Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baylor vs. Arkansas  (Read 1091 times)

Dixon

• View Profile
Re: Baylor vs. Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 12:32:37 AM »
FloridaLaw, since I know that you are very concerned about the USN&WR rankings I discovered something that I think might make you feel better...

Arkansas is currently going through what they call a "diversity initiative" which I have not fully explored but I can only think means that the school is trying to recruit more minorities.

I think that last year the incoming class was over 20% black, or "urm". Now I have to assume that these "urms" probably had sub-150 LSATs or else they would have gone to much better schools.

If a school can have a quarter of it's class with such low LSATs and still "rank" as high as it does says something about the school.  When I look around at the minority percentages for other state schools they are much lower.  If Arkansas were to recruit fewer minorities I think that they would be "ranked" much higher.  Not that anything is wrong with that, just that it does skew the numbers.

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 09:58:22 AM »
FloridaLaw, since I know that you are very concerned about the USN&WR rankings I discovered something that I think might make you feel better...

I do care about the ranking, since it does indicate the reputation of schools to a certain degree; however, I am not very concerned about the ranking. 

With that being said, I have said this before, I personally won't attend half of the Tier 3 schools (UA-Fay, Stetson and many others excluded) and most of the Tier 4 schools due to reputation, employment stats, etc.  I have nothing against Tier 3 or Tier 4 schools.  For exemple, I would have no problem going to Mississippi College (Tier 4, but I didn't apply there) if I didn't get my acceptance to UA-Fay.

I like to avoid risk if it's possible.  If I am spending 3 years, thousands of dollars, and countless hours of work, I want to be as certain as I can to have as little debts as possible and employed after graduation, preferably in a job that I like and a salary that I desire.  I am just being realistic about all of this. 

p.s. I am excited about UA-Fay and I hope to see you guys there in August.  :)

HTH.

FloridaLaw.  8)

Marco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 09:00:21 AM »
I'm certainly leaning to UArk...though i'm still holding out for a waitlist or two so I can make a decision based on all the variables being in...

I think the fact that Arkansas is trying to diversify their student population says alot about the school and their committment to serving their state's population. 

Have y'all been to the Fayetteville area?  I was their a couple of years ago and loved it...lots to do outside...

Take it easy and very likely i'll see y'all soon...

be10dwn

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 02:40:57 PM »
I like NW Arkansas alot.  The thing I will say is that we went up this week to buy a house and ended up spending a bit more than we had planned.  We were told that the area is the fasted growing region percentage wise in the country, and it is defintely a sellers market up there.  The person we are buying our house from didn't come off her asking price very much at all, like maybe 1%, adn she could probably have gotten more had she not been in the exact same situation as I was when she started law school.  SLong story short, if you are looking at buying a house, you will be speding at the very least around 130,000 for a 3 bed two bath 1300 sq ft house.  I did see some rental town homes and things that looked pretty nice, and there are several new apartment complexes being built.  Hope this all helps you guys. 

Mignon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 04:41:12 PM »
Does anyone know what the out of state tuition is for 2005-2006?

I've been waiting to find out.  I called the school last week and no one STILL knows what the cost will be.

Marco

• View Profile
Arknasas tuition...
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 12:48:41 PM »
For anyone headed to Arkansas from out of state, i've learned it is very simple to get in-state classification even for the coming spring.  If you get a place to live beginning the first part of July, change your vehicle registration, drivers licence, voter registration and bank account, you can gain in state status for the spring...saving a cool $4000.

I'm headed up there the first of next week...

soon-

Dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 02:54:31 PM »
Yea, I took care of all of those things when I got my apartment at the end of May.  I was told that you needed to have all of those things done by June 30, but my information might not be accurate.  I know that you need to have all of those things in place for six months before you are eligible fo in-state tuition.

You also have to submit a statement of intent to make Arkansas your permanent residence, so those of you planning on leaving right after graduation might not want to be real vocal about that until you get your tuition set.

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 03:13:03 PM »
I know that you need to have all of those things in place for six months before you are eligible fo in-state tuition.

Talked to the registrar office and I was told that as long as you get those done by mid-July, it should be fine.

"You also have to submit a statement of intent to make Arkansas your permanent residence, so those of you planning on leaving right after graduation might not want to be real vocal about that until you get your tuition set."

Do you know the deadline for submitting this statement of intent along with all the proof of residency?