Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asian Parent: "Law School? Why Didn't You Make It Into Med School?"  (Read 10752 times)

XYZZY

Re: Asian Parent: "Law School? Why Didn't You Make It Into Med School?"
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2005, 12:06:15 PM »

What job opportunities (and salary) are there for a PhD in economics or other business degree?  My interest in business 'management' is waning, but am curious about the academic/theoretical application of an advanced business degree?

Part of my interest in engineering was the theoretical nature, which is also th reason im looking into law.  im guessing a doctorate in business would also hinge on the theoretical side, unlike a MBA which (in my ignorance) seems mundane

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2005, 08:33:35 PM »
i dont know why cutting people open and looking at their internal organs is considered to be such an "elite" profession.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2005, 12:10:13 PM »
I know some doctors that have left their profession and went on to law school.  They were paying so much in malpractice insurance, they figured "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
Fed gov't atty

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2005, 04:05:02 PM »
I'm worse. I teased them by majoring in biology during undergrad.

My parents are pretty Americanized, so as long as I become either a doctor, lawyer, or astronaut, they're a-okay with me.  ;D

LOL

;D

NJHandyGirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you listening or are you waiting to talk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2005, 09:15:54 PM »
I must say, I truly enjoyed this thread!

My two cents, so I can contribute instead of just lurk:
My African-American mother says: "What do you mean you're not happy!? You should be happy with what you're doing--you're making money, you have your own house--NOBODY'S TRULY HAPPY!!!"

My sister's a nurse ;)
Attending: Georgia State
I'm not a lawyer, I just watch one on TV.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2005, 10:54:48 PM »

My African-American mother says: "What do you mean you're not happy!? You should be happy with what you're doing--you're making money, you have your own house--NOBODY'S TRULY HAPPY!!!"

My sister's a nurse ;)

yes this thread is awesome.

:)

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2005, 11:47:31 PM »

My sister's a nurse ;)
------------------------------
I did not see if we have a Jersey girl over here. By the way, where in NJ you reside? one more thing, why you decide not go to Seton Hall?
perhaps, when you have a chance, be kind  to reply.
IN-: Indiana University-Indianapolis, Thomas M. Cooley
DEFFERED-: University of Tulsa,
OUT-: University of Akron, Drexel, University of Arkansas-Fayette...,U baltimore.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=haitian

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2005, 11:57:05 PM »

What job opportunities (and salary) are there for a PhD in economics or other business degree?  My interest in business 'management' is waning, but am curious about the academic/theoretical application of an advanced business degree?

Part of my interest in engineering was the theoretical nature, which is also th reason im looking into law.  im guessing a doctorate in business would also hinge on the theoretical side, unlike a MBA which (in my ignorance) seems mundane

---------------

If you have a Ph.D in any field, there is not that much you can do with it, you can either go to the academia or doing research.
Otherwise, you will be OVERSKILLED for the market.
Having a Ph.D in Economic can open a lot of doors for you, if yoiu decide to go into reasearch, such as working for World Bank, Monetery International Fund, United Nation, Federal Reserve, and any these big non-profit organizations which focus on economic and poverty issues., and also, World Trade Organization, a lot of them.
and After retired, you can decide to go into teaching.
some of the professors, they start them with more than 100k, but after having a lot experiences from these organizations that I have just mentioned and also those that I don't mention.
OUT-: University of Akron, Drexel, University of Arkansas-Fayette...,U baltimore.

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2005, 12:08:23 AM »

------
I forget to respond to the second part of your question. you mentioned that an MBA is mundane. Come on, would you call a law degree mundane also? Because I must state that more people than ever before are going for Law Degree. Are you aware that some lawyers are making 35k years? some are even unemployed? It might look surprising at first, but it is a reality? Be aware that if you have this mind set, you can clasify a law degree in the same category. you need to question yourself why you want to go for a law degree, and also for an MBA if this is the case.
Do not think that you're going for law degree as a unique profession. I truthfully believe that you have been confused. you need to ask yourself why you want to study law or MBA? is it for the uniqueness? if this is the case, I would advice you instead to for a Medical Degree, since there is still not many Medical Doctors out there yet. As for the Law degree, there are plenty of it out there.
Good luck.

asiangirl83

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2005, 04:14:43 AM »
hahaha... well I screwed up in Biology.  Too bad.  Now my GPA is also blemished from these science classes.  But I heard adcoms see this a lot so I guess it's not so bad.