Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working in Law school-- ???  (Read 1670 times)

mrsdclare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • View Profile
    • Email
Working in Law school-- ???
« on: April 18, 2005, 02:48:11 PM »
So I know the ABA regulations say that we can not work over 20 hours while in law school.  I know that not working at all would be best case scenario however I am on a tight budget.  I was planning on working 2 shifts a week once I got a couple monthes of law school under my belt.  I work as a server and would love to continue to have the social aspect.  What do you think?  It would be about 12 hours a week.   
Pending:  UC Hastings, USF, McGeorge, UC Davis, Santa Clara

Trinitygunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's my baby picture?
    • MSN Messenger - kennfukuda@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trinitygunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Working in Law school-- ???
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »
So I know the ABA regulations say that we can not work over 20 hours while in law school.  I know that not working at all would be best case scenario however I am on a tight budget.  I was planning on working 2 shifts a week once I got a couple monthes of law school under my belt.  I work as a server and would love to continue to have the social aspect.  What do you think?  It would be about 12 hours a week.   

I've been told it's really really difficult your 1L year, because of the extra demands it places on your time. however, i'm thinking of the same thing...perhaps slinging booze on a saturday night when i'd be out anyways.
final product...pending approval: 94 pages

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 05:26:06 PM »
For the first time in my life, I will be attending school and NOT WORKING!

I am thrilled about it, but a little terrified!

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 07:20:40 PM »

You should not be working, at least not for your first term. 

mrsdclare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 03:29:10 AM »
What if it was just one shift a week...  it would be like 6 hours?? Is anyone else planning on working??  I have rent to pay ;)
Pending:  UC Hastings, USF, McGeorge, UC Davis, Santa Clara

laestrella

• MSN Messenger - laestrella26@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - laestrella26
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 07:57:13 AM »
This is the first time that I won't be working since High School and I'm nervous as well.  But I think that for those of you who are still unsure of what to do, Law School will ultimately MAKE that decision for you. 
Attending: GW

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 08:08:49 AM »
For the first time in my life, I will be attending school and NOT WORKING!

I am thrilled about it, but a little terrified!

Ditto!  I've never not worked.  I had a job in high school, two during the time I was not in school, and worked through my undergrad and grad school.  I've watched so many people (including my roommate) coast by without working.  I am soooo looking forward to doing ONLY ONE THING: law school.  Yeah, the money will be tight, I'm kinda (ok, really!) nervous about it, and i'll likely have to bump up the credit limit on my cards...But it'll be worth it!  That I know!

No offense to the OP, but he either hasn't been a server for too long or he's nuts! :)  No, seriously, the day I never have to take a food order again....well, that's gonna be a glorious day!  ;D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 09:03:22 AM »
I have rent to pay ;)

Two words for you:  student loans

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 09:11:01 AM »
Yeah, I can't wait to not work.  I have had a job since i was 14 and it WILL be great concentraiting on ONE thing.  My soon to be wife will have to help support me, hahaha.  I will return the favor later, maybe.

NoVa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 10:23:52 AM »
If you do need to work, it can be done.  I would only do it if there was a real NEED, though.

Think about patt-timers.  Many of them work 40 hours a week and take 10-11 credits as opposed to about 15 credits for full-time students.
3.32, 160
4 years experience as a patent examiner
Attending: American
Accept: UMD, Catholic
WL: GMU
Reject:GULC, GWU