Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's it like in the North?  (Read 29799 times)

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What's it like in the North?
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2005, 09:36:22 AM »
Every apartment is going to have heat. If they say heat included it probably means they have gas and its paid for. Heating during winter is quite expensive. Gas can run you $100 for a 2bdrm. Get electric heat or utilities included if possible. I personaly hate radiators.

So gas is more expensive than electric? How can this be? My whole paradigm of how the world works is collapsing...

Do radiators even work? Do you have to do anything to them to make them work?

I did live in Europe for a bit (London), and I had to use a radiator heater.  That thing heated up very nicely.  The heat doesn't adjust very quickly, however.  You turn it up because you are cold, and it takes a while to heat up.  Then, it's hotter than the tropics, so you turn it down.  Of course, it takes forever to cool down.  You have to find where you like it, and leave it alone!

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2005, 09:37:37 AM »
Have I got this about right?

1. You've never been to the north.

2. You're top choices are/include FP and Syracuse.

Therefore,

3. You are going to turn into an icicle.  Only Minnesota and the Dakotas get as cold as NH, and Syracuse is no better.

4. You'll see how much prettier (nature/scenery) the north is.

5. You'll feel embarassed for worrying about sweet tea, though you won't miss it once you learned to drink hot cocoa/coffee/tea (those are three different items).

ASNetlenov

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2005, 09:54:31 AM »

How can you call the north pretty? The sun goes away in NH from Oct through May.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2005, 09:59:10 AM »
NH is beauuuuuutiful

but i couldn't live there
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2005, 10:00:02 AM »

Therefore,

3. You are going to turn into an icicle.  Only Minnesota and the Dakotas get as cold as NH, and Syracuse is no better.

5. You'll feel embarassed for worrying about sweet tea, though you won't miss it once you learned to drink hot cocoa/coffee/tea (those are three different items).

Almost. I have been to the North, but never lived there. My top choice is Pierce. I think someone else is considering Syracuse. I don't doubt it's pretty, I'm just not sure I'll be able to tell with all of the snow piled on top of everything.

I don't like sweet tea. Iced tea with no sugar or lemon, yes. I can make my own...it's no big deal. Even an ignorant Southerner such as myself has experienced coffee, cocoa, and tea. Further I realize they are indeed separate beverages. Perhaps the biggest adaptation to the North will be learning to deal with the ever-condescending attitudes...

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2005, 10:03:20 AM »

How can you call the north pretty? The sun goes away in NH from Oct through May.

Well, if it wasn't obvious . . .

(Sun--->Pretty) is not a valid conditional to me.  Nor to most people, for that matter.  Also, there is a lot of sun in NH from Oct to May.  Only by living in Pittsburgh, can one grasp the meaning of "overcast."  

The only place in the south, to me, that can rival the natural beauty of NH would be eastern Tennessee/western NC, but not really.

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2005, 10:05:07 AM »

Therefore,

Almost. I have been to the North, but never lived there. My top choice is Pierce. I think someone else is considering Syracuse. I don't doubt it's pretty, I'm just not sure I'll be able to tell with all of the snow piled on top of everything.

I don't like sweet tea. Iced tea with no sugar or lemon, yes. I can make my own...it's no big deal. Even an ignorant Southerner such as myself has experienced coffee, cocoa, and tea. Further I realize they are indeed separate beverages. Perhaps the biggest adaptation to the North will be learning to deal with the ever-condescending attitudes...

Silly ass! I was summarizing the OP's concerns.  Way to recognize the thread!  ::) (Doing my best to live up to the expectations of condescension. By the way, NH isn't condescending in my experience; it is suspicious, though.)

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2005, 10:07:07 AM »
i'm confused by this tea thing....my mom has been drinking UNsweetened iced tea for her whole life...most of it spent in RI.....are you saying the north doesn't have unsweetened tea or it just tastes bad? 
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2005, 10:07:30 AM »
Silly ass! I was summarizing the OP's concerns.  Way to recognize the thread!  ::) (Doing my best to live up to the expectations of condescension. By the way, NH isn't condescending in my experience; it is suspicious, though.)

Keep up the good work. You're truly a goodwill ambassador for the North.

I'm glad to know NH has a different attitude...why do you think they're suspicious, though? Is it the whole "Live Free or Die" thing or is it just that they're tiny?

ASNetlenov

« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2005, 10:11:33 AM »
NH is beauuuuuutiful

but i couldn't live there
For that two month period when the sun shines during the summer. But yes, it can be pretty up there (September).