Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: need advice: leaving a job...when should i notify  (Read 1488 times)

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: need advice: leaving a job...when should i notify
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 02:18:01 PM »
I work for a defense contractor and will give them 3 weeks. Even though I'm "on contract", i can leave as long as i give proper notice.

jpelt

• Blueman and Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 03:25:33 PM »
Be careful how early you notify them.  My employers knew that I had been applying to law school and that I would be following my husband to wherever his residency took him.  I decided to do them a favor and let them know early when my last day would be so that they could work on hiring my replacement and I could train her and make the transition easier on my bosses (I am currently a legal secretary in a large firm). It didn't work that way.  In short - don't give any more notice than you are required to, because there is a great potential that your remaining time will be miserable...may as well lessen the misery as much as possible.

eastvwest05

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 03:48:49 PM »
I've been debating the same thing myself.  I've been at the same company for 3 years and I plan to give about 2 months notice.  I do have a good relationship with my boss though.  In my situation I'm more worried about motivating myself to work hard those last 2 months than my boss making the time unbearable.  The time it would take to find a replacement would certainly vary depending on your field, so I think you need to take that into account when deciding how much notice to give.

soma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 04:35:31 PM »
I'm in the same boat: have been with my company since October, haven't told anyone what I'm up to. Prior to that I was trying to go full-time from temp status at my previous employer, and I revealed during interviews for full-time that I was thinking of going to law school the following year. I think that's one reason I didn't get the full-time spot (let's not speculate about any others  ;) ).

I have a good relationship with my manager, everybody's been easygoing, no messed-up office politics around here. I am planning to give a month's notice so I can help interview and train my replacement.

Good advice in this thread, thanks to all who put their two cents in.
3.89/163
Hot: University of Washington, UC-Davis, Santa Clara, University of British Columbia
Cold: Stanford, Berkeley
Lukewarm: UCLA

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 04:46:37 PM »
I am also in this position and my boss has a tendency to take people leaving very badly (ie personally.) I plan to give plenty of notice (a month or so) but also give it at a time when, if he asks me to leave, I can afford to leave. He has been known to do this. I am hoping since I am leaving for school and not another job he will take it better. This has been true in the past. I am really nervous about it and it is at least a month and a half away. In fact, I have been nervous about it since I started preparing for the LSAT. :-\
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 05:06:07 PM »
I am also in this position and my boss has a tendency to take people leaving very badly (ie personally.) I plan to give plenty of notice (a month or so) but also give it at a time when, if he asks me to leave, I can afford to leave. He has been known to do this. I am hoping since I am leaving for school and not another job he will take it better. This has been true in the past. I am really nervous about it and it is at least a month and a half away. In fact, I have been nervous about it since I started preparing for the LSAT. :-\

Yep at my place there is a rumor that a few years ago a girl resigned to go to grad school and the manager asked her to leave the building immediately. 

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 06:26:15 PM »
i am erring on the side of only giving two weeks.  i just feel bad because it is obvious that this has been in the planning for some time and i don't want to come off as unethical in that i havent given any warning or made poeple aware that this is an option..
thoughts?
"Que ve esta noviembre?"

Winnitonk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 06:31:25 PM »
i am erring on the side of only giving two weeks.  i just feel bad because it is obvious that this has been in the planning for some time and i don't want to come off as unethical in that i havent given any warning or made poeple aware that this is an option..
thoughts?

I think it really depends upon your work environment.  If your employer/colleagues are going to start treating you poorly, or as a useless "lame duck" because they know you are leaving, then don't give any more than the obligatory two week notice.  If, however, the employer has been good to you and you know that you will be treated well until your last day, I would (and did) give as much notice as possible....
Accepted: Georgetown, UPenn, Northwestern, NYU, BU, USC, Chicago
Denied: Yale, Harvard
Waitlisted: Columbia, Stanford

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 06:33:35 PM »
Give them exactly what they require, and not a day more, which is usually 2 weeks.
Even if your are in good with your boss, it's never good to let them know more than 2 weeks in advance.  If they know you are leaving, you will be treated differently, and sometimes badly.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 06:38:03 PM »

If your boss takes it personally, and you're worried about being told to leave immediately, then you need to give two weeks.  Don't give a month, you're only potentially cheating yourself out of 1 or 2 paychecks adn creating a hostile environment.  Give the minimum, and nothing else.