Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asian Parent: "Law School? Why Didn't You Make It Into Med School?"  (Read 10337 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Asian Parent: "Law School? Why Didn't You Make It Into Med School?"
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2005, 02:07:45 PM »
I hope you're not planning on actually using those business cards in the legal field.  Otherwise you're likely going to get a lot of laughs and snickers behind your back.

A J.D. isn't considered a doctorate in the legal field.  A LLM is more the "doctorate"  There's a reason lawyers overwhelmingly use Esquire after their name, as opposed to addressing themselves as "Doctor so-and-so"

So save the "Doctorate" business cards for the family.

Trinitygunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's my baby picture?
    • MSN Messenger - kennfukuda@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trinitygunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2005, 03:43:11 PM »
I hope you're not planning on actually using those business cards in the legal field.  Otherwise you're likely going to get a lot of laughs and snickers behind your back.

A J.D. isn't considered a doctorate in the legal field.  A LLM is more the "doctorate"  There's a reason lawyers overwhelmingly use Esquire after their name, as opposed to addressing themselves as "Doctor so-and-so"

So save the "Doctorate" business cards for the family.

Yes. true. but apparently, with a JD (Juris DOCTOR) you are now allowed to title yourself with a Dr.
final product...pending approval: 94 pages

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2005, 03:44:17 PM »
Sure, you can, but all your coworkers and most of the people you encounter in teh field won't take you seriously.

raventhorn

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2005, 04:02:23 PM »
It's for the parents.  Of course, I'm not going to refer to myself as "Dr. so-and-so" to my colleagues.

Besides, I will most likely use my job title on my business cards, ie. Patent Counsel or Patent Attorney.

Well, let's not jump ahead ourselves now.  I haven't even started law school yet.  :)

XYZZY

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2005, 10:17:39 PM »
sorry, but if you think a JD is equivalent to a doctorate, then that's just TTT

NYKnicks

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2005, 04:51:12 PM »
Some of you people are worse off than I thought for wanting to use the title "Dr." after getting a JD.

Alamss

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2005, 11:08:13 PM »
lol all my cousins are med or premed students and when we are together I am the total outcast, just sitting there listening to them talking about bio, and organic chemistry and the like, with true pleasure. I am really into world affairs, politics, and law, and they could just care less, they are just bio, bollywood, nihari, and Honda. Whereas I am, flying, sports, and politics.

lol I guess I have a genetic mutation or something that has pulled me away from the robotic desi mentality assembly line.

Trinitygunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's my baby picture?
    • MSN Messenger - kennfukuda@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trinitygunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2005, 11:26:50 PM »
sorry, but if you think a JD is equivalent to a doctorate, then that's just third tier toilet

Ok. nobody said JD is equivalent to a doctorate. but, titlewise, you are allowed to use that title.

Some of you people are worse off than I thought for wanting to use the title "Dr." after getting a JD.

hmm...i dunno if your asian...but you gotta remember, asian parents would demand it...
final product...pending approval: 94 pages

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 11:36:45 PM »
Except you'd be a tool and be totally disrepected by your peers.  Despite what you say your parents would expect, it's just not done.  I work in an office with over 100 attorneys, and NONE of them are called doctor unless they received a PhD in something before or after receiving their J.D.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2005, 11:41:56 PM »
Luckily, my parents were really low key for Asian parents, and I've never been pressured on my career choices.

I think there's more emphasis on becoming a doctor in the South Asian community than in the East Asian community, but there's still a lot of pressure to get some sort of advanced degree.  Or become ibankers.  At least that's the impression that I get.

Oh and yay Chicago!   :)

Well, you were waitlisted by Duke but got into all the others?