Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn vs. Cornell  (Read 1724 times)

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
Penn vs. Cornell
« on: April 19, 2005, 12:06:25 AM »
Leave it to the universe to throw me a curve ball right when I thought that I finally had a decision made.

Not that I'm complaining.

Cornell Law is offering me $14,400 annually (almost 1/3 off total tuition). This came completely out of left field.  It's absolutely incongruous with aid offers from other T20 schools (read:  $0 from Penn, $0 from USC, $0 from GWU, etc.). They must really hate Penn. It's the only explanation.   :)

I don't know what to do anymore.  I am 100% sure that I would be happier in Philadelphia.  What I don't know is if I would be $43,200 worth of happier.   

Oh, and as an FYI, if you haven't gotten your finaid package from Cornell yet, it clearly doesn't mean that you didn't get anything (as I had previously surmised). :)

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Penn vs. Cornell
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 12:36:02 AM »
first off, you have some wonderful choices there and you will be fine either way.

$43k is a lot of money regardless, but three years of happiness will lead to better performace and better job opportunities, and knowing for sure (100%) that you would be happier at UPenn/Philly says a lot. If you were sort of up in the air as to how you felt about the school/area, I think the money would carry a lot more weight.

Now, being on both UPenn's and Cornell's waitlist, as long as you can't go to both simultaneously...I'm ok with your decision.

RocketBot

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 12:46:26 AM »
Penn in a heartbeat.

LawBoundGlory

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 01:08:09 AM »
Penn in a heartbeat.

Second that...Penn.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 03:29:04 AM »
uh, you should call penn and tell them about your cornell scholarship. tell them you prefer penn but financial considerations make cornell your first choice right now.

they will give you some money, at least. they might match
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

brotha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 08:18:52 AM »
UPenn is the best choice by far.  Think of all the opportunities in Philly v. Ithaca.  No brainer. 

The Truth

• Sr. Citizen
  • Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 09:32:33 AM »
I agree with appealing for more money. It never hurts to ask and gives you the most information to make your decision.

Maybe I'll see you at Penn as I am about 90-95% sure that's where I'll be given my own recent developments and the fact that I like the school very much (went numerous times). I still have like 5-10% saying go to NYU for the more money, but once Penn offered more and I looked at cost of attendance, the cost difference is minimal and probably even on Penn's side given when I visited NYU and Columbia and went out, the club was expensive, the drinks were expensive, the dang diner breakfast was expensive and NYU's student budget is unrealistically low.

And Cornell is funny. They sent me an acceptance like last week and then wanted me to get back with them this week! :)

Good luck in your decision.

uh, you should call penn and tell them about your cornell scholarship. tell them you prefer penn but financial considerations make cornell your first choice right now.

they will give you some money, at least. they might match
The One, The Only, The Truth...
Attending: PENN$$$
W/D after Acc.(had next, LOL): NYU$$$,CLS$,CHI$$,GTown$$$,Duke$$,TX$$,NU(loans),Cornell?
WL'ed & then W/D: HLS(after hold), SLS
Rej: NONE
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing but The Truth
Don't Hate Me, Because You Ain't Me (J/K, LOL)

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 09:52:24 AM »
This is a lot of money and I would choose Cornell.  These are similar schools and financial aid should be a tie breaker. 

Does Cornell describe the aid as merit based or need based? 

ToughDecision05

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 10:04:25 AM »
This is a lot of money and I would choose Cornell.  These are similar schools and financial aid should be a tie breaker. 

Does Cornell describe the aid as merit based or need based? 

Hi I'm new to LSD, but I also was accepted to both and I'm in similar situations financially.  I am going to PENN though for a number a reasons:

1.) better location
2.) better legal reputation
3.) better job market/ more opportunities in NYC/Philly/DC and Northeast

I might try to negotiate for money as well, but still I have talked to a few professors at my university as well as a few while visiting, and PENN just felt much superior.  Anyways, who would want to spend three years in Ithaca?!?

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 07:22:02 PM »
Thanks for your input, everyone.  In response to a few things:

--I would be happier at Penn, but it's not like they'll have to put me in a straight-jacket to get me to Ithaca.  In fact, it'll probably be an improvement over my undergraduate environment (women's college in the middle of nowhere).   :)

--Penn has already refused to review my aid application once.  I'm gonna give it another go, but based on stories from the 1L's at admitted students weekend, I won't hold my breath.

--The award letter is really vague about whether the offer is need or merit.  It just says "scholarship."  I can't imagine that it's merit with a 167/3.5, but I haven't gotten need-based anywhere else, either.  Who knows?  And at this point, I don't really care.

So, with the knowledge that I don't have a burning desire to do biglaw for the rest of my life, are the options available to me as a Penn law JD worth the extra $43,200?  The information I have suggests that the options from Penn are slightly better (especially for biglaw).  But things don't look *so* bad from the Cornell side... it just seems to me (and always has) that the differences between the two are greatly exaggerated.  That, and as the child of a parent who's currently suffocating under debt taken on in better times, walking about from $43,200 is really tough.  Not inconceivable.  But gut-wrenching.

For now I'm going to live in La La Land and hope that Penn will make it easy and match the money.  :)

Thanks again for your input, everyone.