Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with schools- John Marshall v. Suffolk???  (Read 778 times)

dollies1213

• View Profile
Help with schools- John Marshall v. Suffolk???
« on: April 19, 2005, 03:30:56 PM »
I received scholarship offers from both John Marshall and Suffolk University Law, but plan on transferring to Northwestern next fall (I was accepted as a second year, transfer student by NW, contingent upon me attending an ABA-approved law school this fall and getting at least a 3.0 GPA during my first year of law school).  I wanted to attend a smaller law school this fall, ace my classes and transfer to Northwestern next fall (I do not need to re-apply).  I currently live in Boston and would love to stay another year, but am not sure if going to Suffolk for my first year will hurt my recruiting opportunities for a job in Chicago as a 2L. 

Any suggestions?  Does it matter which small school I attend this fall, so long as I receive great grades???  Does Suffolk have a stronger program than John Marshall?

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with schools- John Marshall v. Suffolk???
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 03:36:46 PM »
I'm not sure what your definition of "small" is but both John MArshall and Suffolk are some of the biggest law schools around, albeit not very well ranked.

I would think going to John MArshall is probably your better bet, you will already be in Chicago for your transfer to Northwestern for 2L; big firms in Chicago will have heard of John Marshall at least, cannot say the same for Suffolk; and you will be closer to NW for various networking opportunities that may be available to you.

Reputation-wise, both are decent regional schools in their respective markets, comparing them would be a waste of time since you're definitely leaving after the first year to go to a school in Chicago.  I beleive the choice is clear.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

Slothrop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 03:48:40 PM »
Um, how does this exactly work?  Is this common?  You were accepted to Northwestern as a transfer student, without having attended your 1st year?   ???  I've heard that Suffolk has some pretty brutal grading though, so I'm not sure how easy getting a 3.0 would be.  You might want to find out more about grading curves, that could push you one way or the other.

Abevigoda, have you decided between Catholic and Kent yet?  Just curious, I sent my deposit to Kent for PT, but I'm still waiting on others. 

dollies1213

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 03:50:39 PM »
Yes- I pretty much bombed my LSAT, but had a strong application in all other respects.  It is a very strange offer, but they are giving me a chance to attend and I will take it.  I think they just want to make sure I am not a total idiot, thus making sure I can pull at least a 3.0 at another law school first. 

I have heard that the curve at Suffolk is terrible.  I am not too worried about getting great grades, but you never know.  I am not sure what the grading system is like at John Marshall, though.

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 03:51:27 PM »
Still deciding, I have to go back and visit Kent again just to make me more comfortable with the Catholic decision.  I'm now 80% certain on Catholic.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

meme

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 02:48:34 AM »
dollie,
i'm just curious if you've decided whether you're going to JM or Suffolk? i'm waitlisted at both.

JM grading is draconian, according to what i've heard. ostensibly, it is virtually impossible to transfer out of there, especially higher up, since people are dying trying to get even into the top 40% of the class, grade-wise.

Para Legal

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 07:25:29 AM »
Yes- I pretty much bombed my LSAT, but had a strong application in all other respects.  It is a very strange offer, but they are giving me a chance to attend and I will take it.  I think they just want to make sure I am not a total idiot, thus making sure I can pull at least a 3.0 at another law school first. 

I have heard that the curve at Suffolk is terrible.  I am not too worried about getting great grades, but you never know.  I am not sure what the grading system is like at John Marshall, though.

Did they come up with this offer on their own, or did you negotiate it? How did you apply (fulltime/transfer, etc)...did this come up in the interview? Seriously... details. Thia is probably one of the strangest offers I've heard of but I'm intrigued.

Thanks- Para
Hamline University School of Law
1L

john2364

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 09:51:02 AM »
it does not make sence that it would be harder to get into the top 40 percent at jmls then another similar ranked school. Their curve is standard, so it would really only depend on competition.