!  Just like that Roxette song, man...GPA 2.82; LSAT 160 (82 percentile).  My gpa should be higher, but I've been out of school for 6 years, so I'm hoping they don't count that against me.  Oh yeah, and I'm an Asian female, and NIU is always looking for the colored people to fill their whitie school system.  DePaul gave me $10K a year.  Why did you withdraw from DePaul, Comm-Law?

superhero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 10:45:44 AM »
Damn skippy I've got the look!  Just like that Roxette song, man...GPA 2.82; LSAT 160 (82 percentile).  My gpa should be higher, but I've been out of school for 6 years, so I'm hoping they don't count that against me.  Oh yeah, and I'm an Asian female, and NIU is always looking for the colored people to fill their whitie school system.  DePaul gave me $10K a year.  Why did you withdraw from DePaul, Comm-Law?

Unreal.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 04:10:20 PM »
Hmmm... What is unreal is that I have damn near the same numbers as supernga and NIU didn't give a dime.  I guess I just need to be a URM.  Maybe I should apply overseas where I WOULD be a URM ;)

- Comm-Law

P.S. I actually wrote to withdraw from DePaul and they talked me into sending in a seat deposit in hopes that they might come up with additional scholarship funds.  I guess I'm still holding out hope for that one otherwise it's going to be Toledo for me.

supernga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 04:32:39 PM »
Believe me, I was pretty surprised myself.  I knew I'd get some scholarship, but a full ride?  Wow, I really just applied because they offered to waive my app fee.  I got big $$$ from almost every school that offered to waive my app fee, except for Hofstra.  Are you from IL?  That might make a difference, too.  NIU tuition is twice as expensive for out-of-state students, but you can still apply for residency after 6 months.  So I'd still have to pay $8K for my first year.  But the $300 monthly stipend would've helped, too.  I don't know much about the school itself, except that it's in the middle of a cornfield.