Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Scholarship $$$$ overrated when picking a Law School?  (Read 1207 times)

Precise

• View Profile
Is Scholarship $$$$ overrated when picking a Law School?
« on: April 17, 2005, 09:28:12 PM »
When I was choosing which schools to apply to, I decided to apply to schools where I felt I would get a merit scholarship. $$$$$ was a big concern of mine and I decided that there was no way that I'd go to a school which didnt offer me  some sort of scholarship.

However, I now believe it was a mistake to use this strategy. Some of these scholarships are generous on the surface, but are difficult to maintain.

For example, Whittier offered me a 20k scholarship, but I would need to stay in the top 20 percent or I'd lose it all. Based on their attrition rate, I'm more likely to not make it pass the first year than I am to keep that scholarship. Although I am grateful for the offers I've recieved from my schools, I'd caution people to be careful about choosing a school based primarily on scholarship $$$.

violet5

• View Profile
Re: Is Scholarship $$$$ overrated when picking a Law School?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 09:32:50 PM »
I wouldn't choose a school based solely on scholarship money. Of course, in order to be able to attend an expensive private school, $$ is a necessary factor.
2.93/159

ATTENDING: PITT!
Accepted: Toledo, Cleveland Marshall (4K/yr.-withdrawn), Seton Hall, Rutgers-Newark, Buffalo, Pitt, U Pacific
Rejected: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Temple, St.Johns
Waitlisted: Chicago-Kent, DePaul, Loyola Chicago, IU-Indy, Catholic, Case (all withdrawn)

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 09:46:35 PM »
i am going to loyola this fall, and i was given a scholarship that had a minimum gpa that needed to be maintained. i asked the dean about this minimum and he said of the 15 or so students that are given this scholarship every year he could only think of one person in last couple of years that did not end up renewing the scholarship for thier tenure at loyola.

he also said that about 80% of the students given the scholarship ended up on law review and/or moot court...

of course every school is different, as our the requirements to maintain a scholarship...

hth

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 03:56:21 AM »
My scholarship at Miami also had a pretty steep minimum GPA requirement that really worried me.  While I imagine I could probably manage to stay in the top 1/4 or so of the class, the pressure would be absolutely nightmarish. The thought of going into a class on finals day and knowing that underperforming on a single essay could cost me $20-40k, making my decision to go there at all seem idiotic, would be enough to give me serious mental health problems.  No sir, I don't like it.

Now I'm probably going to Case, which only requires me to maintain a 2.0 to keep the checks rolling in, and all is well. :)
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

Precise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 04:16:37 AM »
i am going to loyola this fall, and i was given a scholarship that had a minimum gpa that needed to be maintained. i asked the dean about this minimum and he said of the 15 or so students that are given this scholarship every year he could only think of one person in last couple of years that did not end up renewing the scholarship for thier tenure at loyola.

he also said that about 80% of the students given the scholarship ended up on law review and/or moot court...

of course every school is different, as our the requirements to maintain a scholarship...

hth

Congrats on your scholarship. I guess what I'm saying applies more towards lower tier schools. I actually got a nice 8k a year scholarship from tier 2 pepperdine and its renewable as long as I maintain good academic standing.

On the flip side, I recieved a 12k a year scholarship from Chapman but in order to maintain that scholarship, I have to stay in the top 12 percent of the class.

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 05:06:00 AM »

hth

Congrats on your scholarship. I guess what I'm saying applies more towards lower tier schools. I actually got a nice 8k a year scholarship from tier 2 pepperdine and its renewable as long as I maintain good academic standing.

On the flip side, I recieved a 12k a year scholarship from Chapman but in order to maintain that scholarship, I have to stay in the top 12 percent of the class.

12% seems super steep, even for chapman. all it takes is a few gunners (maybe top students that need to stay in orange county, who knows) to screw that up for you.for me my gpa requirements mean staying in the top 40-50%, which leaves much more room to move....

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 05:17:53 AM »

be happy you guys actually got scholarships..

i only got one, and it was only for 5k the first year at CU.

>:(
Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »
Thanks for not attending Miami.  I applied to late and all the funds were already distributed.  I'd love to get a piece of that 20k a year scholly you're not going to accept.  Good luck at Case, great school btw.

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 02:34:43 PM »
wow i just looked on your lsn page and saw that you applied to all these schools in mid march and STILL got money

thats crazy

congrats

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 03:17:22 PM »
$$ isnt overrated but needs to be kept in perspective- it should be an influence since LS isnt free but to judge purely or almost entirely on $$ is a mistake i think-  i made this mistake when picking colleges and for LS i just applied everywhere and sure enuff i got a good school to give me money when i didnt expect it (W&L)- so apply wherever you think you would want to go and maybe you can get some cash