Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Tulane the most loved Law School On here??  (Read 9911 times)

Aaron37

• View Profile
Re: Is Tulane the most loved Law School On here??
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 07:16:34 PM »
well, that's just like your opinion man

I have sent in my deposit and would love to be on your e-mail list. I just sent you a private message. Any other New Orleanians on this board going to Tulane?
Attending: Tulane

SaintsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 07:41:49 PM »
Any other New Orleanians on this board going to Tulane?

It's one of the top schools I'm considering right now. I'm trying to wait until I hear from Emory (they said the decision would most likely be made by today), and then I'll make my final decision. It looks like it's gonna come down to Tulane, WUSTL, and possibly Emory.
lawschoolnumbers.com - SaintsFan

IN - WUSTL (15k), GMU, Wake Forest (3/4 off tuition), Tulane (15k), Lewis & Clark, Temple, Minnesota, Notre Dame (15.5k)
WL - Fordham, W&M, Illinois, Emory
OUT - GULC, GW

Aaron12900

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 09:29:10 PM »
For all the people who just wrote about how overrated Tulane is I beg to differ one of the reasons it is so liked on this site is that it is under rated- no other school in its "ranking" places nearly as national as Tulane... you can check their placements if you don't believe me.
159/168
accepted:Tulane$$(top choice), Emory,syracuse$$, BU
Rejected: UVA, Cornell, BC
Waitlisted:W&M, UF (WTF!!)
Pending: a whole bunch of slow-ass schools!

JCHeff1979

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 10:18:49 PM »
I like it beacause not only is it a good school that places well, but it has a ton of intangibles that make it very appealing. Its in a great city, the alums love it, and the cost of living is dirt cheapn  (compared to Los Angele, where I live now). I also think the kind of people who think "hey, it might be a blast to live in New Orleans for three (or more) years, are my kinda people. Seems like there are more cool people and less nebbishers around the Tulane posts. And I like that.

Let the haters hate,
Shine on you crazy diamond
163 3.4
Attending: TULANE

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 06:52:33 AM »
I second that emotion....As for New Orleanians--I have lived there for a little bit before, have a lot of family there and come from a long line of Blue Jays, but my family transplanted to DC...
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

katinaishot

• MSN Messenger - kmetzidakis@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katinametz
    • View Profile
    • Cardozo Law blog
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 02:44:45 AM »
I agree that Tulane people are really psyched about it...and that's great...however, I get the eerie feeling that people go their looking for this cushy cute collegy experience...I, for one, am not going to Tulane though I was accepted because A) it's in the South and for as cool as the school might be something tells me it's crawling with conservatives and B)i went to wash u and felt that i lived in a bubble...tulane seems very similar... C)ive spoken to tons of people that go there and they always describe it as "relaxed" "fun"  a place where you can have fun and party...unfortunately, to me that translates into Tulane being an easier and less competitive place...which is bad especially considering it's located in New Orleans , far away from the big cities where legal jobs are difficult to get...Please dont think that I am bashing this school because I was SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY considering going there for a long time...I do however think that it's impt that people logging into this site not get a totally one-sided view about any school...I am ecstatic about NOT going to Tulane...and something tells me Im not the only one! :-*
Im starting as a 1L at Cardozo Law school...If any of you are current, future, potential, ex, whatever Cardozo Students please check out my blog...all info, questions, comments, concerns are welcome!!!

http://newyorkcitystudents.blogs.friendster.com/cardozolawstudents/

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

nmathe01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 10:27:51 AM »
Thanks for your input, best of luck wherever you are going. 

Its true that Tulane does seem more "fun" than most other places, but come on, your going to be at law school for THREE years. I am the kind of person that could stand a pressure cooker environment for three years, but would rather not put myslef in that situation voluntarily.  If I can get a solid education, be around good people, and actually enjoy studying the law for a while, than bring it on.

BTW - Every school I turned down for Tulane had pro's and con's, I would not say that I am "ecstatic" about NOT going to any of them.

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 10:28:36 AM »
There is a reason why there are so many different law school with different dynamics and different enviroments. Everyone is different and people are looking for different things out of law school. To me, "less competitive" is a good thing. Something I really want in a law school, along with "relaxed" and "fun." Not because I plan to slack off and party all the time but because I see no reason to be miserable for three years. I don't like highly competitive enviroments or constantly serious surroundings. To me, life is too short to torture myself for three years in the prime of my life. And the fact that Tulane is "far away from the big cities where legal jobs are difficult to get" is also fine with me. I don't want to be in the "big city" or care about BigLaw (though if you look at the stats, I think you will find Tulane places very well in NYC, the mother of "big cities".)
This is not to say that your point of view on the school is wrong by any means. I am just saying that everyone is looking to get something different out of their law school experience. From the sound of it, Tulane is NOT the place for you. But the people who are on here touting this school are doing so because they know all the things you just said about it and they see those things as GOOD not bad.  :-*
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

SaintsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 11:03:47 AM »
A) it's in the South and for as cool as the school might be something tells me it's crawling with conservatives

I'm not sure what gave you that impression, but it's not true. You should've seen Tulane & Loyola right before the war. The city itself is pretty politically mixed, except in the suburbs, which you'll never go to anyway. I'll put it this way - I'm uber-liberal, and I've had a fantastic time living here for the past 10 years.

B)i went to wash u and felt that i lived in a bubble...tulane seems very similar...

I think that depends mostly on the person. I felt like that in San Francisco, but never have here. Other people I know feel like that here, but adore S.F.

C)ive spoken to tons of people that go there and they always describe it as "relaxed" "fun"  a place where you can have fun and party...unfortunately, to me that translates into Tulane being an easier and less competitive place...which is bad especially considering it's located in New Orleans , far away from the big cities where legal jobs are difficult to get...

This part we agree on. It can be hard for people to adjust to New Orleans, especially if they like to party. If you don't have that under control when you get here, you'll be in trouble. Does that translate into poor job placement, though? Their employment stats look pretty decent and they place very well in NYC (if you can stand a few years of New York...blech). I haven't looked into their job placement as much as they other schools I'm considering since they're already in the city I'd really like to work in, but I've heard anecdotes and seen stats indicating they do pretty well in New England and Texas.
lawschoolnumbers.com - SaintsFan

IN - WUSTL (15k), GMU, Wake Forest (3/4 off tuition), Tulane (15k), Lewis & Clark, Temple, Minnesota, Notre Dame (15.5k)
WL - Fordham, W&M, Illinois, Emory
OUT - GULC, GW

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »
you're uber liberal...and you openly admit it?

"Que ve esta noviembre?"