Law School Discussion

USC and UCLA visit questions to ask next weekend?

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
USC and UCLA visit questions to ask next weekend?
« on: April 17, 2005, 01:04:05 PM »
Since I couldn't make the admitted students weekend, I am flying down to L.A. to visit both USC and UCLA next Saturday. I will  have to work it out with the schools so I can see both in one day.

I have never toured or visited a law school before. What should I ask about? I am trying to get good enough information to allow me to fairly consider them even though they are lower ranked and have poorer LRAPs than UVA. I know I can't see a class on the weekend, but I'm hoping I can see something, and it's the best I can do.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Re: USC and UCLA visit questions to ask next weekend?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 05:25:51 PM »
Ask about the things that would make each of them better than UVa for you.  I don't know if that would be better SoCal placement (?), more financial aid, lower tuition (if you are in state for UCLA), being able to live in LA for three years. 

Ask to see the classrooms, ask if they can get students to show you around and talk to you, ask them about their QOL, and why they chose their school. 

I'm not sure there is a good reason to choose either of those schools over UVa if you are not planning to practice in LA, unless they are kicking down some major cash.

Since I couldn't make the admitted students weekend, I am flying down to L.A. to visit both USC and UCLA next Saturday. I will  have to work it out with the schools so I can see both in one day.

I have never toured or visited a law school before. What should I ask about? I am trying to get good enough information to allow me to fairly consider them even though they are lower ranked and have poorer LRAPs than UVA. I know I can't see a class on the weekend, but I'm hoping I can see something, and it's the best I can do.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 09:02:35 PM »
Def ask about placement, finances... Visiting on a weekend is tough, since you won't be able to visit classes or experience the dynamic of the law school. A lot of the benefit of visiting is seeing and talking to current students.

If you have any questions about the schools, I would be happy to try to answer them. I have visited all 3 schools (UCLA, USC and UVa) and willl be attending either UCLA or UVa.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 09:09:54 PM »
Hey bruin, I've got some questions for you. 

what factors are you weighing for UCLA v UVA?  I was thinking between UCLA and Penn, but then I just got some money from UVA so they've just popped up on my radar.  I haven't visited however, and I'm not sure I will get a chance to before school lets out.  What did you think of your visit to UVA as compared with USC and UCLA?  How come you are not conisdering NYU?  How were the students at UVA?  how was the administration?  How were the facilities? - I thought UCLA's were not so great.

Thanks.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 01:05:16 AM »
I am not seriously considering NYU b/c of money, and I don't think I would take it over UVa anyway.

There are a lot of things that I am weighing UCLA vs. UVa. UVa's national reputation v. UCLA's position in SoCal (will probably practice in LA), location (SoCal/central VA), Funding (CA budget crisis-UCLA vs. UVa-self funded), Facilities/profs/students...

I don't think UCLA's facilities are THAT bad, but they pale in comparison to UVa's facilities, which are the best that I have seen. I have been pretty impressed with UVa overall. The administration has been friendly, as were the students that I interacted with. From what I saw, UVa's reputation as the "QOL" law school is well-founded.

The law school itself is great, recently finished an expansion/renovation. It is a bit quiet, which some that I talked to saw as a negative. The area around the law school/Charlottesville is beautiful, but keep in mind that C'ville is a fairly small town, which is another of my factors.

I guess that I am just not that impressed with USC. It is a good law school, but I wouldn't pick it over UCLA unless you had a specific reason to do so ($$, for example).

My thoughts are that if you want to practice in LA/SoCal, any of Penn/UCLA/UVa would work fine; not sure if UCLA connections in LA are better than the scarcity of Penn/UVa grads entering the LA market. If you are not from CA and want to work in CA, UCLA is probably your best bet. If you don't plan on practicing in CA, I would take UVa w/$.