Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Toledo vs PSU-Dickinson  (Read 712 times)

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Toledo vs PSU-Dickinson
« on: April 19, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »
Ok, I love PSU and have wanted to go there from the start.  I would not mind spending time in central PA after school, maybe even a long time.  I could not handle living in Ohio, but I am from Southeast Michigan and could stay here.  Will Toledo's rep carry into SE MI?  Also, I may try to move to Charlotte after school since I will have family there.  I will pay for LS myself, I already have 20K in undergrad debt.  Toledo is 12K per year while PSU is 25K, and COL is similar both places.  Also, my admission to Toledo is a reduced load program - 9 credits (daytime) first semester, then full-time.  I would automatically go full-time after first semester, it's not conditional or any other BS and I would finish on time (3 years).  My heart says PSU, but my wallet says Toledo.  My fiance on the other hand says PSU.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
Re: Toledo vs PSU-Dickinson
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 02:07:49 PM »
heart + fiance > wallet

at least that's how i see it, in your case :)  psu places very well in the region you're apparently comfortable living in, and i wouldn't let the prospect of the increased debt ($39k) change your mind.
post-3L

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 05:42:31 PM »
more advice anyone?

noshow5220

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 08:39:41 PM »
wow, almost the same position im in.  i have a full ride at toledo, but i love penn st.  samford is also a possibility because i want to come back to tennessee and everyone around here has told me to go there.  i went to toledo on admitted students day and it was incredible.  i also visited toledo and was really impressed. i was suprised.  i talked to a fairly prominent attorney in chattanooga, my hometown, and he told me if i wanna come back there basically toledo is almost unheard of and if im not in the top of the class i could have a hard time even getting an interview.  he said dickinson benefits greatly from the affiliation and should only get better in the next few years.  i have the feeling that even though most people on this board would tell you this is not true, penn st almost gives dickinson national recognition and credibility.  he said for chattanooga samford is almost a sure thing, outstanding trial program, great reputation in the south.  i know this probably helps you not a bit, just letting you know someone is in the exact same situation.  are penn st and samford worth 75, 000 more than toledo?  samford or penn st, i like them both alot.  i just have no idea what to do.  i guess they are all 3 great schools.  i dunno 100k+ debt is just scary.  im just as confused as you are.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 10:57:16 PM »
Yeah. as you can see by my info, I was accepted at Samford as well.  I think for you, the question is... do you definately want to get out of Ohio right after law school.  How did you manage to get a full ride from Toledo and no money at PSU or Samford, that's crazy.  Sometimes I wonder if the regional thing is overdone.  Sure it must be difficult to sell a somewhat unknown law school, but it's not like I'm trying to break into NYC or DC or Chicago.  It seems like I could find something in the Charlotte are and you could find something in Chattanooga.  Maybe it would be more difficult, but not impossible.  Or, maybe it will be that hard, and the jobs we would find wouldn't be as good.  This is such a tough one, I'm still leaning toward PSU, but I haven't been able to visit Toledo despite it being about 2 1/2 hours away from me, if that.  Guess I'll have to visit by the end of the month, maybe weekend after next, and talk to my cousin who graduated from Toledo law many years ago.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 11:12:45 PM »
I always wondered why schools have a good placement rate outside their region in the South Atlantic states.  Duh.  It just hit me, they don't have near as many law schools there.  Ohio has eight dang law schools.

I'm going to say, go with your wallet and go to Toledo.  Like you said, you aren't trying to break into NYC or LA.  I think Toledo will let you do that.

violet5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 05:50:57 AM »
The most common advice I am given from practicing attorneys is to keep down the debt. Evaluate whether or not the extra $$ is worth any difference btw the 2 or 3 schools. If you are concerned about job opps in another area, call and talk to someone at Toledo. I know they would be happy to put you in contact with any alumni from that area. I know they've done it before for people with those concerns. They seem really willing to work with you to get you a job wherever you want to go. Give em a call.

Good luck with your decision.   :)
2.93/159

ATTENDING: PITT!
Accepted: Toledo, Cleveland Marshall (4K/yr.-withdrawn), Seton Hall, Rutgers-Newark, Buffalo, Pitt, U Pacific
Rejected: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Temple, St.Johns
Waitlisted: Chicago-Kent, DePaul, Loyola Chicago, IU-Indy, Catholic, Case (all withdrawn)

noshow5220

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 06:12:38 PM »
yeah i dunno i guess these are all questions ive just gotta figure out.  i got the full ride from toledo because my second lsat was far better than my first (161, 151) and im guessing they dont average.  i really like toledo.  the campus was incredible, one of the nicest ive seen.  i was impressed and surprised.  i do have a contact from down here that graduated from toledo i think 2 or 3 years ago...im gonna give her a call pretty soon.  i do think what you say is true about being able to get a job in smaller market, im not looking to go to dc ny or any of those places.  after i talk to my contact i will let ya'll know.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 04:47:33 AM »
Well, the decision was made for me today.  I have credit that is in recovery mode and I was turned down for the 22K private loan I would need at Dickinson.  At first I was extremely dissappointed, I think this hurt more than a rejection would have.  Now I am coming to terms with Toledo.  As I mentioned it was a last minute app, and now I am thankfull I did it.  I called my cousin, the Toledo grad, and he said I should be very happy there.  Cost of living seems very decent, and I have heard goo things about the school.  I have not visited yet, so if someone can fill me in a little I would greatly appreciate it.  The biggest dissappointment for me isn't the school, it's not living in central PA, I know this sounds stupid, but I was really looking forward to Carlisle.  It is also natural for Michiganders to hate Ohio, and it is difficult for me to accept that I will be spending three or more years there.  Well, I'm glad I can go to law school anyway, my debt will be much less, my family will be closer, and I will ultimately make the best of it.  I am trying to get myself pumped up for Toledo like I was for PSU, I will visit very soon and I sent my seat deposit today.  Does anyone have the figures they use for allotted amount to live on, for some reason it's not on the website.  Anyway, I thought I would share my little story.

violet5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 06:18:13 AM »
Cost of living is incredibly cheap in Toledo. At the admitted students day, they gave us lots of apartment info and I was really impressed with the prices and quality. They mentioned that they will have a housing event at the end of May where reps from different apartment complexes will be there. If you are looking for a roommate, you will be able to hook up with one there. You should have no trouble finding housing there, it's very abundant. If you have any ?s, let me know.
2.93/159

ATTENDING: PITT!
Accepted: Toledo, Cleveland Marshall (4K/yr.-withdrawn), Seton Hall, Rutgers-Newark, Buffalo, Pitt, U Pacific
Rejected: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Temple, St.Johns
Waitlisted: Chicago-Kent, DePaul, Loyola Chicago, IU-Indy, Catholic, Case (all withdrawn)