Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asian Parent: "Law School? Why Didn't You Make It Into Med School?"  (Read 9762 times)

strawberry tort

• View Profile
Re: Asian Parent: "Law School? Why Didn't You Make It Into Med School?"
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2005, 07:12:44 PM »
Strangely, my parents are actually kinda opposite. They like that I'm going to law school instead of med school. My younger sister wants to go to med school, and my parents think that it'll take forever for her to actually start work and settle down to have a family. Funny though. They still want a doctor in the family. Go figure.

at203

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2005, 02:09:08 PM »

What job opportunities (and salary) are there for a PhD in economics or other business degree?  My interest in business 'management' is waning, but am curious about the academic/theoretical application of an advanced business degree?

Part of my interest in engineering was the theoretical nature, which is also th reason im looking into law.  im guessing a doctorate in business would also hinge on the theoretical side, unlike a MBA which (in my ignorance) seems mundane

I know PhDs in Physics from Columbia, both of whom got work in finance.  One of them is VP at Bear Stearns doing some super-complicated pricing models having to do with mortgage-backed derivative securities.  The other worked at MIT for two years and now has a similar job.  If you have superior quantitative skills and half-way decent social skills, there's room (and pay) for you on Wall Street.

SkullTatt

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2005, 07:23:29 PM »
I know a PhD in math and another in economics who both have high positions in finance and make mid-six-figure bank.

BuckFush

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2005, 02:52:10 AM »
So glad to find some fellow Asian law students.  I went to a Vietnamese wedding last weekend, where I announced that I was going to law school.  The reaction was something along the lines of this:

Parents' Friend: "So when are you getting married?"
Me: "Uh...not any time soon.  You see, I'm going to law school!" <beaming proud smile>
Parents' Friend: <blank stare> "Law school?  You mean med school, right?"
Me: "No, law school.  I start this fall in Chicago".
Parents' Friend: "Oh.  Chicago's cold".

Not exactly the kind of congratulations I was expecting.  I probably would've gotten a more excited reaction if I told them I was attending pharmacy school or mortuary school.

Sounds like you made the best move imaginable given the circumstances.