Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT writing section ?  (Read 1039 times)

M2

LSAT writing section ?
« on: May 28, 2004, 04:04:37 PM »
This isn't talked abot much because most people agree it doesn't really matter (as long as its there), but does anyone have any guidelines for writing it?

I am mostly concerned with length, as the few times I have written it out, it has only taken up about half of the page.

Any comments?

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT writing section ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 04:12:13 PM »
i actually practiced my last 4-5 practice lsats with the writing section and an experimental section. 

ive gone with advice someone told me...
on a separate blank section:
1) write out your main statement.
2) write out 2-3 points for/against.
3) write out your conclusion.

then elaborate on each as separate paragraphs. dont worry about transitions.  just stick to the point.

put it together, then work on the transitional words/phrases from each paragraph as you go. 

i found this to be much more efficient than trying to write continuously from one paragraph to another.

i know it sounds elementary, but going back to the basics worked for me.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 04:30:51 PM »
i wouldnt sweat it.  write the first paragraph as a restatement of the problem you have to solve then restate the two possible options and the criteria you must consider when making the decision.

second one talk about the choice you dont take.  first discuss strengths then highlight weaknesses.

3rd paragraph talk about the choice you want and address/dismiss weaknesses,

4th paragraph say you are recomending whatever choice because it will do blah blah blah blah blah.

i think as long as you dont turn it in blank and stick on topic it doesnt really matter what you write.

legalblonde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 05:21:18 PM »
I read an interview with an admissions officer one time.  He said that he definitely reads them, and said that if anything it gives a good baseline comparison between your unedited writing and the edited personal statement.  That makes me a bit nervous, but I'm going to try the techniques that the last poster suggested. I guess some people think it's a joke and just write a few sentences because they think nobody will read them.  That might be true, but it's probably not worth taking that chance!   

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 06:44:54 PM »
In my powerscore course, she had us set up a grid into 4 quadrants.  the horizontal are your choices, and each column points for, and points against, just to orgainize everything.

She said the biggest things to do are make sure you actually argue for ONE choice, don't be wishy washy.  That, and write neatly, since your essay will stand out more if it looks like a second grader or, on the other side of the spectrum, like a physician wrote it.

dta

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 09:27:18 PM »
I'm going to practice this section the day of the test.   :)

M2

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 09:46:32 PM »
I'm going to practice this section the day of the test.   :)

LoL...yeh I dont find this section hard at all...and I think I may even dip out right at the beginning to go get a drink of water.

The times i have practiced it it has only taken about 15 min. I was more concerned with the length...but I'm sure it will be fine