Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asian Parent: "Law School? Why Didn't You Make It Into Med School?"  (Read 10196 times)

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Asian Parent: "Law School? Why Didn't You Make It Into Med School?"
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2005, 11:47:33 PM »
My parents were exactly like this.  I am glad to have found company. 

calgrad- that was like my story. Biology major, they initially wanted me to be a doctor (big surprise) I hated bio, knew my gpa wasn't high enough for med school (not as if I wanted to go there) decided to be a dentist (which they felt was a secondr ate doctor). Decided during organic chemistry that I hated science and bio and wanted to go to law school. Parents flipped out (this was my senior yr) tried to persuade me to take a yr. off after graduating to solely study for the mcat I told them no I would study for the lsat, and I didnt't want to be a doctor. Then they said they would settle for a dentist, I said I hated science. They said they would settle for a phd in bio, repeated I HATE SCIENCE, said they would settle for a masters... anyway until this day my dad is still trying to get me to go to med school, dental school, optometry school, pharmacy school, or anything else health professions related. He's slowly accepting law school, but the other day he said.. why don't you take the lsat again get a 170 and go to a really good school! I was like omg if it were only that easy... NO! He thinks i'm going to be like those guys on tv with those cheesy commercials, I don't know why they are unaware that there is alot of money to be made in law (cuz you know that's all they care about)

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2005, 11:53:57 PM »
Except you'd be a tool and be totally disrepected by your peers.  Despite what you say your parents would expect, it's just not done.  I work in an office with over 100 attorneys, and NONE of them are called doctor unless they received a PhD in something before or after receiving their J.D.

You can print out the cards in Chinese (or whaever) so that your parents can hand them out to their friends!!!!!    :D :D :D :D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2005, 09:24:07 AM »
Now that's not a bad idea!   :D

Trinitygunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's my baby picture?
    • MSN Messenger - kennfukuda@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trinitygunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2005, 09:51:58 AM »
Except you'd be a tool and be totally disrepected by your peers.  Despite what you say your parents would expect, it's just not done.  I work in an office with over 100 attorneys, and NONE of them are called doctor unless they received a PhD in something before or after receiving their J.D.

AGAIN i never said i WOULD. i simply said you are ALLOWED to. why are people connecting two dots that i never connected....

Although, i must say, a lot of law professors with JDs only do use the "doctor" title. why we get personal here?
final product...pending approval: 94 pages

ormachea

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2005, 02:23:19 PM »
It's something I'd say to my parents but only as an aside--as in "now I could be called doctor"

supernga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2005, 02:47:19 PM »
I am really into world affairs, politics, and law, and they could just care less, they are just bio, bollywood, nihari, and Honda. Whereas I am, flying, sports, and politics.

lol I guess I have a genetic mutation or something that has pulled me away from the robotic desi mentality assembly line.

LOL.  You wanna hear some stereotyping your own peeps?  My Asian peeps are into med school, or dental/optometry/pharmacy school as the back-up; the males are busy souping up their white Honda Accords by putting a 6 ft. spoiler on their car with Chinese lettering; and the females are spend $500 on a stupid Louis Vitton purse that will have no money, because they spent all of it on a stupid Louis Vitton purse, and Hello Kitty stickers on their cell phones.

No offense to anyone on this thread who plans to be a Hello Kitty, Louis Vitton-toting, 6-ft. spoiler Accord-riding attorney...

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2005, 08:40:27 PM »
It's Louis Vuitton!

ormachea

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2005, 01:12:19 AM »
Don't forget the mandatory DDR time!   ::)

Can't mention Asian stereotypes without that one.

Trinitygunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's my baby picture?
    • MSN Messenger - kennfukuda@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trinitygunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2005, 09:20:08 AM »
Don't forget the mandatory DDR time!   ::)

Can't mention Asian stereotypes without that one.

is it me, or does DDR SCREAM nerd?
final product...pending approval: 94 pages

NYKnicks

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2005, 11:00:06 AM »
You're not a DDR nerd unless you can dance using both pads.