Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Racist flyers okayed by the school  (Read 2924 times)

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Cincinnati: Racist flyers okayed by the school
« on: April 19, 2005, 12:17:29 AM »
Anyone there know anything about this?

RACIST FLYERS TARGET BLACK STUDENTS AT UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI

Campus administration reportedly does nothing about it

Cincinnati, OH (BlackNews.com) - Recently, at the University of
Cincinnati, a group of white students referred to as the National Alliance
posted flyers on campus that target African-American students.

The flyers read "Don't Have Sex With Blacks - Avoid AIDS". The flyer
was seen all over campus, and was even featured in the school newspaper
as an advertisement.

Erika Guice, a Black student at the University, comments, "I saw the
flyer and not only were we embarrassed, but we were devastated at why
would our school would allow this to be posted in the newspaper."

"We feel that our school, whom we pay a high tuition to every quarter,
does not appreciate the Black students who attend this University,"
Guice continues.

National Alliance is an on-campus group of white students that attend
the University of Cincinnati, and are known for their racist teacings
and messages.

Black students at the University say that campus administration is well
aware of the group, and does nothing about them. In fact, one white
staff member said that "everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and can
post their messages freely on campus."

This is not the first for the city of Cincinnati, which has had a
terrible record of police brutality against Blacks.

"We need change," comments Guice. "Change has to
come from somewhere and I believe that if one person can't
stand for what they believe in, then no one ever will."

For more info about this situation, contact Erika Guice at
guiceem@email.uc.edu or 513-556-7459 or 513-551-6469. Erika is
organizing a group of Black students to take a stand.

HBCU.EDU

Re: Cincinnati: Racist flyers okayed by the school
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 12:56:21 AM »
I like the racist flyer. The black students need to go to an HBCU. We didn't have to worry about stuff like that at Morehouse.  ::)

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 08:59:13 AM »
 >:(  See this is what I'm talking about.  People just don't understand the ish that is going on in this city.  What's ironic is that this has been going on for years with the KKK cross display around the holiday season and other outright racist things that are ok'd in the name of free speech.  It's only getting the attention it is right now b/c UC is a big money factor in the city and there's a big seperation of the city and the school.  But nothing will be done about it on campus...it'll just be a forum and then it wil go away when the next event pops up and it'll be like it never hapened.  Sad but true!  :(
If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got!

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 09:59:01 AM »
Good to see that racism is a thing of the past.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 10:19:46 AM »
You know that's really disgusting.. and the fact that the university approved the editorial before it was printed speaks volumes....it's obvious that "National Alliance" was created to combat th "Black Student Alliance" on the campus... that alone should have raised an issue with the University in my honest opinion...

what makes the situation even worse is people are always ready to cry "free speech" without caring about the outcome....they should collectively file a suit for emotional distresss...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 10:27:08 AM »
You know that's really disgusting.. and the fact that the university approved the editorial before it was printed speaks volumes....it's obvious that "National Alliance" was created to combat th "Black Student Alliance" on the campus... that alone should have raised an issue with the University in my honest opinion...

what makes the situation even worse is people are always ready to cry "free speech" without caring about the outcome....they should collectively file a suit for emotional distresss...

It sounds good but this is at UC and if you only knew the type of racism that floats through some of the departments you would know that nothing is going to happen.  It's the Power heads that make the final call and we don't have anyone near the top.  I would have to PM you some of the ish I went through to get my degree out of one of the most backward ass departments.  Then my 2nd degree which I got for my sanity (AFAM Studies) that department is looking like its being fazed out or as they say it joining into Global studies....Bull Ish
If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got!

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 10:37:41 AM »
i know someone is going to hate me for saying this, but i think they have a right to say whatever they want...freedom of speech.  the problem that i have with this has little to do with the school's allowance of this behavior.  the problem i have with this is the silence i'm hearing from the black community about it.  

the silence i'm referring to is the lack of community, the lack of movement on larger scales that does not involve violence.

more importantly, what angers me the most about this is that NO ONE...not jesse freakin' jackson, NO ONE is really doing anything about this type of behavior in society today.

instead we have black people who are making it in society and forgetting about who we really are...& how some --not all--see us in this wonderful united states of america.

we have, instead of great leaders my parents were raised with, opportunist.  this behavior and recent 'acts' against me proves one thing:  we really need to stick together folks.

i've posted on this thread before and was rudely treated, but i wanted to say this in this forum because it is soooo important for us to realize this now as we embark on a different road in life.

it's easier to look the other way sometimes, but in the end, it's harder not to.  for generations after us, it makes it even more difficult.

for all those black folk out there--and you know who you are--who may feel slightly embarassed or not amused to discuss such topics, you'll find yourself one day realizing how important it was for you to do so. &, & you'll remember this post (hopefully).  things don't change overnight.  things don't change by themselves...just ask the kkk.

my parents raised me to believe that i'm an individual first and that i should act, not react.  years later they told me that other people will see me as a black person first & that these people will expect me to react. i didn't want to believe it, but i now know they are right.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »
i know someone is going to hate me for saying this, but i think they have a right to say whatever they want...freedom of speech.  the problem that i have with this has little to do with the school's allowance of this behavior.  the problem i have with this is the silence i'm hearing from the black community about it.  

the silence i'm referring to is the lack of community, the lack of movement on larger scales that does not involve violence.

more importantly, what angers me the most about this is that NO ONE...not jesse freakin' jackson, NO ONE is really doing anything about this type of behavior in society today.

instead we have black people who are making it in society and forgetting about who we really are...& how some --not all--see us in this wonderful united states of america.

we have, instead of great leaders my parents were raised with, opportunist.  this behavior and recent 'acts' against me proves one thing:  we really need to stick together folks.

i've posted on this thread before and was rudely treated, but i wanted to say this in this forum because it is soooo important for us to realize this now as we embark on a different road in life.

it's easier to look the other way sometimes, but in the end, it's harder not to.  for generations after us, it makes it even more difficult.

for all those black folk out there--and you know who you are--who may feel slightly embarassed or not amused to discuss such topics, you'll find yourself one day realizing how important it was for you to do so. &, & you'll remember this post (hopefully).  things don't change overnight.  things don't change by themselves...just ask the kkk.

my parents raised me to believe that i'm an individual first and that i should act, not react.  years later they told me that other people will see me as a black person first & that these people will expect me to react. i didn't want to believe it, but i now know they are right.

I actually carry your same sentiments, minus the school condoning this behavior. The school should not be sponsoring and allowing school facilities to be used by a group that condones hate speech. The same thing happened at my UG, and the school said, OK, freedom of speech, but we will not give your group money, you cannot use the campus to have meetings on, you cannot use the school's facilities and resources to print hate speech.

But on everything else you said I agree.

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 10:58:28 AM »

I agree somewhat with you....But the things is this....The school newspaper is student ran and there is a lot of garbage in it ona regular basis. If it doesn't involve money then there will be nothing done as far as administration is concerned.  As far as the community goes I personally haven't heard anything about this and I still get a lot of school mail in my inbox from time to time and maybe that's the problem.  UC is very good at keeping their dirt out of the lime light.  Like I said in my earlier post the city and the campus are very divided and it's almost like another city once you're there.  Now the Black students on campus are probably the best tools for action b/c if all of them were to go somewhere else the school would loose crazy money and then there would be change.....

Ver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 11:03:59 AM »
This is very disturbing. There was a good chance that I was going to attend UC in the fall. I hope this gets cleared up. I am white, but have no tolerance for this kind of blatant racism.