Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Racist flyers okayed by the school  (Read 2952 times)

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
Re: Cincinnati: Racist flyers okayed by the school
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 11:17:13 AM »
This is very disturbing. There was a good chance that I was going to attend UC in the fall. I hope this gets cleared up. I am white, but have no tolerance for this kind of blatant racism.

I graduated from UC and while there are some good points to the school there are some very visible race related area where improvement is needed....However being that you are white I'm sure that you would have a much different experience than I and other Black students who attend have.  Not to say that in a mean way, but it is the reality.  But if you are going to be one of the white people to actually speak up and do something about the problems and not just see them as not your problem then I say go for it.... :-\

this has no sarcastic overtones--i really don't know and dont feel like googling "KKK"--what is a KKK cross? and if it is different than a regular cross, is it really on display in Cincinnati during the holidays?

Ok let me explain this.....In downtown Cincinnati we have "Fountain Suare" and during the holidays they light the fountain with lights and they have all these activities and displays.  Groups have to get a permit to display something and there might be a fee(but I'm not sure of that part)  So for a long time the KKK would be one of the first if not the first group to get one of these permits and they would put up this big KKK cross and it would be in the middle of the city during the holidays....It would be all over the news and i the papers and there would be this whole free speech type thing....Like they can display it as long as they aren't threatning anyone....People would get arrested for knocking it over....Crazy!  I want to say they actually tried to walk in one of the parades......See we are right on the boarder of KY and its still really big there....Well needless to say it was a problem and now I think this church group just buys up all of the permits so they don't get the chance to display anything.  HTH
If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got!

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 11:21:33 AM »
in short .. it's a cross that was placed on black families (and white families that supported blacks) yards that was set on fire.. how have  u never heard of this may i ask?

this has no sarcastic overtones--i really don't know and dont feel like googling "KKK"--what is a KKK cross? and if it is different than a regular cross, is it really on display in Cincinnati during the holidays?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Ver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 11:29:30 AM »
I do not doubt for a second that my experience at UC would be totally different. Then again, the racism might not directly affect me, but it would make me sick to see flyers like that posted on my campus. Surely if I were to attend UC I would speak out against this kind of crap.

In reality though, I have no idea what it must have been like for you to go there.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 11:37:05 AM »
I knew someone was going to come in here saying freedom of speech..  i already said that that's exactly what the administration is hiding behind.. If the black community was to make  a statement anywhere near as harsh as the statement of the "National Alliance"... there would be a judiciary hearing and someone would probably be expelled..

Hate is a strong word you know... i seriously doubt that anyone is going to hate you on this board because you've voiced your opinion.. but here's my problem with what you're saying.. you don't know what kind of "movements" there are out there.... you don't know what black people are trying to do.. just because u don't see them on the news or in the newspapers doesn't mean that there isn't a movement.. do you know how many black people through the yrs have been and are being arrested just for trying to make a non-violent statement? and I'm not just referring to Dr. King either...

granted.. there are black folks that forget who they are in the struggle and move on into what they believe is a  colorless society ..therefore neglecting those that they can help.. however there are black people that are making it.. that are doing what they can to bring other blacks to the top as well..

blsd is a movement even.. people try to trash it because they don't understand or relate to the communal bond that we have here..

i know someone is going to hate me for saying this, but i think they have a right to say whatever they want...freedom of speech.  the problem that i have with this has little to do with the school's allowance of this behavior.  the problem i have with this is the silence i'm hearing from the black community about it.  

the silence i'm referring to is the lack of community, the lack of movement on larger scales that does not involve violence.

more importantly, what angers me the most about this is that NO ONE...not jesse freakin' jackson, NO ONE is really doing anything about this type of behavior in society today.

instead we have black people who are making it in society and forgetting about who we really are...& how some --not all--see us in this wonderful united states of america.

we have, instead of great leaders my parents were raised with, opportunist.  this behavior and recent 'acts' against me proves one thing:  we really need to stick together folks.

i've posted on this thread before and was rudely treated, but i wanted to say this in this forum because it is soooo important for us to realize this now as we embark on a different road in life.

it's easier to look the other way sometimes, but in the end, it's harder not to.  for generations after us, it makes it even more difficult.

for all those black folk out there--and you know who you are--who may feel slightly embarassed or not amused to discuss such topics, you'll find yourself one day realizing how important it was for you to do so. &, & you'll remember this post (hopefully).  things don't change overnight.  things don't change by themselves...just ask the kkk.

my parents raised me to believe that i'm an individual first and that i should act, not react.  years later they told me that other people will see me as a black person first & that these people will expect me to react. i didn't want to believe it, but i now know they are right.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

shiveringjenny

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 11:59:23 AM »
That's pretty outrageous.

The one time posters that hinted at racism were put up at the Institute, they were immediately taken down by someone. They were up for like 6 hours. No one ever said anything about them, though-- like there was no press, no formal Institute statement, nothing. If i hadn't seen them with my very own eyes, i wouldn't have believed they existed.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 03:33:13 PM »
there's a very thin line between "hate crime" and voicing your opinion (freedom of speech).  how does the signage hurt black people?  well, it tells everyone that the university condones the opinion of the group wishing to voice their opinion....okay, so may be you're right.  may be the university has actually taken on as a conspirator of a hate crime.  i'd like to see their #s.  they're a public university--we should all have access to them.

okay...so you believe that there are people out there helping black people in cincinnati huh?  there are people who succeed & don't forget about their peoples huh????

name one.  i'll give you a break...name a black group.

the only time Michael Jackson started screaming "racial discrimination" is when he was arrested--AFTER he colored his skin white and had too many nose jobs....

again, where is the justice?

I knew someone was going to come in here saying freedom of speech..  i already said that that's exactly what the administration is hiding behind.. If the black community was to make  a statement anywhere near as harsh as the statement of the "National Alliance"... there would be a judiciary hearing and someone would probably be expelled..

Hate is a strong word you know... i seriously doubt that anyone is going to hate you on this board because you've voiced your opinion.. but here's my problem with what you're saying.. you don't know what kind of "movements" there are out there.... you don't know what black people are trying to do.. just because u don't see them on the news or in the newspapers doesn't mean that there isn't a movement.. do you know how many black people through the yrs have been and are being arrested just for trying to make a non-violent statement? and I'm not just referring to Dr. King either...

granted.. there are black folks that forget who they are in the struggle and move on into what they believe is a  colorless society ..therefore neglecting those that they can help.. however there are black people that are making it.. that are doing what they can to bring other blacks to the top as well..

blsd is a movement even.. people try to trash it because they don't understand or relate to the communal bond that we have here..

i know someone is going to hate me for saying this, but i think they have a right to say whatever they want...freedom of speech.  the problem that i have with this has little to do with the school's allowance of this behavior.  the problem i have with this is the silence i'm hearing from the black community about it.  

the silence i'm referring to is the lack of community, the lack of movement on larger scales that does not involve violence.

more importantly, what angers me the most about this is that NO ONE...not jesse freakin' jackson, NO ONE is really doing anything about this type of behavior in society today.

instead we have black people who are making it in society and forgetting about who we really are...& how some --not all--see us in this wonderful united states of america.

we have, instead of great leaders my parents were raised with, opportunist.  this behavior and recent 'acts' against me proves one thing:  we really need to stick together folks.

i've posted on this thread before and was rudely treated, but i wanted to say this in this forum because it is soooo important for us to realize this now as we embark on a different road in life.

it's easier to look the other way sometimes, but in the end, it's harder not to.  for generations after us, it makes it even more difficult.

for all those black folk out there--and you know who you are--who may feel slightly embarassed or not amused to discuss such topics, you'll find yourself one day realizing how important it was for you to do so. &, & you'll remember this post (hopefully).  things don't change overnight.  things don't change by themselves...just ask the kkk.

my parents raised me to believe that i'm an individual first and that i should act, not react.  years later they told me that other people will see me as a black person first & that these people will expect me to react. i didn't want to believe it, but i now know they are right.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 03:39:47 PM »
julie agree flyer reprehensible, but also must say that speech should be free.  however, flyers one thing and running in newspaper another:  newspaper not obligated to run it as advertisement--there no obligation to spread their message for them.

julie constantly amazed by how some people hold onto racist beliefs.  they sad little creatures indeed.

faith2005

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 04:00:52 PM »
i agree with julie, the newspaper didn't have to run the stuff. they should be boycotted, chastised, and you should send in letters to the editor etc. i might find the newspaper website and send one in myself.

the fliers are protected under free speech, and they don't mean anything by themselves, but if the group is a university organization, then the students should take action against them and try to get them removed from the university roster. anyone (with/without an organization) could have a flier, i've seen fliers about how black people at my undergrad shouldn't have gotten in, and one conservative group even put out a flier about selling "minority cookies" to symbolize their perception of token admits. we were like, ok, you do that, and we got ready to be out there at the same time to challenge them, they didn't show up for their "event."

perversely--i am not sure i understand your response. you don't think there are any organizations that are predominately black/people of color who are working against racism? off the top of my head 4 of the orgs. i admire are (granted many are related to criminal justice, but this is a law school thread :)

applied research center
www.arc.org

malcolm x grassroots movement
http://www.mxgm.org/

the ella baker center
http://www.ellabakercenter.org/index.html

naacp ldf
http://www.naacpldf.org/

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 04:28:15 PM »
words of wisdom.. don't ever ask me to support my claim..i'll always prove my point.. ;D

The National Association  of Black Citizens  Action

Is a human / civil rights / media / watch-dog group made up of (Grass-roots) people who are committed toward the betterment of African Americans and poor people through education, political and social change by providing the masses with information to enlighten them. To seek justice through the sharing of information, the grassroots organizing of citizens action groups , the dissemination of information through local and national media, the establishment of our own media outlets.

The Coalition of Concerned Citizens For Justice: 
The Coalition of Concerned Citizens For Justice (CCCFJ) was formed in 1997 by Sister Victoria Straughn to confront issues between the Cincinnati Police Division and the black community

okay...so you believe that there are people out there helping black people in cincinnati huh?  there are people who succeed & don't forget about their peoples huh????

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 10:57:08 AM »

OK I don't really know you but from your profile I can see that you're not in Cincinnati.  But the tone in your statement was very offensive and maybe I'm reading into wrong....correct me if I am...But there are a lot of groups in Cincinnati that are helping Black people in many different ways and in many forms.  For you to say name a person and then say name a group its like saying that this help does not exist and you are wrong as hell....Personally I can name myself and many other people that are fighting to help Black people here.  There are also a number of young Black members on our city council who are fighting for Black people here.  And to give a couple of the groups that are doing things there's the Urban League of Greater Cincinnati, The Coalition of Concerned Citizens For Justice, and The Black United Front....that's just to name a few.  If you want to know more you can PM me or research some for yourself. I will say that we have a lot of issues that are going on here and we have a long way to go but there are Black people who ar not just sitting on their ass bitchin and complaining but are actually out there working.

If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got!