Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone deciding between Cardozo and Brooklyn?  (Read 1385 times)

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone deciding between Cardozo and Brooklyn?
« on: April 18, 2005, 04:20:42 PM »
Unless I get into any of my reach schools it looks like it's down to these two for me.  Both schools have given me a deposit deadline of this Friday.  I'll be visiting both this week and I'm starting to get a bit stressed about the decision.   :o

Cardozo has a higher annual cost than Brooklyn ($58k vs. $50k), but their budget seems to reflect a more realistic room & board allowance than Brooklyn's.  I've been awarded slightly more merit $ at Brooklyn but I haven't received a financial aid award from either so I don't know if I'll be getting any need-based $ to help sway me.

Brooklyn's clinics and study abroad offerings make it a touch more appealing, but I am also drawn to Cardozo's strength in IP and ADR. I suppose it will come down to $ and the overall vibe I get when visiting since both schools seem to have the roughly equal employment stats and rep.

Is anyone else deciding between these two?  If so, what are your thoughts so far and what will help you decide?

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone deciding between Cardozo and Brooklyn?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 07:28:21 PM »
I am in these two places as well and I visited them last week.  Please PM me if you have any questions. 

Unless I get into any of my reach schools it looks like it's down to these two for me.  Both schools have given me a deposit deadline of this Friday.  I'll be visiting both this week and I'm starting to get a bit stressed about the decision.   :o

Cardozo has a higher annual cost than Brooklyn ($58k vs. $50k), but their budget seems to reflect a more realistic room & board allowance than Brooklyn's.  I've been awarded slightly more merit $ at Brooklyn but I haven't received a financial aid award from either so I don't know if I'll be getting any need-based $ to help sway me.

Brooklyn's clinics and study abroad offerings make it a touch more appealing, but I am also drawn to Cardozo's strength in IP and ADR. I suppose it will come down to $ and the overall vibe I get when visiting since both schools seem to have the roughly equal employment stats and rep.

Is anyone else deciding between these two?  If so, what are your thoughts so far and what will help you decide?

yrbadluck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:36:27 PM »
I was in the same situation last week. 
After I went to the Cardozo admitted students weekend it made my decision alot more difficult.  Everyone was really nice (staff and faculty) and the programs seemed great but something was missing and it wasnt just the facilities.  It came down to finding a place where I would really be invested in going; that for me was at Brooklyn.  (and this is all for me specifically) but Cardozo wasnt very diverse and seemed to lack something, it was also a little bit conservative.  I needed the social and political atmosphere of Brooklyn so despite the fact that Cardozo gave me almost twice as much scholarship money I chose Brooklyn.  (I may regret that later when I am paying off my bills but I am almost certain that I would enjoy my 3 years at Brooklyn more than Cardozo).  But that is just my .02
good luck with your decision.  If your deciding between the two I feel certain that neither is the "wrong" decision because they are both really good schools and I doubt that there would be much difference in job placement and opportunities later on despite what the Cardozo fanatics on this board would say.
In: brooklyn$, cardozo$$, depaul$, temple, usf$$, goldengate$$, tjsl$$, southwestern
out (donations): ucla, nyu
waiting: loyola +2

lawsterino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 04:41:17 PM »
When did you receive your merit award from Cardozo?

yrbadluck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 06:12:01 PM »
2 weeks after being admitted.  just call rob schwartz hes really nice.  he'll let you know if your getting anything.
In: brooklyn$, cardozo$$, depaul$, temple, usf$$, goldengate$$, tjsl$$, southwestern

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 06:21:33 PM »
I was in the same situation last week. 
After I went to the Cardozo admitted students weekend it made my decision alot more difficult.  Everyone was really nice (staff and faculty) and the programs seemed great but something was missing and it wasnt just the facilities.  It came down to finding a place where I would really be invested in going; that for me was at Brooklyn.  (and this is all for me specifically) but Cardozo wasnt very diverse and seemed to lack something, it was also a little bit conservative.  I needed the social and political atmosphere of Brooklyn so despite the fact that Cardozo gave me almost twice as much scholarship money I chose Brooklyn.  (I may regret that later when I am paying off my bills but I am almost certain that I would enjoy my 3 years at Brooklyn more than Cardozo).  But that is just my .02
good luck with your decision.  If your deciding between the two I feel certain that neither is the "wrong" decision because they are both really good schools and I doubt that there would be much difference in job placement and opportunities later on despite what the Cardozo fanatics on this board would say.

I agree that BLS and Cardozo are pretty much equal. 

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 09:52:43 PM »
lawsterino:
I received my scholarship award letter in the same package as my acceptance letter (both dated 4/7).

yrbadluck:
What do you mean when you say that C lacked diversity and that something was missing?  I'm not trying to grill you, I am just genuinely interested in hearing various perspectives.

katinaishot

• MSN Messenger - kmetzidakis@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katinametz
    • View Profile
    • Cardozo Law blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 02:08:49 AM »
Cardozo has a stronger student body...higher LSATs and higher GPAs...unless Brooklyn gives you tons of $$$ (not just like 10,000 a year) I would go to Cardozo...In fact, I got into both and am going to Cardozo starting in May...Good luck with decisions!!!! :-*
Im starting as a 1L at Cardozo Law school...If any of you are current, future, potential, ex, whatever Cardozo Students please check out my blog...all info, questions, comments, concerns are welcome!!!

http://newyorkcitystudents.blogs.friendster.com/cardozolawstudents/

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

yrbadluck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 05:50:31 AM »
well Cardozo definetly lacked racial diversity.  coming from a school with one of the most diverse student bodies this means alot to me. the other thing i just couldnt pin point.  dont get me wrong its a great school and great faculty and the money is definetly enticing but i want to go to a place less conservative. and like i said before i dont think either is a bad decision. 

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 10:59:13 AM »
I agree with michaelduke, it is really new and with a shallow network. However, I wouldn't say that it isn't diverse, but then I only had a two-day visit there so maybe their presentation was skewed.