Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Moving--any suggestion?  (Read 647 times)

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Moving--any suggestion?
« on: April 19, 2005, 11:45:12 AM »
How is everyone planning on moving all of their belongings? 

I called U-haul to get a price quote.  It was around $700 and Id have to do all the work.  Does that seem absurd to anyone else?  Anyone have experience moving that can make suggestions on how to save some money?

Nalgene

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Moving--any suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 12:04:36 PM »
Its going to cost me over $2,000 to move by renting a U-haul. Its expensive when you move from one coast to the other. If you don't have a lot of furniture and stuff (I do), then sell your big stuff and pack everything you own in your car, and buy new things when you get there. That's how I moved in undergrad.

AmanteDolciume

• My new baby!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 12:36:41 PM »
oneof2...how far are you moving? I got a U-haul rate of appx $700 also, for me moving from Sacramento to Eugene, Oregon. It's only around a seven hour drive, but I think they jack up the prices for one-way moves.

There's another thread somewhere on LSD about moving. Someone mentioned that Budget and Penske might match prices. They also mentioned trying ABF or Door To Door type movers, where you pack it up, and they carry your stuff to your new location.
Attending: Oregon
Accepted: McGeorge (w/$), Cal Western (withdrawn), Oregon
Rejected: Hastings, Davis
Withdrawn: USD

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=amantedolciume

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 12:37:35 PM »
Don't use U-Haul.  They don't understand how reservations work.

You'd be MUCH better off using Budget or someone else.  I think I'm going with Penske.  They have the best reviews, the newest trucks, and don't ream you up the butt for 1 way moves.

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 01:43:32 PM »
oneof2...how far are you moving? I got a U-haul rate of appx $700 also, for me moving from Sacramento to Eugene, Oregon. It's only around a seven hour drive, but I think they jack up the prices for one-way moves.

There's another thread somewhere on LSD about moving. Someone mentioned that Budget and Penske might match prices. They also mentioned trying ABF or Door To Door type movers, where you pack it up, and they carry your stuff to your new location.

Im moving about 8 hours away and I had heard that they jack up the prices for a one-way move.  I wouldnt mind doing the whole pack it up business and then have someone else move it/drive it down for me.  Do you think the price for that would be comparable to just renting the truck and driving it yourself?  Then I wouldnt have to worry about getting my car down there too. 

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 01:44:29 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  Im going to look into the other companies you all have suggested.  Ill let you know what they say...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 01:46:35 PM »
This was posted on the other moving thread (which you really should search for and read), but I'll post it here too.

Be careful with the "u pack we move" type of stuff.  Read the info in the discussion section of this site, and you'll get reviews on truck rentals, u pack we move places, and actual moving companies.

http://www.movingscam.com/

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »
This was posted on the other moving thread (which you really should search for and read), but I'll post it here too.

Be careful with the "u pack we move" type of stuff.  Read the info in the discussion section of this site, and you'll get reviews on truck rentals, u pack we move places, and actual moving companies.

http://www.movingscam.com/

Thanks, Jacy. 

AmanteDolciume

• My new baby!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 02:07:16 PM »
Yeah, thanks for the movingscam link. Will have to look through that.

The ABF web quote won't give me a quote because it said they specialize in out-of-state moves and moves of over 500 miles. (Last I checked I qualified for out-of-state (CA to OR?) and I barely miss the 500 miles.) So I'm not sure how much that type of move would be compared to a U-haul type move. :(
Attending: Oregon
Accepted: McGeorge (w/$), Cal Western (withdrawn), Oregon
Rejected: Hastings, Davis
Withdrawn: USD

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=amantedolciume

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
Im going about 550--From TN to LA.  Let's see if they'll give me one...